IGNORED

Gooninuff - work in progress

CONT1 (left controller) is $01FF complemented, CONT2 (right controller) is $01FE complemented, CONT is the two inputs AND:ed together so both controllers should work at the same time.

Also it seems that some of the bits of the input are shared between the disc and keypad, meaning you can't decode both at the same time so possibly that is why you are able to use the keypad for directions.

Updates:

- Finished porting all Stage 2 screens

- More fluid animation for water drops

- Pendulum now drops all the way and will smash the floor.

- Randomized activation sequence (timer) for pipe leaks and water drops. The synchronized activation I had before was too easy on the player! Also if more than one pendulum is on screen, those will move in different directions as well. 

- Fixed various glitches, reduced #variables used, got some performance improvements.

• Like 9

On 6/28/2020 at 5:39 AM, artrag said:

It looks great! One thing I remember from the msx version is that you can walk on pendulums when they are aligned to the platforms and you can use them as a sort of lift across two platforms

This is now implemented on the latest alpha.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:07 PM, nanochess said:

BTW, not played Goonies too much before, but I saw a water drop touches you at distance when you are going up from below and still not reached the black background.

Edit: I'm amazed by how big is the game and how small is your ROM. Another suggestion, a rolling animation for water, simply moving one pixel right circularly the bitmap. It would work both for water and lava.

In this latest alpha, the water drop issue has been fixed.

Also waterfalls have some animation now.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 10:06 PM, nanochess said:

I stopped playing the game after I found a graphic corruption bug that shows at the end of video.

I haven't encountered any graphic corruptions in this latest version, but please let me know in case you find something.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 7:49 PM, skywaffle said:

One issue I seemed to notice is that bats would move some 24 pixels vertically at a time, one particular one would go out of screen, and then redisplay as a doubley sprite with part of the player's legs.  It always seemed to happen on the same screen in the green cave area. 

Bats seem to behave better in this latest version.

They are expected to be able to fly through this tile with no restrictions, maybe those are the big vertical movements you've seen?

Let me know if you continue to see similar issues or glitches...

image.png.8091a1e58046cb0d05ab6dd694708f34.png

On 6/17/2020 at 7:49 PM, skywaffle said:

Very minor issues all in all.   I could have sworn I also died and restarted still holding a key, but have been unable to replicate.  I wish I was paying more attention to what led up to the issue, but maybe just a variable not being cleared after game over?

I haven't seen this happening, but either way in this latest version I tried to organize a little better all the variable initializations.

Edited by cmadruga

I have played a little of your latest version and still notice the same issue with bats.  I uploaded a video to show what I mean.

I also pulled out the Intellivision 1 and tried it on that and got the same result.

Some screens the bats behave slightly different, but still jump 16 pixels vertically, they just don't go out of the normal Y boundaries.

It's interesting that the behavior doesn't happen on JZIntv.  I've rarely seen differences between testing games on the emulator versus the LTO.  Out of curiosity, are you using the standard 42k addresses for Gooninuff?  I noticed the ROM is fairly large in size, but was not sure if you were resorting to page flipping.  That is still something I have not experimented with.

Oh so you never saw it on the Jzintv either? I was going to say I’ve been unable to replicate it so far, and I have been using Jzintv only.

I’m not doing page flipping, to be honest my goal is to make it fit without it. I did some tweaks to encoding since this last alpha that I think will give me a realistic shot, even though it may be tight.

Could it be something related to where I’m starting/stopping each segment? 

No on JZintv it works fine.  But the problem persists with every bat every time on the LTO.  I have had weird things happen when code goes outside of the memory addresses. (like when code in the $5000-$6FFF range spills into $7000)

Most times though the game just will not run, however, I have had times where graphics would get corrupted or other strange things happen.

4 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Oh so you never saw it on the Jzintv either? I was going to say I’ve been unable to replicate it so far, and I have been using Jzintv only.

5 hours ago, skywaffle said:

It's interesting that the behavior doesn't happen on JZIntv.  I've rarely seen differences between testing games on the emulator versus the LTO.  

Not sure, but I'd imagine that if there is a difference between jzintv and real hardware, then this may be something that @intvnut may be able to help with to get the emulator emulating the same way as the real hardware.

8 hours ago, skywaffle said:

how is the bat sine movement done?  Is it a data statement of y offsets that get cycled through?  

Yes, exactly.

In addition, the bat will gradually adjust the center of that sine based on whether the player Y is above or below it.

I should get my hands on an LTO this week. Hopefully I will be in condition to isolate the issue. 

Also, I confirmed by looking at the .lst that segments are ok, and no errors came out.

Edited by cmadruga

Tested Gooninuff today on an LTO, and confirmed that bat glitch. Will be doing some investigation.

On a side note, I just ported all Stage 3 screens. 

Thanks to encoding and compression improvements, the rom still shrank 10% in size after plugging Stage 3.

It looks like there will be sufficient space to bring in Stages 4 and 5 after all! ?

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, First Spear said:

Man, this is so impressive, you have smoked my head! Wow!

Are you using MUSIC GOSUB and other stuff to keep the music tight? Are there plans to add more background tunes? I think you are only using one tone channel, is that correct?

Thanks! 

I'm using just 2 background tunes at the moment, contributed by Nyuundere and Carlsson. No MUSIC GOSUB used. 

Let me send you a PM.

New enemy introduced: the ghost.

The ghost is a true pest. It will appear in some rooms and then proceed to chase the player.

It is capable of passing through anything, no obstacles can contain it.

Punches will push it back, but it takes several hits to kill it. Even then, it will just re-spawn.

Better to avoid it and move on!

BTW these are Stage 4 screens. The ghost is intended to be an advanced type of enemy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cmadruga said:

New enemy introduced: the ghost.

The ghost is a true pest. It will appear in some rooms and then proceed to chase the player.

It is capable of passing through anything, no obstacles can contain it.

Punches will push it back, but it takes several hits to kill it. Even then, it will just re-spawn.

Better to avoid it and move on!

BTW these are Stage 4 screens. The ghost is intended to be an advanced type of enemy.

Wow. This is very quickly moving up my most anticipated list. ??

• Like 3