IGNORED

Software needed for the Second Book of Machine Language?

ClearSky

26 minutes ago, ClearSky said:

From where can I download LADS assembler and MLX program, which are needed to work with the book "The Second Book of Machine Language" by Richard Mansfield?

Boy this post brings back memories! My printed copy of the book is long gone but I still have the disk. :) 

0A965957-4C36-4CD1-BF78-D9297418DD45.jpeg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I haven't been by your site lately - that page is gorgeously done! 

Compute was/is a great resource.

Actually, I'm missing the disk for "Compute's Second Book of Atari". If anybody has that, it would be nice to fill in the last spot on the page.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Actually, I'm missing the disk for "Compute's Second Book of Atari". If anybody has that, it would be nice to fill in the last spot on the page.

Were these official disks from Compute! published back in the day, or are these compilations of the book programs source codes, typed in and organized by Atari enthusiasts?

Regards,

Luis.

20 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I had the book, BITD, but if there was an official disk you could write away for with all the programs, I never had it (unlike my LADS Disk above).

8 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I had the book, BITD, but if there was an official disk you could write away for with all the programs, I never had it (unlike my LADS Disk above).

Alright, thanks anyway.

BTW, I'm not sure if the LADS ATR I have is a copy of the official disk from Compute or whether it was just put together by someone. Would you mind getting a disk directory from your disk, sometime, so we can make a comparison?

Here's what the directory on mine looks like:

1720645597_LADSATR.png.1dee4f787c1201b92676a73b1042a350.png

Edited by MrFish

21 minutes ago, MrFish said:

BTW, I'm not sure if the LADS ATR I have is a copy of the official disk from Compute or whether it was just put together by someone. Would you mind getting a disk directory from your disk, sometime, so we can make a comparison?

Here's what the directory on mine looks like:

That's quite different from my disk. This directory, viewed from Altirra's Disk Explorer, is from an ATR I made about 6 years ago when I found a cache of my old 80's/high school era floppies. I don't *think* I ever modified this disk - my cache included a copy I had made BITD that I denoted as a backup/working copy.

image.thumb.png.1a6f17945f113f9736678b86ee6d7d04.png

Anyway, I've also attached a copy of that ATR if you or anyone else wants it.

EDIT: So this disk doesn't actually boot. The text of the book says it does so I don't know if it's just a bad ATR (maybe I had some bad sectors when I made the copy?) or what. But if you mount it as D2:, and boot DOS 2.5 in D1:, you can then do a binary load of LADS.OBJ from D2: and then RUN AT ADDRESS 8000 as mentioned in the manual and LADS will run. 

image.thumb.png.0d4b35a86f8d398821bcbcf88dafe99e.png

LADSAssembler[original].ATR

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

That's quite different from my disk. This directory, viewed from Altirra's Disk Explorer, is from an ATR I made about 6 years ago when I found a cache of my old 80's/high school era floppies. I don't *think* I ever modified this disk - my cache included a copy I had made BITD that I denoted as a backup/working copy.

image.thumb.png.1a6f17945f113f9736678b86ee6d7d04.png

Anyway, I've also attached a copy of that ATR if you or anyone else wants it.

LADSAssembler[original].ATR 90.02 kB · 1 download

Thanks, yeah, that's way different. Mine is just a disk with DOS that autoboots LADS. Handy, but the official disk you posted has all the sources, better. I'm pretty sure this is what I was looking for when I was putting together the page on my site initially; but all I was able to come up with was the LADS assembler. All the other disks I have on the my Compute page contain sources -- although I can't guarantee those are imaged from the original disks either. I'm pretty sure I got most (if not all) of the ATR's from Kevin's "Classic Atari Books" site; so, I'm sure he could answer the question concerning their origins.

In the meantime, if you have any other disks that go with Compute books (on my site) that you could offer for comparison as well, I'd appreciate that too.

Edited by MrFish

35 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

EDIT: So this disk doesn't actually boot. The text of the book says it does so I don't know if it's just a bad ATR (maybe I had some bad sectors when I made the copy?) or what. But if you mount it as D2:, and boot DOS 2.5 in D1:, you can then do a binary load of LADS.OBJ from D2: and then RUN AT ADDRESS 8000 as mentioned in the manual and LADS will run. 

image.thumb.png.0d4b35a86f8d398821bcbcf88dafe99e.png

Actually, the "Compute" file on your ATR reads as follows:

LADS FOR THE ATARI
COPYRIGHT COMPUTE! PUBLICATIONS 1984
TO RUN LADS GO TO DOS
SELECT ITEM L. ENTER FILENAME LADS.OBJ
SELECT ITEM M. RUN AT ADDRESS 8000
FOR COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS SEE
THE SECOND BOOK OF MACHINE LANGUAGE

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrFish said:

In the meantime, if you have any other disks that go with Compute books (on my site) that you could offer for comparison as well, I'd appreciate that too.

I wish I did! I'm sorry to say that I don't. 

With regard to the LADS disk ATR I posted, feel free to use it on your site. The RUN.ME file and the others without extensions appear to be BASIC files but it's been decades - literally - since I got this disk and used it at all. 

Just now, MrFish said:

Actually, the "Compute" file on your ATR reads as follows:

LADS FOR THE ATARI
COPYRIGHT COMPUTE! PUBLICATIONS 1984
TO RUN LADS GO TO DOS
SELECT ITEM L. ENTER FILENAME LADS.OBJ
SELECT ITEM M. RUN AT ADDRESS 8000
FOR COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS SEE
THE SECOND BOOK OF MACHINE LANGUAGE

Yeah I saw that after I posted. However, from the book PDF (on your site), I see the following:

image.thumb.png.9a2a885aa3856da12724b220c13768b9.png

That seems to indicate the purchased disk should auto-boot. Mine clearly doesn't but honestly I have no idea if it ever did and I mangled/messed it up as a kid BITD or what. My "working/backup copy" that I made back then does autoboot straight to DOS but I can RUN AT ADDRESS and get to the LADS prompt.  

25 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

That seems to indicate the purchased disk should auto-boot. Mine clearly doesn't but honestly I have no idea if it ever did and I mangled/messed it up as a kid BITD or what. My "working/backup copy" that I made back then does autoboot straight to DOS but I can RUN AT ADDRESS and get to the LADS prompt.  

OK, well, the good part is that we have all the necessary files on the disk you posted. I'll probably just add DOS/DUP to the disk and rename LADS to AUTORUN.SYS before posting to my site; that way it'll act as expected for people trying to follow along with the text. Eventually, we might get someone to post an original copy that autoboots and we can see if there's anything different about it than your disk plus the changes I'm going to make (probably not, other than maybe a different DOS version).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MrFish said:

OK, well, the good part is that we have all the necessary files on the disk you posted. I'll probably just add DOS/DUP to the disk and rename LADS to AUTORUN.SYS before posting to my site; that way it'll act as expected for people trying to follow along with the text. Eventually, we might get someone to post an original copy that autoboots and we can see if there's anything different about it than your disk plus the changes I'm going to make (probably not, other than maybe a different DOS version).

I’ve put my disk away for now, but my photo of my original disk above looks like it is effective write-protected (no notch). I’ll confirm that tomorrow after work. If so, the book text is simply wrong, which is not inconceivable after all. Also, if you boot DOS 2.5 and then examine the directory of the ATR, all the files have an asterisk preface which indicates the files are locked against deletion, so I doubt I modified any of them and THEN locked them before making my backup copy.

Alright, sounds good. I was a little confused as to which disk this ATR was imaged from -- your original or your working/backup copy. So, maybe we can get things cleared up. And, yes, I wouldn't be too surprised if the book text is wrong about the disk autobooting LADS.

Edited by MrFish

Okay, so here is the ATR I made of my LADS backup/working disk from waaaay back in the 80’s. I have no specific recollection of what I did to make or create it, except that I’m reasonably sure this is the disk I used to work through the examples and stuff in the book.

LADSAssembler.ATR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1