IGNORED

The Worlds Smallest Atari 8-Bit?

mytek

1 hour ago, mdivancic said:

I’ll probably print the base case when it becomes available. Just for the fun of it. 

As @Mr Robot pointed out, he has graciously agreed to let me host the standard XE case STLs on my website when I begin the DIY public release of the 576NUC+ this coming Fall. This is the same case design that TBA is presently selling as an option for the production version of the NUC. So sometime around September-October 2021 a download of that, and the PCB gerbers, schematics, and the BOMs will be available at: https://ataribits.weebly.com/576nuc.html

• Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 6:44 PM, MrFish said:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. The cartridge board is combined with the FujiNet board, or it replaces the FujiNet board?

Any pictures?

Depending on your answer to my question at the top of this reply, I'm interested.

This is my test system now the v1.2 board is fixed and working (bad crystal).

IMG_4506.jpeg

IMG_4508.jpeg

IMG_4510.jpeg

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

This is my test system now the v1.2 board is fixed and working (bad crystal).

Nice; I like the black cases.

Although, it looks like the cartridge case has a bit of stair stepping, due to the curvature towards the top.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Although, it looks like the cartridge case has a bit of stair stepping, due to the curvature towards the top.

Yeah it was printed upside down and FDM printers have real problems printing outside curves

fdm.jpg.0e1b45e975163b437580d0b4a8895c21.jpg

You try for the first one, but end up with the second unless you throw a lot of support material at it and that gives you a rougher surface unless you have a dual extruder setup and soluble support filament.

If I print up the right way I'd get good curves but use a load of filament on supports. This is a dev system so there is still dev ongoing, including how to make it print pretty without masses of waste (lots of inside curves and as many flat surfaces as possible).

I may just switch to 45° straight chamfers to make cleaner lines.

Edited by Mr Robot
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Yeah it was printed upside down and FDM printers have real problems printing outside curves

fdm.jpg.0e1b45e975163b437580d0b4a8895c21.jpg

You try for the first one, but end up with the second unless you throw a lot of support material at it and that gives you a rougher surface unless you have a dual extruder setup and soluble support filament.

If I print up the right way I'd get good curves but use a load of filament on supports. This is a dev system so there is still dev ongoing, including how to make it print pretty without masses of waste (lots of inside curves and as many flat surfaces as possible).

You could always do a beveled edge, like on the case sitting next to it.

Edited by MrFish

Cart loading works.

There are some issues, I'm still working on, not least of which is that it's really quite hard to get the carts back out, there is a lot of wiggling required and not a lot of wiggle room so it looks like I will have to rethink the case design. 

IMG_4517.jpeg

IMG_4526.jpeg

IMG_4518.jpeg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

There are some issues, I'm still working on, not least of which is that it's really quite hard to get the carts back out, there is a lot of wiggling required and not a lot of wiggle room so it looks like I will have to rethink the case design. 

On 3/11/2021 at 1:36 PM, MrFish said:

It looks like a nice stable way to hold the cart. But, I'm wondering, it looks like it might not be so easy to remove the cart.

Maybe there needs to be a little space -- for your fingers -- on either side of the cart's top end.

Not to just say "I told you so", but I mentioned this back when you first presented your design.

• Haha 1

No one likes a smart arse! :P

I thought it would be ok with the amount of space under the cart to get a thumb underneath so it could be gripped above and below. Test prints didn't change that view. It's not until the cart is actually pushed into the edge connector that it stiffens up and feels uncomfortable when you try to grip it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

No one likes a smart arse! :P

Yeah, well, I'm not trying win any popularity contests. :P

Seriously, trying to help though. I like the machine concept, and I prefer the idea of retaining a cart port. 

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

I thought it would be ok with the amount of space under the cart to get a thumb underneath so it could be gripped above and below. Test prints didn't change that view. It's not until the cart is actually pushed into the edge connector that it stiffens up and feels uncomfortable when you try to grip it. 

Possibly (grip in the space underneath), but then that space was added to accommodate the particular XE carts with the ridge, and then you'd have no such available space for grabbing onto when one of those carts was inserted (at best).

IDK if was mentioned before, but I'd be happy with some sort of detachable breakout cable design; but then that would be taking things in a whole other direction.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself in my first post here on Atari Age. I have been a long time lurker and long time Atari 8bit fan. Firstly, I want to say congrats and thanks to the creator, beta testers and suppliers who took part to make make this project happen and available to those at large. It is truly a nice piece of engineering and it shows that a lot of hard work went into producing it!

I am interested in acquiring one. What is the position if one wants to add a third party addition like Sophia 2 or Pokeymax 3?  Has it been tested with any of the third party mods/addons? Also, would there be variations of the case that would allow the cutouts for the DVI port? 

Thank you!

3 hours ago, scorpio_ny said:

I wanted to introduce myself in my first post here on Atari Age. I have been a long time lurker and long time Atari 8bit fan. Firstly, I want to say congrats and thanks to the creator, beta testers and suppliers who took part to make make this project happen and available to those at large. It is truly a nice piece of engineering and it shows that a lot of hard work went into producing it!

Well if my project was responsible for your first post I am honored :)

3 hours ago, scorpio_ny said:

I am interested in acquiring one. What is the position if one wants to add a third party addition like Sophia 2 or Pokeymax 3?  Has it been tested with any of the third party mods/addons? Also, would there be variations of the case that would allow the cutouts for the DVI port?

Pokeymax is a no-go. It would require a version of such with a footprint not much larger than the original Pokey, and it would need to have 100% compatibility with the key scan in the original Pokey as well. Perhaps someday this will happen.

The Sophia 2 should work, although I don't recall if anyone on our beta team tested with this configuration ( @tf_hh ?). As for the case having a DVI port cut-out, I don't believe so at the moment, but I do believe there is enough room on the rear panel for it to fit. Really it's a matter of someone modifying the STL and testing it out, although I don't think the creative genius behind the 576NUC+ cases has a Sophia 2, so maybe if someone really wants to see this happen a donation might be in order ;)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mytek said:

Pokeymax is a no-go. It would require a version of such with a footprint not much larger than the original Pokey, and it would need to have 100% compatibility with the key scan in the original Pokey as well. Perhaps someday this will happen.

I've mentioned this on the new IRC channel and someone swears this has been fixed.  I was not aware of such a fix.

I have not tested to see if the Sophia2 will fit.  Speaking of, I really need to get an order put together so I can get a case for this thing along with a bunch of parts for other systems.

1 hour ago, mytek said:

Well if my project was responsible for your first post I am honored :)

It is a nice project! It seems to be designed to reach a wide audience. It also provides a possible migration path for those whose computers hardware failed due to old age.

Ok, That is good to know! Thanks!

The Sophia 2 should work, although I don't recall if anyone on our beta team tested with this configuration ( @tf_hh ?). As for the case having a DVI port cut-out, I don't believe so at the moment, but I do believe there is enough room on the rear panel for it to fit. Really it's a matter of someone modifying the STL and testing it out, although I don't think the creative genius behind the 576NUC+ cases has a Sophia 2, so maybe if someone really wants to see this happen a donation might be in order ;)

I will keep following up to see if any testing is done on this. Thanks again!

6 hours ago, Stephen said:
6 hours ago, mytek said:

I've mentioned this on the new IRC channel and someone swears this has been fixed.  I was not aware of such a fix.

Last I heard from foft is that everything with the exception of key repeat was working properly, but that still means it isn't 100%. As far as the hardware footprint is concerned, the present iteration of PokeyMax is still too wide. Most likely the extra width doesn't impact on a stock Atari, but the NUC as you know is much tighter, mainly it's an issue where the standoff for the FujiNet resides.

• Thanks 1

The SOPHIA 2 works of course, the problem is that the orientation of the DVI cable puts it right up to the edge of where the case wall would be. I do not yet have a case to test fit that, but it would likely need a custom made cable so that it comes out the other side and then having a case designed to allow for the DVI connector. 

I am willing to send a SOPHIA 2 to Mr Robot if he believes it makes sense to design a case for this configuration. That said the video out on these are pretty darn good and I don't think the SOPHIA is needed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

The SOPHIA 2 works of course, the problem is that the orientation of the DVI cable puts it right up to the edge of where the case wall would be.

There is about 15mm between the edge of the board and the side of the case which should be enough to curve the cable back so it can be routed to the back. I even moved the screw pillars so they wouldn't be in the way. 

15 hours ago, mytek said:

I don't think the creative genius behind the 576NUC+ cases has a Sophia 2, so maybe if someone really wants to see this happen a donation might be in order

Just an indication on the existing back panel where you think the dvi connector should go is all I need. The back panel isn't designed to be load bearing, it's just to keep the insides in. It's only 1.5mm thick so alternative mounting for the DVI connector to the board would be a good idea.

Personally I'd remove the SIO connector (the dsub 15) and mount the dvi connector to the PCB there as long as the ribbon didn't clash with the internal port for the fujinet.

4 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Personally I'd remove the SIO connector (the dsub 15) and mount the dvi connector to the PCB there as long as the ribbon didn't clash with the internal port for the fujinet.

Sounds like a DIY project at that point, or an alternative Sophia DVI PCB that has the appropriate mounting holes, but not a bad suggestion. However the 576NUC+ PCB as designed is locked in, so there will be no forthcoming changes in that respect :)

There was a guy that rolled his own Sophia connector PCB to use a mini HDMI port instead, so anything is possible with the right amount of effort.

I'm wondering if a small board could be made that has an HDMI connector rather than DVI, I say this as I know the licencing issues regarding HDMI  over DVI, however if we are talking about an alternative for use in this design, and the sophia is still supplied with the original DVI daughter card, would this be a way around it ?

Showing Jan Beta with an Amiga fitted with a admitidly HDMI to HDMI extension cable

Have a look around the 4 Min mark, shows an HDMI socket on a small PCB, with a different style of connector than Sophia uses, I'm sure a board could be designed for either connector that would fit an apropriately re designed case(s).

If it help's, I'm happy to work with Mr Robot to make sure the PCB adapter design(s) are completed ? 

Edited by Simply_Graham
I took to o long and Mytek already posted