IGNORED

The Worlds Smallest Atari 8-Bit?

mytek

22 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

When the beta team has finished building boards, and they have been tested to within an inch of their lives, they will be made available for sale as completed machines from @MacRorie at The Brewing Academy in the U.S., and (I think) @tf_hh in Europe. 

@tf_hh will only be selling to ABBUC members (lucky people) ;-) .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

When the beta team has finished building boards, and they have been tested to within an inch of their lives, they will be made available for sale as completed machines from @MacRorie at The Brewing Academy in the U.S., and (I think) @tf_hh in Europe. 

EDITED: Fixed an incorrect user tag created by a combo of the dumb forum software, auto-correct, and the fact that I'm having a Sunday night pint. :)

Much rather acquire the board and build it myself as a personal preference.  Absolutely no insult to MacRorie as he does many a great service in providing completed well functioning machines.  As with cars, I like to build whats under the hood not just drive them.

• Like 1

The NUC+ is going to have an optional Fujinet daughterboard. It will fit inside the case with all required buttons and sockets exposed. This is going to make the NUC+ a nicely self contained machine. 

Here is the first beta of the daughterboard, there are a few wrinkles to iron out but the final board will be almost identical to this, minus the dodgy hand soldering of course.

IMG_3929.jpeg

IMG_3930.jpeg

IMG_3931.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

The NUC+ is going to have an optional Fujinet daughterboard. It will fit inside the case with all required buttons and sockets exposed. This is going to make the NUC+ a nicely self contained machine. 

Here is the first beta of the daughterboard, there are a few wrinkles to iron out but the final board will be almost identical to this, minus the dodgy hand soldering of course.

IMG_3929.jpeg

IMG_3930.jpeg

IMG_3931.jpeg

It is master piece! 

The port next to the s-video, what is it ? 

Do you know when they will available ready built?

Thanks,

The back has a monitor port (with svideo and audio) next to that is the PS2 keyboard socket, next to that is a 15way Dsub which is the SIO connector. @mytekwent with the dsub for space reasons. there is an adapter board for those that need it and the pinout follows a common standard for SIO<->Dsub so peripherals are already available for it if you ever feel the need to plug something in. 

Personally I've been testing with a Fujinet and had no desire to plug anything else in. When the fujinet is internal that will be an unused port on my machine.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

the one 9+8 pin ?

That’s a DB15 port for SIO expansion. There’s a little companion board with a standard SIO port and a mating 15-pin connector, or you can wire up a custom SIO cable to a 15-pin connector if you want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

576NUC+ Rear I/O Jacks Defined

The Audio/Video output jack on the NUC mimics the standard one as used in a stock Atari 8-bit computer, with all aspects active and usable. The video quality is nearly as good as the UAV, and for the most part will be indistinguishable from it.

NUC_audio-video_jack.png.7c333460e8e776aa18349a728fda69d6.png

A PS/2 keyboard is required for user access and functional control of all the special features that the NUC has under its hood. And if you've noticed the missing power switch, that's because power is also controlled by the keyboard.

NUC_PS2_keyboard_jack.png.e281e7a639b452f45cee76bcd78edcb0.png

As has been mentioned, the SIO jack has been replaced by a Dsub-15 jack in order to reduce the area of the footprint. The pin-out is based on a previous standard established many years ago for this style of SIO connector. And as part of this project an adapter board was created to allow the use of peripherals having the standard Atari SIO plug. However it is hoped that with the inclusion of FujiNet, this will rarely if ever be needed.

NUC_SIO.thumb.png.960607b492d925a001c28707733ac497.png

SIO2PC Cable incorporating Dsub-15 for easy connection to NUC. Hand shake is CTS.

NUC_SIO2PC_cable.thumb.png.771b1614001f12063fa3d555058351de.png

Standard SIO Jack Adapter

SIO2Dsub.JPG.9975c36686398b6eae0889d52d7b08f1.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mdivancic said:

So will this be available as a kit or fully assembled (or both)?

For now only fully assembled boards will be made available. And to be clear, this will only apply to the 576NUC+. Mr Robot's FujiNet daughter board, as well as the 3D case designs and files will be released for the DIY crowd, but likely also be for sale.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mytek said:

For now only fully assembled boards will be made available. And to be clear, this will only apply to the 576NUC+. Mr Robot's FujiNet daughter board, as well as the 3D case designs and files will be released for the DIY crowd, but likely also be for sale.

I'm looking forward to purchase the fully assembled 576NUC+.

For sure, I hope that someone can put it together with case + Fujinet, but whichever way it is, I will get it. This is so nice.

I feel all this new hardware for 8-bit is so cool. I'm already getting the 1088XEL (thank you for doing the design @mytek) and the next one will be 576NUC+. One day, maybe I can get the 1088XLD. The one that I would like but I really need more time (which I don't have for now) is the Mister too... This is so cool.

Is the Commodore 8-bit community as involved as this one? (I don't know anything about the commodore to be honest, except some of the C64 mini that is out but I think that's emulated, right ?). 

Thank you

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

Is the Commodore 8-bit community as involved as this one? (I don't know anything about the commodore to be honest, except some of the C64 mini that is out but I think that's emulated, right ?).

Checkout Gideon's stuff at https://ultimate64.com/

The Ultimate 64 is mostly FPGA, except for the stereo SID, for which there are two sockets for the original ICs.

His Ultimate II+ cartridge is also very good. It has everything you need. Cartridge emulation, REU (16MB RAM), Networking, IEC (serial) emulation, and probably more.

Disclaimer: I don't own either one, but have seen them both IRL in Maarssen, Utrecht, at the Commodore (and MSX/Atari/Spectrum) meetings. And Gideon attends those meetings, too :) But I don't know him personally.

Edited by ivop
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2020 at 10:24 AM, mytek said:

Standard SIO Jack Adapter

SIO2Dsub.JPG.9975c36686398b6eae0889d52d7b08f1.JPG

Just a heads up for anyone making these.  The new SIO jacks available from Atarimax (mould) are not wide enough to be screwed in place without some minor modification.  Please ignore the nasty looking flux - I didn't scrub the board before I took these.

1000239036_Day04_01.thumb.jpg.30102d44c8d2b5b7bd26f79cbeb74533.jpg

27858218_Day04_02.thumb.jpg.7c2063d020fc375e338e5855d78627ab.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

I will be interested, when the PCB will be offered.

Please see prior posts. This unit will be offered as finished machines only for the foreseeable future. @mytek will make the determination whether to release the board design files at some future date.

32 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

"@mytek will make the determination whether to release the board design files at some future date."

This is entirely Michael's design and I respect his decision either way.  Many of us are just not users but enjoy the challenge of building and using our toys;)  Just as you do Dr.V.  I hope we stay an inclusive bunch and not alienate the DIY folks.  As for the files they are not needed just access to getting a board when they are made available.

9 minutes ago, towmater said:

How are they harvesting Antics, GTIA's, etc.?

Well, I can't speak to anyone else's supply, but I am salvaging chips from a spare 800XL I have that's been sitting in a drawer for the past 3-1/2 years. Better that the chips live on in something fun and new than moldering away in storage. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

The new SIO jacks available from Atarimax (mould) are not wide enough to be screwed in place without some minor modification.

This is an easy fix for these adapters, as all the traces are in the middle of the PCB a couple of new holes as shown in the attached image should work. This wouldn't necessarily help for using these new jacks in other devices as there may not be available PCB area without traces.

SIO2DA15.jpg

Edited by BillC
  • Thanks 1