IGNORED

Moments in games that made/make you rage-quit, swear, break/throw things, etc.

Hey all.

Either classic games or newer games, what particular moments make/made you curse like a sailor, slam that "Power" or "Reset" button, throw something or break something?  This can be way back to when you were a kid (where immaturity like that should be more likely) or more present-day when you just lose it (shame!  J/K; I do it sometimes).  

One that used to get me mad enough to swear in my late teens-- and I did punch out a chunk of wall in my bedroom; I put a poster over it (I got a little tongue lashing from stepdad):

THOSE STUPID BIRDS IN NINJA GAIDEN 1 AND 2!!!

They threatened to knock you into abysses by slamming into you.  If you didn't play around with the sprite scrolling to make them disappear before you advanced, they would pester you and be hard to deal with.  And if you surged on ahead, another one would likely join in.

ENWYEYE70_axZhEenhATsjGIxaWAuY4N8iE9qooQ

God, those aviary bastards got under my skin!  Eat a d***!

And though this is not an arcade topic section, I have to mention Geese Howard of the first Fatal Fury.  What a cheap, dirty, unfair boss!

..Deep breaths.. whew!

(ahem)

All better.. now, what moments in classic games got YOU all hot and bothered?  Did you cause property damage?  Just swear?  Were there consequences?  How old were you?  Etc.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, retrorussell said:

Hey all.

Either classic games or newer games, what particular moments make/made you curse like a sailor, slam that "Power" or "Reset" button, throw something or break something?  This can be way back to when you were a kid (where immaturity like that should be more likely) or more present-day when you just lose it (shame!  J/K; I do it sometimes).  

One that used to get me mad enough to swear in my late teens-- and I did punch out a chunk of wall in my bedroom; I put a poster over it (I got a little tongue lashing from stepdad):

THOSE STUPID BIRDS IN NINJA GAIDEN 1 AND 2!!!

They threatened to knock you into abysses by slamming into you.  If you didn't play around with the sprite scrolling to make them disappear before you advanced, they would pester you and be hard to deal with.  And if you surged on ahead, another one would likely join in.

ENWYEYE70_axZhEenhATsjGIxaWAuY4N8iE9qooQ

God, those aviary bastards got under my skin!  Eat a d***!

And though this is not an arcade topic section, I have to mention Geese Howard of the first Fatal Fury.  What a cheap, dirty, unfair boss!

..Deep breaths.. whew!

(ahem)

All better.. now, what moments in classic games got YOU all hot and bothered?  Did you cause property damage?  Just swear?  Were there consequences?  How old were you?  Etc.

I'll start this off by saying Magician Lord for the Neo-Geo Russ. That game made me throw my hands in the air in frustration when I was a boy in the arcades. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

I love RPGs. One of the reasons I love them is that I can think my way through challenges, rather than have to use twitch reflexes. Consequently, I deeply loath mandatory action sequences in RPGs. (Skippable mini-games and sequences are just fine; e.g. the Blitzball games in FF X.)

In Final Fantasy VII, there is a timed sequence where one has to dodge rolling boulders. (That caused me to purchase a Gameshark disk.)

In Breath of Fire IV, there is a chase sequence that requires very precise timing. I never got past that segment to continue the game.

While it is not quite an RPG, the ending of X-Files (on the PlayStation) gets a dishonourable mention for the same reason. That is impossible without a FAQ as very tight timing of a specific sequence is required. 

I have never physically damaged a controller (or console), but I did quit playing the game for a while. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Magician Lord is a pain.

TARG is an old arcade game from 1980.  Its sequel SPECTAR was such a breath of fresh air because the original was so damn hard!  Even just playing it last night in Mame, I was reduced to swearing up a storm.  Those stupid arrow enemies just KNOW when you're gonna shoot at them so they get out of the way and find another path to get you.  And when you whittle them down to a few enemies or less, they REALLY SPEED UP.  And they can turn on a dime when they want to and you cannot.  "TARG"-- should have been named "AARGH!".

• Like 1

Ninja Gaiden also enraged me, but not the birds. It's the fact that if you get to the end of stage 5, if you die the game throws you all the way back to the beginning of one of the hardest levels in the game. It's hard enough to get the boss, but then if you lose (which you certainly will if you've never seen him before), you get to go through hell just to get another shot. I read somewhere that the checkpointing on this level was bugged and the developers thought it would be funny to leave the bug in to add to the game's challenge. I beat Ninja Gaiden 2 without too much problem but this game can piss right off.

• Like 2

Through the 80s and early 90s there was this dark corner of the basement at my parents' house that served as the "video game zone."  The same basic CRT TV sat on a desk in that corner for years, living through the later years of the 2600, the 7800, NES, and Genesis.  I actually still have that TV hooked up to a 2600jr in my basement. 

The desk was made out of that crappy veneered particle board that is common in cheap furniture.  It was the typical desk design where you have drawers up and down the left and right sides, with a cutout in the middle for a chair.  The drawers were full of cartridges, cords, RF switch boxes, controllers, etc. 

I remember playing some game during the late 80s - I think it was Ninja Gaiden on NES - and getting extremely frustrated.  I hauled off and rammed my foot into one of the drawer fronts on the desk, punching a hole right through it.  Ooops.  I had a laugh a few years back when I was at my parents' going through a storage area in their basement, and I saw that old desk with a bunch of old photo albums and family ephemera stacked on top of it.  I looked down to the lower left and saw the busted-ass drawer that I kicked in and felt a tinge of nostalgic embarrassment.  My wife said something like "wow, this desk is in rough shape" pointing to the drawer.  I was like, "yep... wonder what happened there."      

Going back further to the mid-80s or so, I remember playing Super Challenge Baseball on the 2600 with a neighborhood friend.  To save my fu&%king life I couldn't beat him.  I'd get a lead, then he'd have a rally inning, hit 3 homeruns in a row or whatever, and I'd lose again.  And again.  And again.  Eventually I just had a meltdown and started screaming and crying like a complete moron.  Man, so embarrassing to think about... I like to believe that nobody else remembers me acting like this, but that's probably optimistic. 

• Like 2

i never was super aggressive when it came to the throwing things/etc, but i do remember the very first game that made me swear was Batman on the NES. 

My dad was not thrilled at all when i died in the game (wherever it was, but pretty far in) and i yelled 'GOD DAMMIT', though.

• Like 1

I've never been one to give in to anger/rage when playing games, but got pretty close with 2 recent playthroughs of modern games

1)  Luigi's Mansion 3 on Switch.   There's a "boat level with boss" in the later parts of the game where it all just falls apart.  Controls got stupid to where it felt like they were barely working.  Eventually, I just cheesed the boss fight so I could move on.   Great game, but that part almost made me quit in frustration and say to heck with it.

2)  Xenoblade Chronicles on Switch.   This game gets a lot of love, but my take on it is pretty negative overall.  But there was specific part where you were unable to damage an enemy until you activated a certain power.  The way to build up the gauge needed to activate that power?  Damage the enemy.  That's a simplistic take on it, but yeah, I would have just quit playing at that point if I hadn't made a promise to finish that game.

On 6/21/2020 at 6:46 PM, Duke75 said:

Ninja Gaiden also enraged me, but not the birds. It's the fact that if you get to the end of stage 5, if you die the game throws you all the way back to the beginning of one of the hardest levels in the game. It's hard enough to get the boss, but then if you lose (which you certainly will if you've never seen him before), you get to go through hell just to get another shot. I read somewhere that the checkpointing on this level was bugged and the developers thought it would be funny to leave the bug in to add to the game's challenge. I beat Ninja Gaiden 2 without too much problem but this game can piss right off.

It was Act 6 and you had to fight 3 bosses in a row and if you died on any of them you went all the way back to the beginning of 6-1. It was the most infuriating moment in my video game experience as a kid. I remember picturing a room full of Japanese developers watching me play the game and laughing hysterically when I died at Jaquio. At the time, I was convinced that it was impossible and the whole game was made solely just to troll kids because the developers must have hated them so much.

I have less memories of Ninja Gaiden 2, but didn't it do the same thing with its final bosses?

Not really a console, or even a game, for that matter, but in the late 90's I was installing something on the computer, and it kept coming up with "insert disk in drive a" or some such. After half an hour or so I was pretty raging. I put my hand through the front of the computer and ripped out the 3.5 floppy drive. It's a wonder I didn't get hurt, all the sharp metal bits, and I crushed holes in the disk drive.

Still have that mangled drive around here somewhere. Thinking back I guess it was pretty funny, probably an Adam Sandler movie scene or something.

• Like 1

Some rage-inducing enemies from the NES era:

1. The thieves (Plutons?) in Kid Icarus that would jump at random by/over you and steal a weapon if you made contact

2. Like Likes in LoZ who would eat your Magic Shield

3. Mike Tyson in MTPO.  I would get so worked up fighting him that if anyone else was in the room, I would angrily insist they be completely silent.  I never did beat him and if I ever meet the real Mike Tyson, I'm liable to smack him in the face.  I'm sure that will go over well.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 5:46 PM, Duke75 said:

It's actually stage 6 that sends you back. It's rough, but you can get back to the bosses with the spin slash and kill them with one hit. This was how I beat the game for the first time before learning how to beat all the bosses with the sword.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mbd30 said:

It's actually stage 6 that sends you back. It's rough, but you can get back to the bosses with the spin slash and kill them with one hit. This was how I beat the game for the first time before learning how to beat all the bosses with the sword.

I was THRILLED when I learned that trick!  Made the bosses a snap-- or at least, the ones where you could pick up the spin slash icon on their level (just don't lose it/replace it!!!).

I played through Double Dragon (Arcade) last night, and not only was it the worst game I've ever played, but it was also so difficult I wasn't even happy when I beat it, I was just angry. At least the music is good.

7 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I played through Double Dragon (Arcade) last night, and not only was it the worst game I've ever played, but it was also so difficult I wasn't even happy when I beat it, I was just angry. At least the music is good.

With the elbow smash, the game suddenly turns into a piece of cake.. up to the stone wall/spear toting statues.

• 2 weeks later...

I am/was too disciplined to swear or break things, but here are some gaming lowlights (in random order):

When my much younger sister beat me in Looney Tunes Racing( PS1) due to the rubber-band effect, and her character yells "girl power!" as she crossed the finish line.

When I had written the very long password in Swords & Serpents (NES), it is not correct, and I couldn´t find the mistake. It happened more than once.

When our cat stepped on Reset after I had played one and a half hours of The Legend of Zelda (SNES).

When I turned on my new game, Soccer (NES), and saw how crap it was.

When I played Toejam & Earl 2: Panic on Funkatron (Sega Mega Drive), and discovered it was nothing like its prequel.

Whenever I played sections of a game, which involved making a series of difficult jumps, and failed. Over and over again.

Whenever I made a mistake in a turn-based strategy game. Because I would have to carry the consequences of that mistake for the rest of the game, which was usually a very long time.

When I accidentally erased my save in Championship Manager 96/97 after having done very well.

When my brother killed me everytime we, or rather he, completed Double Dragon (Atari 2600).

When I thought I came 3rd when playing R.C. Pro-Am 2 (NES) in 4-player, only to see the last car gliding past me after the finish line due to the boost you get if you fall too far behind. It was equally sweet to be the one gliding into 3rd. :)

• Like 1

I think I swore with equal venom at both the conveyor belt platforms on Guts Man's stage and at the sentient platforms that shoot at you on Iceman's stage and one of the Dr. Wily stages, on Mega Man 1.  The timing of the former got to be such an issue because they'd drop you into the abyss RIGHT as soon as they reached a gap in the line.  And the moving platforms on Iceman's stage really sucked if you didn't have the platform-making gun.. but they were worse on the Wily stage since they'd fly under and over a row of spikes, trying to shoot you off onto them, or carry you up into them.  

png

mm-iceman-floatingplatforms.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-tipxcI7HOA7Tf6T9ERS

And I probably swore at the disappearing blocks..

hqdefault.jpg

Lunar The Silver Star Story (PSX)... the final boss. Enemies in this game level up with you, so if you grind too much, the final boss is nearly impossible to beat unless you get some certain ring that is available only at an exact moment that allows you to cast magic at 1/2 cost.

Never did beat the final boss in Xenogears. After many tries at the final boss, I gave up. I was so burned out from that game with the last disc being crap, and I had enough of tedious grinding that I had no interest in going back to a previous save to level up.

These days savestates stop that from happening. But back in the day it was pretty much anything I couldn't complete and got stuck grinding. Favorite thing to break was anything that shattered or made lots of noise as it rapidly disassembled itself. Think old VCR or CD player.

RPGs, though one of my favor8 types of games to play, also thoroughly piss me off more frequently than any other genre.

Best examples I have are from doing QC work on our Super Fighter Team RPGs for Sega Genesis. Having to play thru the games a jillion and a half times not only to sniff out software bugs, but also to ensure the scripts were flowing great and free of errors, became maddening when the combat sections just kept coming, and coming, and COMING.

It would get to the point where I was, like, "JUST LEAVE ME ALONE, FOR GOD'S SAKE!" when certain tougher enemies appeared, and just rolling my eyes at turbo speed whenever a random encounter popped up in general.

The worst was Beggar Prince. During one of the longest, most monotonous sections of the game -- a forest with tons of dead ends that's basically a fetch quest -- there was an enemy whose magic would crash the game. Until we were able to fix that bug, it was a nightmare trying to get thru there, and to the save point, before that li'l bastard popped up and did his thang. Oof.

Still. In spite of how g-damn frustrating some of those games were to play thru over and over, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.