IGNORED

New Book - Programming Games for the Colecovision and Adam in Assembler

Tony Cruise

4 minutes ago, Tony Cruise said:

I do definitely prefer using Sublime Text, as it has a very nice presentation style i.e. fonts, colours etc, plus is much more extensible.  It also works on other platforms.  The only caveat is it is not free, so I bought a license.

Since then Visual Studio Code has been released, which is actually built on a similar platform base to Sublime, and is also multi-platform, so I would probably pick that if I started again as it is of course free.

Tiles are definitely the way to go, as to whether you use white lines on either black or transparent background it would depend on whether you want the colour of the squares to change if you change the border colour of the screen at any stage.  So unless that matters then which one you use, won't matter in the end.  Now if you were making it for MSX, there are several MSX machines that allow you to overlay the computer signal with another video feed, which would then show that video in any tiles that used transparent as their background colour.

Fantastic - thank you Tony.  I'll definitely check out Visual Studio Code.

I've been experimenting with the tiles to create a basic screen test pattern and am getting the hang of it.  A simple start compared to coding a game but I'm completely new to programming the CV (or any 8-bit machine) and only have previous experience with BASIC and Visual Basic for Applications.  Anyway, really enjoying this journey which your videos and book are making so much easier.  Just figured out how to change the backdrop colour - wahooo.  Anyway, here's one of the simple test screens I'm working on which has a red border.  This is on a Sony CRT which needs some major geometry adjustments - hence the need for some suitable test patterns.

DSC04079.thumb.JPG.b05dbb62be7f2cbd0a0460794f8bf542.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is a great book but some errors would be in the index which probably ocured from revisions and being rushed out the door because of all this covid nonsense.

I would love to see more BIOS functions, setup and examples such as...

The Book is title with ADAM in it but very little as far as ADAM.

Accessing the disk and tape, printer ect... from assembly language.

I have the original ADAM Users manual with the code listing but you need to be a scientist to figure it out and some of these routines you have to be showed by the guys who wrote them.

Just like I can't read a legal document very well.  I can say the same about an engineering and that thing was written by people who want to look smarter than you.

Tony's book translates a lot of that into plain language as long as you can follow the basic principles of Z80 programing.

However, there is a lot missing from Tony's book but I believe he said there are followups coming.

Then again at over $30 I expected more but I am still going to support the guy within my ability.

• 2 weeks later...

A nice surprise was sitting on my doorstop today, the 1st box of copies of my 2nd book  ‘Programming Games for the Colecovision and Adam’.

So nice to finally see physical copies in all their A4, spiral bound glory!

133801006_1865810840223629_802412589340680954_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=Jni3K3OO9KoAX-Jes1Z&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=23bc31964eab63cd9aec3e631bdfa4e4&oe=6012DF35133513371_1865810846890295_7147072505457232472_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=wKQ0Ozdep7sAX9YAZFM&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=45f8223bdc5b6869bf454d7361c4c9c3&oe=6014B8F8

The print quality is excellent, #cotegamers did a really good job and the spiral binding makes it really easy to view and use the many listings inside.
Copies are still available from Cote Gamers or on Kindle from Amazon.

132796256_1865810843556962_4497225672873279476_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=3M4F6tBNFcIAX_9enk4&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=07737bbe7c22ecab89004336159cc88a&oe=601476F7134339479_1865810850223628_5071573731148121824_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=2sRbZLaLtdoAX8ZAy3f&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=4e67cd6671fa3f3f98ed7c92aa4460ed&oe=6015315F133683836_1865810853556961_5212130960318443651_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=4RHweYNz1dMAX9Bu_Gi&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=0e47ae9092bec1eefa0ab89273b642a1&oe=60148A43
I will also be selling signed copies on my website soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kynrek said:

I purchased the kindle version and when I tried to read it it says that it is unavailable fir download and not compatible with my device (a kindle oasis I just got a few months ago). I can read other kindle books just fine. Am I missing something? 

Have you updated the Kindle, it might need a newer firmware.  Otherwise contact Amazon support, there is nothing that I read in the specs of the Kindle Oasis that would stop it from working.

The only one I know there are issues are the Kindle App on a phone size device.

9 hours ago, Tony Cruise said:

Have you updated the Kindle, it might need a newer firmware.  Otherwise contact Amazon support, there is nothing that I read in the specs of the Kindle Oasis that would stop it from working.

The only one I know there are issues are the Kindle App on a phone size device.

I checked, there are no updated available for the Kindle as it was recently updated. I'll have to try Amazon support.

5 hours ago, kynrek said:

I checked, there are no updated available for the Kindle as it was recently updated. I'll have to try Amazon support.

Let me know how you go, just because no one else has had the same problem doesn't mean there might be a wider problem.  You would expect Amazon to support all of their own book readers though.

• 2 weeks later...

I called amazon support today and the confirmed that the Kindle edition of the book is not compatible with Kindle devices (which seems counterintuitive to me). I missed it when I first purchased the book but there is a "available on these devices" link that you have to click on to see which devices are supported (figured I didn't need to since I was using a Kindle device). Only Kind fire devices or Kindle apps are supported.

I know that there are screenshots and images but I have comics and other books with pictures that work on the Kindle devices so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

image.thumb.png.d48bf473da808f81fa20caf9d1d27e2b.png

Edited by kynrek
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kynrek said:

I called amazon support today and the confirmed that the Kindle edition of the book is not compatible with Kindle devices (which seems counterintuitive to me). I missed it when I first purchased the book but there is a "available on these devices" link that you have to click on to see which devices are supported (figured I didn't need to since I was using a Kindle device). Only Kind fire devices or Kindle apps are supported.

I know that there are screenshots and images but I have comics and other books with pictures that work on the Kindle devices so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

image.thumb.png.d48bf473da808f81fa20caf9d1d27e2b.png

It is what is called a "Print Replica", due to the listings mainly.  Selecting that must limit it to certain types of Kindles (who knew there were so many models!!).  You could still read the book using the Kindle App if that helps.