IGNORED

doubledown's ColecoVision Tutankham - Twin Stick Arcade Controller

doubledown

This one seems a little special as it represents a couple of world firsts (I'm assuming), so I figured I'd give this one it's own thread.  It's probably the first ever, arcade-accurate, Tutankham controller...that wasn't in an arcade cabinet.  It's also probably the first ever, ColecoVision twin-stick controller.

So unveiling my Tutankham Edition - VVG Experience Controller:

9iJHIB.png

Built into a structurally enhanced and weighted, Hammond Mfg. 20" x 11.25" sloped top aluminum enclosure...and featuring:

*WICO 4-way, red ball knob, leaf-switch joystick ("Left" joystick for movement--wired to ColecoVision joystick)

*WICO 2-way, red ball knob, leaf-switch joystick ("Right" joystick for firing--wired to ColecoVision left / right fire buttons)

*Arcade 4-piece, red leaf-switch, push-button (Flash Bomb button--wired to simultaneous left & right fire buttons)

*Arcade 4-piece, white leaf-switch, push-buttons (P1 & P2 start buttons, wired through a 3 position, dual-pole rotary switch to the keypad buttons 1,2,3 & 4,5,6 respectively, for game selection/start)

*NKK momentary push-button w/ clear flip-cover (wired to access the game selection/start menu after your game is over)

*The controls are arcade accurate, including their spacing & arrangement, and the artwork is copied/redrawn from the original arcade cabinet art. 

So now finally, some 38 years after it's original release...I present the proper way, to play the best home port of Tutankham ever commercially released!  Enjoy.

• Like 9

You have done an absolutely wonderful job with this.  And yes the Colecovision version is definitely the best home conversion and one of my favourite games I had for my Colecovision back in the day.

I have actually built a dedicated mini-upright Tutankham arcade cabinet, all done bar the artwork, so I might ask you a favor in the future to perhaps help me with the artwork for the control panel and marquee as of course neither is the same size as the original arcade :)

11 hours ago, mianrtcv said:

Awesome!

It really is, thanks.

10 hours ago, TPR said:

That is a thing of beauty! ?

Agreed.  The artwork took some time with all the tiny little details around the joysticks...but obviously it was worth it.

9 hours ago, Tony Cruise said:

You have done an absolutely wonderful job with this.  And yes the Colecovision version is definitely the best home conversion and one of my favourite games I had for my Colecovision back in the day.

I have actually built a dedicated mini-upright Tutankham arcade cabinet, all done bar the artwork, so I might ask you a favor in the future to perhaps help me with the artwork for the control panel and marquee as of course neither is the same size as the original arcade :)

No artwork...that's half of the appeal/draw!  You'd have to let me know the sizing and layout of you setup to see if we could work something out.  

7 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Very nice!

Thank you sir.

Normally I would have installed the "marquee" artwork and ancillary controls at the top (as I've done with others), but doing so would have moved the joysticks too far down on the 11.25" panel, sacrificing ergonomics, so I did it this way.  Also, the reason that the ancillary controls are in the middle with 2 marquee images on opposite sides (vs. centered marquee, and side offset controls), is so that they won't interfere with your palms/wrists when playing.  

• Like 2

To help out any of those who want to make their own Tutankham ColecoVision controller...here's the wiring schematic I designed/used for the 2nd "Firing" joystick, and "Flash Bomb" button:

sBu9w5.png

This allows for the use of (1) 2-way joystick, and 1 push-button, with no mechanical or electrical modifications required regarding their switches/contacts.  And as wired above, in the "event of a tie" meaning that you are still manipulating the Joystick (shooting) when you press the Flash Bomb button, the Flash Bomb button wins out, and will detonate a Flash Bomb.  

I also had a brainstorm last night regarding my next twin-stick arcade controller.  It will be for the PS1/PS2 (as I don't have a twin stick for the PlayStation yet), and it will be themed for an Atari arcade game from 1982.   

The Tutankham controller can be available for purchase, but first I need to sit down and figure out it's cost/price.  The only potential "issue" with making more of them is the availability of the 2-way WICO joystick...I was able to purchase this one as NOS.  Everything else in the assembly is available as new, but the 2-way joysticks are not currently available/reproduced, so it's a matter of tracking down another/more of these originals.  But I'm sure they can be had on the used market, it would create a small fluctuation in the controllers overall cost due to the "market price" of this part.