IGNORED

The Worlds Smallest Atari 8-Bit?

mytek

17 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Two joystick ports, standard Atari 5-pin DIN for audio/video, PS/2 keyboard connector, DB15 SIO port with optional DB15-Atari SIO adapter, power input (12VDC, IIRC, but it's been a minute since I built my Beta unit and can't remember for sure). If you go with the integrated FujiNet, there's also a slot for the FujiNet's integrated SD card.

Alright, thanks. I guess I was looking at all the ports related to FujiNet, which I don't know much about. I see that all the upper ports on the back are specific to FujiNet.

11 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Alright, thanks. I guess I was looking at all the ports related to FujiNet, which I don't know much about. I see that all the upper ports on the back are specific to FujiNet.

Just a reset button on the back, plus a firmware programming interface, I think.

27 minutes ago, MrFish said:

For the fujinet, on the back there's the on/off switch, reset button, firmware update connector. On the front, SD card, three LED's and Buttons A & B 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

For the fujinet, on the back there's the on/off switch, reset button, firmware update connector. On the front, SD card, three LED's and Buttons A & B 

Thanks, I didn't realise those were all for FujiNet when I first looked at it; but I can see there's a label with a line separating them from the other connectors in the back.

I see one FujiNet connector labeled "USB"; what is the function of that?

The picture you are looking at is out of date. The cart port board was not ready by the time the NUC went live so a different fujinet is being used. The pic you have there a ON/Off, Reset, SIO audio volume knob, USB for firmware updates. The Volume knob was only on the cart board so it was removed from the final case back. 

This is the back panel that @MacRorie is printing.

777482015_ScreenShot2021-06-18at16_40_45.thumb.png.061f263d0d1953ffff93b74dcb3f0f32.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i know this is different than the 1088XEL/XLD, which included, or was based on most of the best 8-bit upgrades available. This one seems to be more of a modern 8-bit device without all the upgrades, though it certainly has some. Since this one isn't based around the U1MB, which OS & Basic are included with this one? Which 8-bit is based on?

It's XEGS based, the boot ROM choices by default are....

SELECT

SLOT

POWER

LANG/GAME

OS

ALT+~

ON

NONE

HSIO+FAST MATH

CTRL+ALT+~

ON

NONE

STOCK XE

ALT+1

ON

BASIC ALTIRRA

HSIO+FAST MATH

ALT+2

ON

BASIC Rev C

STOCK XE

ALT+3

ON

PAC-MAN

NA

ALT+4

ON

STAR RAIDERS

NA

ALT+0

NA

OFF

NA

NA

Each new selection re-initializes the system, essentially performing the equivalent to a warm boot.

• Like 1

The cart port is part of the Fujinet daughter board, if an upgrade becomes available it will mean swapping the fujinet, back panel and case lid.

I have a beta version of the upgrade board but I'm waiting for parts for my NUC so I can continue testing. I have an early NUC and a current NUC, the upgrade board only fits the current NUC and mine isn't working properly so it's on hold. 

I'm not sure it's worth producing tbh, it depends on the demand for it. 

• Thanks 1

The cart port is part of the Fujinet daughter board, if an upgrade becomes available it will mean swapping the fujinet, back panel and case lid.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. The cartridge board is combined with the FujiNet board, or it replaces the FujiNet board?

I have a beta version of the upgrade board but I'm waiting for parts for my NUC so I can continue testing. I have an early NUC and a current NUC, the upgrade board only fits the current NUC and mine isn't working properly so it's on hold. 

Any pictures?

I'm not sure it's worth producing tbh, it depends on the demand for it. 

Depending on your answer to my question at the top of this reply, I'm interested.

8 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. The cartridge board is combined with the FujiNet board, or it replaces the FujiNet board?

Pictures of what it looks like in case with cartridge inserted are a few posts down from there.

Just now, Mr Robot said:

It replaces the fujinet daughterboard 

I'd definitely be interested then.

Last question (maybe): does it look like there'd be room for a Sophia 2 to be installed in either the cartridge version or the regular version (without a FujiNet board)?

51 minutes ago, gnusto said:

Ah, I was making an assumption that I didn't make clear, sorry: I'm figuring the cartridge only board will physically be the same layout as the fuji board, but without fuji capabilities (because that makes case design etc the same).

There is (was) no cart only board that I am aware of.  When it was decided FujiNet would be an internal board, questions were asked, some feature creep happened, and the idea of a combination FujiNet + cart adapter board was considered.  Currently on hold due to some technical difficulties.

10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

There is (was) no cart only board that I am aware of.  When it was decided FujiNet would be an internal board, questions were asked, some feature creep happened, and the idea of a combination FujiNet + cart adapter board was considered.  Currently on hold due to some technical difficulties.

Having said that, the FujiNet NUC+ baseline will be my main A8 retrogaming system going forward, connected to my modern displays via my RetroTink 2X-Pro. It's so ridiculously compact and self-contained, it's very hard to beat in that role. :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mdivancic said:

@Mr Robot any thoughts of designing a case that has a space for a Sophia 2 DVI port?

I'm pretty sure there is no height restriction above the GTIA chip for a Sophia 2 even with the Fujinet board installed.

NUC-FujiNet_V1.5_proto.thumb.jpg.9a025acb187a68abf8fba9ce18fd376d.jpg

Back in the very early NUC design phase, I mocked-up an image with a Sophia 2 installed and it looked like there wouldn't be any issues. If I recall correctly there should be enough room in the existing case to allow the ribbon cable to bend over. Of course there is still the issue of where to put the DVI connector interface board, although that might possibly fit above the power jack, but the rear panel of the case will still need a hole to accommodate that (or 3 if you allow for the mounting screws).

576NUCplus_and_Sophia2.thumb.png.c16f6502ffc0ce9d4cd8c85bfd57ee46.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mdivancic said:

What about selling the STL’s for those of us who want to print their own?

When my store opened I did that with a don't share/don't monitize licence (my standard DBAD licence).

Within two weeks the prints were being sold and/or spread in Chile and Poland.

Now I don't release them any more.

The ones that are out there, I can't do anything about but all the new ones are private. 

The default NUC+ case design will be released by mytek along with all the other stuff required to make them in a few months.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mdivancic said:

It’s sad to see that piracy is still a problem in this day and age with dead equipment like this. 

I thought it was worth a try.

It has made me reconsider my position on the piracy debate that regularly flares up here when sellers don't release a digital version of their games. I'm not a collector so I'm not interested in having a physical copy but given the way people behave I can see why they don't want to sell digital copies.

• Like 2

I thought it was worth a try.

It has made me reconsider my position on the piracy debate that regularly flares up here when sellers don't release a digital version of their games. I'm not a collector so I'm not interested in having a physical copy but given the way people behave I can see why they don't want to sell digital copies.

I’ll probably print the base case when it becomes available. Just for the fun of it.