IGNORED

Gooninuff - work in progress

Gooninuff_logo_sm.thumb.png.82a68cf38b0742c2619f86be1d242b29.png

Announcement 09.13.2020

(revised on 10.04.2020 for clarity given questions received)

The game has entered beta, but beta testing will NOT be public.
Meaning: the beta version will not be posted here.

Thanks for trying the alpha! The last alpha is below, no additional files will be posted.

Gooninuff is now on the path to a physical release in the near future, stay tuned.

Last alpha version 07.31.2020 -->Gooninuff_alpha07312020.rom

Known issues:

- The yellow guy may get stuck every now and then. 

- Punches will work against enemies regardless of your character's facing. This is intended to make the game more forgiving for now.

- Flames (at advanced levels) may cause artifacts to appear every now and then.

- Water drips may occasionally show glitches.

YouTube / TV coverage of Gooninuff

Thanks for your encouragement!

TV Channel Vision 6 from Spain

The New Retro Show

(Love that moose hat!)

Blog / Magazine coverage of Gooninuff

Retrogaming Magazine - http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2020/08/03/goonies-inspired-gooninuff-for-intellivision-sees-new-alpha-release/

Indie Retro News - http://www.indieretronews.com/2020/10/gooninuff-upcoming-intellivision-game.html

Mechanism - https://mechanism.fr/getRecord.php?id=574

N4G - https://n4g.com/news/2363262/goonies-inspired-gooninuff-for-intellivision-sees-new-alpha-release

Retronagazie (Polish) - http://www.retronagazie.eu/retro-rozmaitosci-pazdziernik-2020/

ROMhacking.ru (Russian) - http://romhacking.ru/news/vsjo_eshhjo_v_razrabotke_gooninuff_na_intellivision/2020-10-03-6881

RetroMagazine World - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2708368312770264&id=2005584959715273

Screenshots:

image.png.3c302f04f1ddafdacbd687fa37540d4c.png image.png.17aa3054c4bc3cdde55d8d7937117987.png  image.png.bed57b12f16ed0097e8077c1a4fe8a51.png  image.png.8f2ce9eaa231a0418f7629d9b86fa900.png

Object of the game

- Rescue your 7 buddies, who are locked in cells throughout the cave.  image.png.79c07db15840a328927a74bab031e1ca.png

- You will need to pick up keys to open those cells. The catch: you can only carry 1 key at a time. image.png.a8ee9743749746e136508317a22090e2.png

- The grey indicator on the upper right corner of the screen will tell you # of buddies rescued, and whether you are carrying a key at the moment.

image.png.10e9c8736261faf7a228225d9d5b7f9b.png = Zero buddies rescued, 1 key on hand.

image.png.39ba1e1b5b68dfaa7633500f8e795cc2.png = 1 buddy rescued, no keys on hand.

- Once all buddies are rescued, look for a blue door somewhere to exit the stage. That door will only open when 7 buddies are rescued. image.png.5d51d3f111e600dd5543f14e992bf9ca.png

- The game has 5 stages. Each one can be cleared by rescuing 7 buddies.

Character leveling system:

(Still being refined)

Level    Min XP    Min Stage Required*       Abilities

-------   --------    ---------------------         ---------------------------------------------------
    0                                                        Can't punch, standard jump, standard speed
    1        300          1                               More HP, Ability to punch
    2        1000        2                               More HP      
    3        2000        3                               More HP, Jump longer
    4        3200        4                               More HP  
    5        5000        5                               More HP, Super speed 

* For instance, you won't be able to upgrade your character all the way to level 4 while still playing Stage 1. Level 4 can only be reached once you reach stage 4 at a minimum.

The leveling system is intended to reward players for taking risks and exploring each stage really well.

On the other hand, one can still finish the game without a lot of exploration, but missing out on additional HP and abilities.

If you are gaining a level at the beginning of each stage, you are probably doing it right.

How to gain XP

---------------

Doing certain things will let you accumulate XP and eventually level up.

Picking up sacks = 100 points
Killing Skulls = 5
Killing Bats = 10
Killing Skeletons = 10
Killing Ghosts = 30
Punching Yellow Guy = 0**
Opening cells = 50***

** yeah, that would be too easy!

*** it does not matter what is inside.

Controls

- Keypad is not used.

- Right/left: move around.

- Lateral buttons: jump and punch -- PLEASE NOTE: at the beginning of the game you won't be able to punch. Need to level up first.

- Up/Down: will climb vines. Also press up to go through the big skull teleporters, and the big blue door once it is open.

image.png.0b74cea0563618e332f2f84962b1d7be.png

Tips

- The yellow guy can't be killed. Best to avoid him and his bullets, or just punch him. He will stand up after a while.  

image.png.828a2395ececae1050361aca9d2b258a.png

- Skulls, bats, skeletons (including the bones they throw at you) and ghosts on the other hand can be destroyed with punches.

(Ghosts take 3 punches and will go white -> yellow -> red -> dead.)

image.png.9a15bba6b905c795f148fee3afcdaeca.png  image.png.7c005fe626a49c3e9138477c735451d4.png image.png.fb32f7194601e0ab6d5198248347abec.png image.png.c3798cbc54b220df3617ff2f8ab9b413.png

- Green bottles found inside cells will replenish your energy.

image.png.04175f56d1a43fd14870fd1fbb2204e5.png

- Picking up sacks is very important for accumulating XP. Sacks show up when you pick up certain objects during the game.

image.png.bd7cc041725c2127debe30dc42f9b629.png 

- Environmental hazards can hurt you: water, fire, falling stalactites, pipe leaks, etc.

- Being smashed under a rock pendulum means instant death.

Also, please note it is possible to ride pendulums like elevators, but pay attention as you can get smashed on the way up as well!

image.png.a0257b26157a1e569389f7868beeeba3.png

- No damage from falling, however. Enjoy some long jumps! This is a video game after all.

Expect to find bugs and glitches, this is an early development version.

Remember it's also free!

Feel free to share whatever issues you find, but please be kind and constructive ;-) 

Credits

Main song and video on/off hack by Carlsson.

Various GFX upgrades by Black_Tiger

SFX and additional theme song by Nyuundere.

Additional music by First Spear.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 14

Amazing! Well done. ??

It looks incredibly like the MSX version.

BTW, not played Goonies too much before, but I saw a water drop touches you at distance when you are going up from below and still not reached the black background.

Edit: I'm amazed by how big is the game and how small is your ROM. Another suggestion, a rolling animation for water, simply moving one pixel right circularly the bitmap. It would work both for water and lava.

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, nanochess said:

Amazing! Well done. ??

It looks incredibly like the MSX version.

BTW, not played Goonies too much before, but I saw a water drop touches you at distance when you are going up from below and still not reached the black background.

Edit: I'm amazed by how big is the game and how small is your ROM. Another suggestion, a rolling animation for water, simply moving one pixel right circularly the bitmap. It would work both for water and lava.

Thanks Oscar! Good suggestions!

Please keep in mind even though there is some compression applied, this is not the full game yet.

14 minutes ago, nanochess said:

Just made a video. I stopped playing the game after I found a graphic corruption bug that shows at the end of video.

Ha! That's a new one! 

Sorry about that, you were so close to completing the stage ;-)

You play well BTW.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, nanochess said:

Just made a video. I stopped playing the game after I found a graphic corruption bug that shows at the end of video.

What?  Is Intellivision a Colecovision now? 

Goonies, I only completed the 1st level of that game on the Colecovision and did find that hidden items.  I haven't solve the 2nd level yet.  It's really cool how you got it close to the original version. 

54 minutes ago, Steve Jones said:

Very cool so far, my only request is can you map Punch to both lower controller buttons, the way I hold mine I typically press the ones on the right side.

Thanks for this.

image.thumb.png.3bd27f812c2486293fb86aeb42380f15.png

Watch out :omfg: 

it looks like there's someone hiding behind your computer:peep:

:screwed:

:rofl1:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Steve Jones said:

Very cool so far, my only request is can you map Punch to both lower controller buttons, the way I hold mine I typically press the ones on the right side.

Thanks for this.

B318BD01-35C0-4990-A541-A2470AFCF453.jpeg

Ok makes sense.

(That's the kind of stuff that the LTO will help me catch ;-))

Great work!  I just played through it on the LTO Flash on my Intellivision II.  One issue I seemed to notice is that bats would move some 24 pixels vertically at a time, one particular one would go out of screen, and then redisplay as a doubley sprite with part of the player's legs.  It always seemed to happen on the same screen in the green cave area. 

Very minor issues all in all.   I could have sworn I also died and restarted still holding a key, but have been unable to replicate.  I wish I was paying more attention to what led up to the issue, but maybe just a variable not being cleared after game over?

The game plays really well, and is coming along nicely!

1 minute ago, skywaffle said:

Great work!  I just played through it on the LTO Flash on my Intellivision II.  One issue I seemed to notice is that bats would move some 24 pixels vertically at a time, one particular one would go out of screen, and then redisplay as a doubley sprite with part of the player's legs.  It always seemed to happen on the same screen in the green cave area. 

Very minor issues all in all.   I could have sworn I also died and restarted still holding a key, but have been unable to replicate.  I wish I was paying more attention to what led up to the issue, but maybe just a variable not being cleared after game over?

The game plays really well, and is coming along nicely!

Thanks! I will take a look at those bugs!

When I get a little bit of time, I will play it more and try to elaborate on the issues if needed.   I was more excited to play the game than to worry about the bugs.   Its really looking good.   I also didn't experience the graphic corruption that was displayed in Nanochess' video during my playthrough.  Hopefully that one is not tough to track down.  I know on some of my projects, I have run into similar issues if the game code spills into the wrong address locations, or if I try to read an array beyond the maximum that is defined.

Stage 2 work in progress.

New enemy added: the skeleton.

He will generally roam around, unless he spots you. In that case, he will start throwing bones in your direction.

The good news is that those bones can be punched.

Also some engine improvements. Now faster, with fewer slowdown situations.

Now able to animate multiple pendulums on the same screen.

Waterfalls are now animated as the water flows. 

Squashed a few bugs here and there.

Included theme song provided by Nyuundere.

• Like 4

@cmadruga Any chance you could share the code to your joystick handling? (here or private) We have been tweaking joystick handling in Argon, and we're seeing something odd where left/right joystick isn't working in this game, but various keypad keys will work for right/left (when they probably should not!). Classic games are working fine, ditto for others I think are done in IntyBasic (ie, the Deep Zone demo). Clearly a bug on our side, but it might help us to see your side to see what is triggering (ha) it.

27 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

@cmadruga Any chance you could share the code to your joystick handling? (here or private) We have been tweaking joystick handling in Argon, and we're seeing something odd where left/right joystick isn't working in this game, but various keypad keys will work for right/left (when they probably should not!). Classic games are working fine, ditto for others I think are done in IntyBasic (ie, the Deep Zone demo). Clearly a bug on our side, but it might help us to see your side to see what is triggering (ha) it.

Hmmm, interesting. It definitely works on jzintv. I know Steve Jones was able to play it on an LTO as well.

Does it work up/down? What about punch/jump buttons?

Looking at the code, there's a lot of stuff around it, but it comes down to calling a Read_controller procedure every other frame.

Inside that procedure, I'm using CONT.UP, CONT.DOWN, CONT.LEFT, CONT.RIGHT, CONT.B0, CONT.B1, CONT.B2.

There is an IF/THEN statement for each one, and checks for various conditions before updating the protagonist's coordinates.

For instance, for moving left it looks like this:

IF CONT.LEFT AND (PROT_STATE AND PROT_CLIMBING_STATE)=0 AND PROT_JUMPING=0 AND (PROT_STATE AND PROT_PUNCHING_STATE)=0 THEN 

<check for obstacles to movement>

<if no obstacles, update X coordinate>

<if close to the edge of the screen, change screens>

It may be worth testing other homebrews, or writing a simple program to test the controls.

1 hour ago, cmadruga said:

Does it work up/down? What about punch/jump buttons?

Up/Down are not working (in Argon) either. Punch/Jump work fine (top and left/right fire buttons), and I can use clear/0/enter for left and 4/5/6 for right. If I press 5&7 at the same time, that does a punch. I think it will likely turn out to be a problem in how we are handling the way the keypad gets strobed. I wouldn't worry about it -- if it is working on real hardware, then it is our bug to fix.

Screenshot_20200621-131637.png

Is there perhaps a difference between programs using CONT that combines both inputs, and programs using CONT1 and CONT2 separately?

There is a test program samples/controller.bas supplied with the IntyBASIC compiler. It tests both controllers individually. There also is a program contrib/keypad.bas that tests the keypads of both controllers in a combined fashion. You should be able to compile and modify those programs in different forms to read one or both controllers and see on your platform if there is any difference.

5 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Is there perhaps a difference between programs using CONT that combines both inputs, and programs using CONT1 and CONT2 separately?

There is a test program samples/controller.bas supplied with the IntyBASIC compiler. It tests both controllers individually. There also is a program contrib/keypad.bas that tests the keypads of both controllers in a combined fashion. You should be able to compile and modify those programs in different forms to read one or both controllers and see on your platform if there is any difference.

In earlier versions, we were indeed having issues where we were activating both CONT1 and CONT2, and it appeared that was problematic for some games.

Is the idea in IntyBASIC that CONT is a bitwise OR of CONT1/CONT2 for a particular button/direction? Or does it somehow "decide" which controller is being used based on activity, or something else? On real hardware, can you switch between the two controllers at will (for a 1 player game) and it all works fine? I have original hardware, but don't have an LTO or similar, so no way to try home-brews with it.