IGNORED

The Worlds Smallest Atari 8-Bit?

mytek

15 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

Is there a way to make it so the AVG SIO cable plugs in directly as it comes out of the cart rather than having to route it? SO you would have a custom AVG cable that's about an inch long that comes out and then angles 90 degrees straight down and plugs in.

Well yeah, you can cut a hole in the top of the case right above the AVG connector. I imagine anyone without an AVGcart would rather that not be there so I'm not adding it to the lid by default.

I've routed the cable through the side and there is now a small socket you can push the cable into if it's in the way. This I think is inconspicuous enough to not be annoying for non AVG owners but still easy enough for AVG owners to get to the cable when needed.

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 10.07.46.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I imagine anyone without an AVGcart would rather that not be there so I'm not adding it to the lid by default.

I'd probably opt in. I don't own an AVG, but I'd want it to be there if I did get one (I probably will eventually -- nice cart).

So I chopped off the two front sticking out bits and dropped them to the print bed, I added a nice thick tab to each and added a hole to each side of the main part. That shaves off 8 hours of print time and ~⅓ of the filament. It looks like this

1675840983_ScreenShot2021-07-01at16_34_37.thumb.png.593b4570dbeeaa6784cff741aaf679d7.png

Printed it comes out like this. 

IMG_4554.thumb.jpeg.79424c838a6edfc8c8c25e626c0a57bd.jpeg

There are a couple of quality issues, corners lifting off the bed etc. This is only a test print. Assembled It looks like this. 

IMG_4553.thumb.jpeg.2ef5571ca147b4a42f308d2009468769.jpeg

I think that's a winner so I'm calling it done. Now to dial in the quality.

The central panel is just dying to get customised/personalised :)

IMG_4556.thumb.jpeg.59aa8f04738c21866303d67eaf078304.jpeg

The PCB had a couple of issues (one footprint was wrong, one was round the wrong way and the back edge was too close to the case). 

I've tweaked that but obviously not had any new boards made yet.

• Like 11

On 7/3/2021 at 1:04 PM, Mr Robot said:

So I chopped off the two front sticking out bits and dropped them to the print bed, I added a nice thick tab to each and added a hole to each side of the main part. That shaves off 8 hours of print time and ~⅓ of the filament. It looks like this

1675840983_ScreenShot2021-07-01at16_34_37.thumb.png.593b4570dbeeaa6784cff741aaf679d7.png

Printed it comes out like this. 

IMG_4554.thumb.jpeg.79424c838a6edfc8c8c25e626c0a57bd.jpeg

There are a couple of quality issues, corners lifting off the bed etc. This is only a test print. Assembled It looks like this. 

IMG_4553.thumb.jpeg.2ef5571ca147b4a42f308d2009468769.jpeg

I think that's a winner so I'm calling it done. Now to dial in the quality.

The central panel is just dying to get customised/personalised :)

IMG_4556.thumb.jpeg.59aa8f04738c21866303d67eaf078304.jpeg

The PCB had a couple of issues (one footprint was wrong, one was round the wrong way and the back edge was too close to the case). 

I've tweaked that but obviously not had any new boards made yet.

This is getting some resemblance to the Atari VCS! Very cool! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, StickJock said:

Since it only has one cartridge port, style it to look like a 400.  The blank cover can then look like the cartridge port & have a fake 400-style membrane keyboard on the flat part.  ?

Looks like you have a project to work on when you get yours!

OK so all the little design issues are sorted out, I'm happy with the final result. Here is my 576NUC+Cart in black. My artist wife is going to detail all the embossed/debossed bits with white paint and I'm going to seal it with a few coats of matt clearcoat. I've test coated the black and the clearcoat does a good job of taking the shine off it. 

IMG_4568.thumb.jpeg.62a626595526ff349717a3d60729c4de.jpegIMG_4562.thumb.jpeg.4b419a6514b0ea3f6d06edc1851995c5.jpegIMG_4565.thumb.jpeg.250086475e73f9992b5625c14c286802.jpegIMG_4566.thumb.jpeg.d8db73fce4c2646fb542fc1f99a743de.jpeg

Looking at the back of this, there does look like enough space for a DVI connector on the raised back if the PCB isn't too big.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, hueyjones70 said:

Will these units be available for purchase?

They will. All the redesigning of the case required a tiny amount of PCB redesigning, the dremel and some bodge wires came in handy for that. I need to get another set of test PCB's printed to verify that my physical changes are reflected correctly in the designs and I will then be handing it all over to @MacRorie to work out how he wants to sell it. 

When the rest of the NUC project goes open so will all the stls and gerbers for this. 

24 minutes ago, MrFish said:

That looks fine. The AVG option is a nice touch.

I'm particularly pleased with the way the slopes to the sides of the cart tray (where the logo is) lift the oversized but thinner C64 style cart cases (AVG/SIDE etc.) so that the pcb still lines up with the cart slot. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I'm particularly pleased with the way the slopes to the sides of the cart tray (where the logo is) lift the oversized but thinner C64 style cart cases (AVG/SIDE etc.) so that the pcb still lines up with the cart slot. 

What is that AVG cart that it requires the wires? It is a SD to Card adapter?

Also, will you share the clearcoat you used if anything specific. I'm getting your XL NUC case and I'll want to paint the brown bits brown and also clearcoat mine to seal it. Or can you use any clearcoat in a rattle-can with that type of plastic?

The avgcart has an sio port on the side, if you plug that into the sio port on your Atari you can use the avgcart to load atr, atx, cas etc. without needing a U1mb. I just added an integrated port for the cable. 

turning the NUC on with the avg plugged in and the fujinet enabled will boot to the avgcart interface, hitting escape will exit from the cart and boot the fujinet.

I use Krylon UV-resistant clear it is much finer than rust-oleum clear and dries faster and flatter too.  

image.jpg

The Black NUC+ w/ Cartridge looks fantastic!   I had a dream last night lol...  A guy at pho restaurant brought out a white NUC+ because I was talking about it.... but it didn't have a cartridge and I said "what else you got" and he brought out a huge ATARI box (Graphics like 2600 box from the era) with the BLACK NUC on it.   In the box was this Black NUC w/cartridge slot and came with matching  paddles, four different kinds of joysticks (some with white spinner knobs), trackball, keypad  and 10 cartridges of top games,  It had an integrated lcd 5" screen that flipped up from the back of the NUC and the box had a bigger 20" monitor to plug into as well.   He was gonna sell it to me $600 and I was holding on to it for dear life to buy it...   Then I woke up or dream ended.   Fun dream I couldn't wait to setup and mess with it.

Atari 2600 VCS Empty Console Box  Box Only  NO Inserts image 0

Edited by rsh
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

OK so all the little design issues are sorted out, I'm happy with the final result. Here is my 576NUC+Cart in black. My artist wife is going to detail all the embossed/debossed bits with white paint and I'm going to seal it with a few coats of matt clearcoat. I've test coated the black and the clearcoat does a good job of taking the shine off it. 

IMG_4568.thumb.jpeg.62a626595526ff349717a3d60729c4de.jpegIMG_4562.thumb.jpeg.4b419a6514b0ea3f6d06edc1851995c5.jpegIMG_4565.thumb.jpeg.250086475e73f9992b5625c14c286802.jpegIMG_4566.thumb.jpeg.d8db73fce4c2646fb542fc1f99a743de.jpeg

Looking at the back of this, there does look like enough space for a DVI connector on the raised back if the PCB isn't too big.

Yes and/or a small fan if the NUC needs extra cooling..

image.png

image.png

Edited by rsh

image.png.65d1839b472a5c8720548add100bd588.pngORimage.png.bebb80115192d5c641404b7f035320ab.png

If you wanted to go more 800XL look....  I think I still like all black... Mr. Robot is that printed black or painted afterwards... it looks printed.  Will we get a black option for sale you think? 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, rsh said:

If you wanted to go more 800XL look....  I think I still like all black... Mr. Robot is that printed black or painted afterwards... it looks printed.  Will we get a black option for sale you think? 

Thats a good question- does anyone know any good matches for the 800XL brown/black? In terms of painting?

Rust-oleum #334064 and #249076 are not bad matches. I've used them in the past.

In terms of filament https://colorfabb.com/black-brown-ral-8022 and https://colorfabb.com/oyster-white-ral-1013 are the closest I've found but they come at about 4x the price of 'normal' filament, which (if you wanted something printed in those colours) would quadruple the cost of the print.

This is why we use Eolas Beige and Black ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Curious what is the 3D printer your using?  Is the Atari 576NUC+ Cart made with ABS or PLA type plastic?  Will the final product (for sale) use ABS or does it matter?   Do you think the cart insert part should be made of the stronger ABS for durability?  

My printers are custom. 

The plastic I use is PLA and it's plenty strong enough for this sort of job unless you live in the Sahara, have anger issues, or have hams for hands.

There is a great YT vid about the different types of filament, and their printing properties by a guy who really knows what he's doing and is funny too, it's a long video but is totally worth the time to watch.

• Like 1