IGNORED

Season 10~ Week 7 ~ Cosmic Commuter

Vocelli

Missed this game entirely back in the Activision golden age.  The only time I had ever played it was back in Season 6.  And that was part of a three game set, so I didn't play it much.  My PB in Season 6 was 14,372, so I already a have a new PB on Day 1 here.  I think this is gonna be a fun week.  ? ?

Cosmic Commuter (1984) (Activision)_2.png

• Like 3

Cosmic Commuter-115,849.

Yeah, I'm as stunned as anyone else.

I gotta say, I know, and like this game-but I'm not a marathoner, lol, my Friends here know that, I'm an old fashioned speed runner-don't race me. Is a bad idea. Play me for points, seriously, don't get between me and a timer, I don't like that...:D

(Teasing).

Anyway.

I actually have a Pal that is very, very good at this game, willing to show me a bit more on how to score better, but I think I'm done-this was an hour and change, and I just don't have the stamina for that type run, beer-helmet in place or not, and TBH when the game was announced, 100k was my automatic "personal goal", and again, I'm not here to win, just to have fun, so...This is probably it, I'm gonna chase the Beamrider patch score for the next few days.

:P

This isn't a "terrible" score, tho I am sure others will pull some big nasties on it, but I guess is good enough to warrant "what I think" advice...

Don't bother shooting stuff, unless you need to get it out of your way-it seems so, but that's just not what this game is about-you are a Space Bus Driver, your job is to pick up passengers as quickly as possible and get them to the station-this isn't Defender.

You'll notice quickly-the things you shoot are worth one whole point. So you see the futility of bothering I am talking about.

Fly low,(move to the left, BTW, not the right), and find a "line" that lets you shoot enemies by barely moving, but still trying to move quickly-pick up fuel when you can, but occasionally you can skip it. Tap the stick left for speed, don't hold it, you'll die.

The different levels have different enemies, which kinda repeat, with different behaviors that you can get used to(stupid peanuts...).

Landing the ship isn't hard after a bit-this was, honest to goodness, my second go on hardware, and I don't think I crashed on the landing pad once.

Well, Good Luck, Everyone, wish me luck on the Beams!!!

2600CosmicCommuter115849.png

• Like 8

21,990. Still only half-way to my personal best, which still wasn't exactly Rogerpoco or Old Man G caliber but respectable for a hack like me. Feels like only yesterday when we played this last time, but it's actually been three years.

Cosmic Commuter (1984) (Activision).png

Edited by AtariWarlord
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Never played this one before (that I can remember, anyway.)  30,250!

This game is a lot like Space Jockey, with one exception...this one is actually fun!  :)

For the marathon players, I'm assuming it would be cool to take breaks in between levels/lives.  Seems like it's kind of a built-in pause feature.  Would this be correct/allowed?

Cosmic Commuter (1984) (Activision) (16K).png

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Apologies for being so chatty, I think it's mostly the Activision stuff calling to me, lol.

Anyway-mentioned the game to Wife this morning, bragged about how badly I was smashing you Guys so far(teasing), and mentioned that(I think)I actually nominated this for play this season.

She said it was pretty obvious that I had "set ya'll up", lol, on a game I was "good" at...

I actually promise, that's not true-it's a game I had an interest in, but tbh, there is no patch score(yet...stay tuned...), and really no scoring competition on it where I usually play-again, I had to break down and play it on PS2 just to "chase scores", and that version is pretty wonky.

So I don't have much experience on this game, I promise, but have hoped for an opportunity to "need" to play it, I believe I even mentioned that when nominating it, now that I think about it(too lazy to look).

My buddy(I'm usually a name dropper, but I believe this Guy maintains a low social profile)says it can be easily maxed, just takes a while, and it does seem to get a bit repetitive towards 75k, so I could see that, tho I personally likely couldn't do it.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Deteacher said:

For the marathon players, I'm assuming it would be cool to take breaks in between levels/lives.  Seems like it's kind of a built-in pause feature.  Would this be correct/allowed?

If allowed, assume that pause feature is for SHORT BREAKS (maximum of 5 minutes to go to the bathroom or drink a water, for example).

Remember the Video Cassette Recorder (VHS tapes) and audio cassette tape owner's manual: PAUSE button is for short breaks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/20/2020 at 8:03 AM, Deteacher said:

Never played this one before (that I can remember, anyway.)  30,250!

This game is a lot like Space Jockey, with one exception...this one is actually fun!  :)

Cosmic Commuter (1984) (Activision) (16K).png

Yes, you can take a break. Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Deteacher said:

37,813.  Small improvement.  Frustrating when you have a "perfect run", only to crash before getting back to the rocket.  :(

Cosmic Commuter (1984) (Activision) (16K)_1.png

It seems like somehow the game puts to into spots where you crash with an almost full load of passengers, that's what killed my first submitted run.

Mebbe it's just nerves, getting "to the end", but it seems like the game changes up what it is doing for the last couple passengers to try to catch you.

• Like 1

Well this one hurt!!

Got the Job done though!! ? I really wanted this one, basically because the Guy who created H.E.R.O. ( one of my all time favorite games ) created this one.

Ill post a video when its ready to show the strategy, but the KEY for this one is NOT dying at all, extra men are earned at 10,000 pts and you can get up to 9.

But its the bonus points after each level completed that is very important, a no death run will yield 100,000 pts every half hour, obviously if you lose men you lose the bonus and then you lose the time, because you have do that level again.

COSMIC COMMUTER : ROLLAGE! ( 1,000,000 points )

Before Rollage

298812011_b4rollage.thumb.JPG.ce963055951249c792825842a9e4d98e.JPG

After ( pretty glad it stops ) it took near on 6 hours to do. As you can see I was happy to have finished!!

max.thumb.JPG.b2b5efc15349f4e91263d89bb474aecf.JPG

My Set-up

IMG_5354.thumb.jpg.77f7972515e591b7ccf78f29eb266819.jpg

Edited by nads
  • Like 12

16 minutes ago, nads said:

Well this one hurt!!

Got the Job done though!! ? I really wanted this one, basically because the Guy who created H.E.R.O. ( one of my all time favorite games ) created this one.

Ill post a video when its ready to show the strategy, but the KEY for this one is NOT dying at all, extra men are earned at 10,000 pts and you can get up to 9.

But its the bonus points after each level completed that is very important, a no death run will yield 100,000 pts every half hour, obviously if you lose men you lose the bonus and then you lose the time, because you have do that level again.

COSMIC COMMUTER : ROLLAGE! ( 1,000,000 points )

Before Rollage

298812011_b4rollage.thumb.JPG.ce963055951249c792825842a9e4d98e.JPG

After ( pretty glad it stops ) it took near on 6 hours to do. As you can see I was happy to have finished!!

max.thumb.JPG.b2b5efc15349f4e91263d89bb474aecf.JPG

My Set-up

IMG_5354.thumb.jpg.77f7972515e591b7ccf78f29eb266819.jpg

I knew you'd be the one, Charlie, I just KNEW it!!!

Wow. WOOOW!

Wanted to see this happen. Really, really did.

Congrats, Man, Top-Notch!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pat Larocque said:

Any particular strategy you're using on this one? Why quit after such a big score when you have so many extra men left also?

There are useful tips which you can read on 2600 OLD High Score Club, Season 5 / Week 17:

Cosmic Commuter on 2600 OLD HSC (January 2008)!

As a particular strategy, I used the following hint by TOYMAILMAN (for Levels 4, 8, 12 and 16):

"I found waves 4 and 8 the easiest. I called it the yellow (and pink) pods rounds. This is because there is a spot slightly above the bottom where you can fly a top speed and hold down the fire button and just advance to where the next commuter is with no skill at all. This is because these obsticles "adjust" to your exact flying level. Perfectly aligned for you to blast them with your eyes closed. You only need to come up for fuel and then its back down for some high speed blasting."

About my score, my goal is NOT to crack my personal best score on Cosmic Commuter - 515,000 on Game 1 B/B (2600 NEW HSC Season 6, Weeks 24 and 25 - July 2017); also, my target score for this contest is 100,000 points.

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1