IGNORED

Brain Dead First Impressions & Rough Game Play Footage! Do You Like this Game!?

Adriano Arcade

I think I'm still scarred by the first (and only time) I played Dragon's Lair as a kid, I think it was a buck or two (back when most games were 25c or 50c) and I realized you don't really "play" the game. There's an empty longbox for it on EBay already going for over $300...time to cash out as I'll never get $300 worth of fun out of that game.

• Like 2

It was the last game I needed to complete my collection. At the time I could get the jewel case version no problem and the price wasn't too bad. I had to have the longbox to consider it complete though and it took me quite a while to be happy bidding on one. Ultimately I think I paid $125 to finish the collection up. I wasn't too happy with that price but it didn't seem like the situation was going to get any better so I went for it. As for the game itself... I'm not crazy about these games. They can be frustrating indeed. The animation really is great though.

• Like 1

My opinions on these is very similar to the @btbfilms76's Jag Bar episodes covering them (Love this series BTW): Dragon's Lair has a special place in my heart because the local pizza parlor where we had all our after-soccer-game pizza parties had it, and FMV or not, it was breathtaking graphics-wise at the time.  I think I played it maybe once as a kid, but my eye always wandered over to it while I was waiting for my turn at Street Fighter II or something.  On the Jag these days, Dragon's Lair is playable, and I get some side benefit that my daughter's like to play it with me.  I'm not bothered so much these day by the lack of "real" interactivity as I was as a kid, so the genre as a whole has grown on me.  However, I still consider Space Ace basically unplayable.  I've gotten maybe 5 segments into that max and I still often find myself missing a move on the first screen from time to time.  Haven't had the joy of experiencing Brain Dead in the arcade or on the Jag yet, but I'm sure I'll give it a whirl at some point.  It looks to be more on the Dragon's Lair side of things, thankfully.

Overall, thanks for the video @Adriano Arcade.  My humble feedback is they seem to be improving as you work through the collection, the gameplay footage is a welcome addition (Maybe add some gameplay companion videos for the already covered games?), and I love seeing another parent introducing their kids to the classics... or not so classics as it may be ? 

Edited by cubanismo
  • Like 1

I got the PC version some time ago, and I think I finished it, but I really don't remember a lot of it.  Just the scene where the kid pokes his head into the attic and scares the cat, who shreds his head into cartoony triangles in response.

It was an interesting game, though the fun was more in watching the hijinx than in playing it.

• Like 1

My friend and I played it when it was new, in the nineties, on the Playstation. It was a fun game for a night. We highly enjoyed and laughed at the idea of some kid sitting down to play, watching his character die every gruesome way possible. Most of the death sequences were hysterical from what I remember. Even though, there is no way I would spend hundreds of dollars for the Jaguar version. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cubanismo said:

On the Jag these days, Dragon's Lair is playable, and I get some side benefit that my daughter's like to play it with me.  I'm not bothered so much these day by the lack of "real" interactivity as I was as a kid, so the genre as a whole has grown on me.  However, I still consider Space Ace basically unplayable.  I've gotten maybe 5 segments into that max and I still often find myself missing a move on the first screen from time to time. 

I've always found Space Ace to be far more playable than Dragon's Lair, even back in the arcades.   Space Ace has a repeatable story progression, and moves that make more sense in the context of the action.

Dragon's Lair will throw scenes at you seemingly at random, and the moves don't always make sense.   An object will flash, am I supposed to hit the button or move towards it?  But the object is diagonal from me, which way am I supposed to move.   It's also very unforgiving on timing.   I have it on PS4 now, and there's a setting that will show you what button you are supposed to press at any given time, which just confirms to me that the controls are not logical in some cases.

I like the atmosphere of Dragon's Lair better, but playing it is so frustrating.   I love Nostalgia Nerd's video on DL with Don Bluth, he sums up the frustration well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2020 at 12:21 PM, Adriano Arcade said:
Brain Dead 13 is one of the rarest Atari Jaguar CD games! I managed to get my grubby mitts on a copy!
I decided to record my initial first impressions and my son Tate's and include some very amateur game play footage! Enjoy! Any fans of this interactive movie game?!

Never understood why the Playstation and PC Press devoted so much press to it, myself ?

• Like 1

Brain dead 13 was fun on the Jaguar CD back when it was released , kinda hard and I believe I only got to s certain point   Never finished it. 

Dragons lair was the best of the bunch on the Jaguar. The moves could be done by just holding the direction in advance , so it only came down to knowing when to push up down left right or the button, the process of elimination and the game was easy to beat .the transition from scene to scene was good.  

Space Ace was frustrating , I was expecting it to be as good as Dragons lair , it wasn’t. Controls were much harder and I don’t think I ever finished that game on the Jaguar. I’d play it again though. 

I really wanted to see Dragons lair 2 come out on the Jaguar , it’s a shame it didn’t happen. Maybe it was completed ?