IGNORED

How to run Bas files from Atr Images

Hi all

Sorry in advance if I am sounding thick but I have an atari 400 computer and a sdrivemax drive plugged into it now I now how to load a bas file on its own as a tape via the sddrive but I have got some atr images which boot up into dos 2.5 when I search the disk it shows it has bas files on it but how do I get the bas files to load off the disk image.

Again sorry if I sound stupid but any help would be great.

Many Thanks in advance

48 minutes ago, traindriver69 said:

So I need to buy a basic cartridge to run bas off an atr.

On the original Atari 400/800 you are correct.  The later XL/XE series had Atari BASIC onboard in ROM.

You should be able to find a BASIC cart really cheap.  RAM gets tight on a stock 400.  If you plan on doing much you might consider upgrading to 48K if you haven't already.  Especially if using DOS.

• Confused 1

Once you get the cartridge boot the disk to the ready prompt and type the name of the file in this fashion.

RUN"D:filename.bas

That will load and run the file, if you want to just load it then replace RUN with LOAD

If you are unsure of the filename then at the ready prompt type DOS (as long as the disk has DOS on it) and press A to directory the disk and then when you have the file name press B to return to BASIC and repeat the first command.