IGNORED

Blocks (Completed!) - Formerly BBlocks

Just Jeff

Hello!  JeremiahK and I have been working hard at this Atari 2600 version of Bejeweled and its coming along nicely.  The attached version is partially playable, no scoring or game over yet.

If you are not familiar with the game its pretty straight forward.  Switch two blocks to make runs of three or more blocks of the same color.  When you do, the blocks disappear and new ones fall in from the top.

Tip:  On this version, to switch blocks, select one by pressing and holding the fire button on the first block, then point the joystick to the other tile that you want to switch it with.

Bin attached..  Enjoy!

image.thumb.png.588018390f14568d20957ec87c810a2c.png

BBlocks.bin

Edited by Just Jeff
  • Like 16

Adding a reply so I get notifications.

It's been a very productive week! Just Jeff and I have been brainstorming and hammering out the code this past week or so, starting from a static kernel display.  These past two days have been the biggest breakthrough, everything fell into place.

It's still very rough, but all the Bejeweled gameplay functionality is there, and in just under 1K of code!

• Like 1

Very nice!

Minor idea: Have a slightly different sound for an attempt to move the cursor off the board. (This is just one of those tiny things the "brain" tends to like.)

However, evaluating the game over state is probably of higher priority – and quite a challenge, given the limited amount of memory. :-)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JeremiahK said:

Adding a reply so I get notifications.

It's been a very productive week! Just Jeff and I have been brainstorming and hammering out the code this past week or so, starting from a static kernel display.  These past two days have been the biggest breakthrough, everything fell into place.

It's still very rough, but all the Bejeweled gameplay functionality is there, and in just under 1K of code!

There's an orange "Follow" clickable "button" on the top right of the page, which you click to ... follow this content.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NoLand said:

Very nice!

Minor idea: Have a slightly different sound for an attempt to move the cursor off the board. (This is just one of those tiny things the "brain" tends to like.)

However, evaluating the game over state is probably of higher priority – and quite a challenge, given the limited amount of memory. ?

That's a pretty good idea I think...  Jeremy and I will discuss it.  Not a difficult task at all.

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

Very cool! BeSquared!  ;)

That's a contender!

There has been much progress.  We even had a conference call to discuss project status/strategy.  We're knocking items off the grid or at least reducing them to the point that they are column 2 or 3 level items.  The game is more playable and the project grid is less formidable. New .bin attached.

2020-06-19.thumb.png.e3494d7736046debac9529e29d98f434.png

357401334_2020-06-19(1).thumb.png.6851d835d112cbfcaadec06df5804a80.png

main.asm.bin

• Like 4

Thanks Omegamatrix!

7 hours ago, tabar said:

how about outlining the block and have the outline blink when you choose?

I had thought of that, but there isn't really a way to do that.  The ball wouldn't be wide enough, and we are already using all the other objects/colors.  I think the flashing block is fine, although we can always tweak the way it flashes.

21 minutes ago, Omegamatrix said:

The game is currently sitting at 266 lines, so consider correcting it by losing the 4 blank lines below the bottom time bar.

Yes, that is not final.  We are definitely going for a steady 262 line 60hz display.

Also, if anyone loads the game up on a Harmony cart, note that I am aware that the colors need to be improved.  Some are fine, but green is especially icky.

We'll be checking out BBlocks on tomorrow's (Sun Jun 21) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, JeremiahK said:

Let me know when you need the final bin for the stream.  I am going to try and get the scoreboard functioning by then

Awesome, having the score in the game would be excellent for showing it off tomorrow! Having it at least an hour before we go to air would be great, so 10AM PT. Thanks so much, looking forward to it.

- James

23 minutes ago, h0trod said:

I love the look of this game.  What technique generates a scoreboard like that?

Thank you.. good question..

Well Its using the playfield, player 0 and player 1 to make the blocks so we can store 3 colors before the beam gets anywhere.  Then, registers a,x, and y are loaded up with 3 more colors. Still plenty of time and only 2 colors to go.  In fact, we waste10 or 12 cycles to let the beam get far enough along, then do the stores, and load, store, load, store for the last 2.  The score is actually a 48 pixel display with the last zero being drawn with 2 moving missiles.  Makes sense?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Just Jeff said:

Thank you.. good question..

Well Its using the playfield, player 0 and player 1 to make the blocks so we can store 3 colors before the beam gets anywhere.  Then, registers a,x, and y are loaded up with 3 more colors. Still plenty of time and only 2 colors to go.  In fact, we waste10 or 12 cycles to let the beam get far enough along, then do the stores, and load, store, load, store for the last 2.  The score is actually a 48 pixel display with the last zero being drawn with 2 moving missiles.  Makes sense?

Thanks - it all makes for a really impressive visual!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 8:12 PM, h0trod said:

I love the look of this game.  What technique generates a scoreboard like that?

Using Fixed Debug Colors mode reveals the clever trick for a 7-digit score where the last digit is always 0:

main_asm.thumb.png.ade65ffeb284fe538c33adf4f41f7eb5.png

The colors for each object are:

979641110_ScreenShot2020-06-25at12_24_28PM.png.b1115ba19cc96860b79106fb09203266.png

Back in 2012 @Omegamatrix came up with a 7-digit score routine that lets you use all 7 digits.

SevenFullSizedDigits.png

During that discussion he came up with the LED display that I used in Space Rocks.

Two Scores2.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Just Jeff said:

Oh..  I see now I misunderstood his question somewhat.  Sorry about that!  Thanks SpiceWare..

You did answer it:

On 6/23/2020 at 9:02 PM, Just Jeff said:

The score is actually a 48 pixel display with the last zero being drawn with 2 moving missiles.

I was just pointing out to @h0trod that using Stella's Fixed Debug Color mode is a useful tool to figure out how things are done.

• Like 1

Good Morning,

Here is the first successful try at game-over detection.  It simply changes the background color around the score to red when it has determined you lost.  Its green when it detects a possible move.  It seems to work well, but its a lot of code that will surely be rewritten one way or another. (Only 39 bytes left of the 2K)  .bin attached.

Apparently I've been playing this game all wrong.  Trying to lose, I've been achieving my highest scores!

image.thumb.png.a00b694122ae4eb123feaac32a556176.png

Updated grid shows only 2 items left in the left column, and those are fairly well progressed.

image.thumb.png.dcf6f151c79e36ee00e603a633fdf6cf.png

main.asm.bin

• Like 4