IGNORED

The Worlds Smallest Atari 8-Bit?

mytek

5 minutes ago, Crc_Error said:

Why really fascinating!  So this is basically a modern redesign of the A8 computer, which works as a complete clone of the A8?  Great idea if it is!

It's not a clone at all. It uses the same SALLY CPU, plus ANTIC, GTIA, POKEY and 6520 PIA chips as any Atari 8-bit, with a custom-programmed MMU, and a variant of the XEGS operating system ROM written to an EPROM or EEPROM. It just has a modern motherboard design, uses a few SMD components to keep things small and tidy and will fit into a new case design @Mr Robot is working on. You can read all the public details on the previous pages of this thread.

This is @mytek's third bespoke Atari-based motherboard design, the first being the 1088XEL, then the 1088XLD. There are threads here on AtariAge about those projects, or you can go to Michael's website for snapshots of each project. 

https://ataribits.weebly.com/

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Brentarian said:

what type of light do you have? Your photos look much better than mine.

It's just a "warm white" LED strip I have over my workbench. Last summer when the most recent tube burned out after 7 - 8 years, I replaced the now-ancient 12" fluorescent tube light I had there for the past 19 years. It's nice and bright and really great for working at the bench. but it can cause reflections and shadows when I take pics.

• Like 1

Hello guys

I've used flatbed scanners years ago to "take pictures" of three dimensional stuff like Atari motherboards years ago.  Worked great!  Unfortunately, the scanner I own myself will only do two dimensional stuff.

Lighting was perfect, pictures came out great.  And there's never a shadow of for instance the camera or the person holding it.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy
Added the "shadow" sentence.
  • Like 3

@DrVenkman showed a comparison of all 3 of my alternative motherboard projects laid on top of one another HERE .

But I thought it would be good to also show a comparison to the previous 'World's Smallest Atari 8-Bit Computers' both factory and alternative 3rd Party Mini-ITX designs.

NUC_footprint.thumb.jpg.ff2e92b03cbeb8f21a49c1c5d3df08bd.jpg

I was always impressed with how small Atari had gotten their 600XL to be, and it was indeed very impressive for the time period it was released (1984). However who would have thought 33 years later that there would be three Mini-ITX alternatives arriving on the scene, two based on the original Atari VSLI chip set, and one utilizing an FPGA design. 2017 was that year, with all 3 projects being independently worked on, and originating from 3 different countries.

2020 will be the year we see the new 576NUC+ arrive, being an even smaller alternative.

Although the 576NUC+ doesn't have the cartridge port or the PBI that a 600XL has, it's going to make up for that in the FujiNet daughter board coming down the road, being the first system to incorporate provisions for this most wonderful invention internal to its design.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Keep checking my Flickr Album https://www.flickr.com/photos/75619516@N06/albums/72157716646942567

I'll keep the photos there so I don't use AA bandwidth.

Sorry to brag - I do have to show how nice this looks :)

RN10.thumb.jpg.feb3af36ca0c8465b9059f89ef0a2c23.jpg

Here's a video showing the process.  Camera angle makes it look like I am swiping multiple pins, but I only am ever on one pin at a time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blues76 said:

I would love to get one whenever is ready but some months after the XEL.

I haven't ready every single post here but I know @mytek said he will not be selling it but any updates who and when?

When the beta team has finished building boards, and they have been tested to within an inch of their lives, they will be made available for sale as completed machines from @MacRorie at The Brewing Academy in the U.S., and (I think) @tf_hh in Europe. 

EDITED: Fixed an incorrect user tag created by a combo of the dumb forum software, auto-correct, and the fact that I'm having a Sunday night pint. :)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

When the beta team has finished building boards, and they have been tested to within an inch of their lives, they will be made available for sale as completed machines from @MacRorie at The Brewing Academy in the U.S., and (I think) @tf_hh in Europe. 

EDITED: Fixed an incorrect user tag created by a combo of the dumb forum software, auto-correct, and the fact that I'm having a Sunday night pint. :)

Yes, I have been working with @MacRorie about getting the XEL. He has been amazing. With all the email and questions, I wonder why hasn't he stop replying already. Thanks @MacRorie for all your help!

I'm only worry about my wife. I may have to keep it at the office.

Edited by Blues76
Previous user has a wrong username in one of the tags.
  • Like 1