IGNORED

The Worlds Smallest Atari 8-Bit?

mytek

1 hour ago, orpheuswaking said:

Hams for hands made me laugh out loud at work :D

I nicknamed someone at work "ham hands" - because when they would click a button and generate an error, they always do it 30 or 40 times, just to "make sure" I guess.  The guy is also a 340 pound former power lifter with ham hock sized hands.  If he ever discovers the nickname, I think I am in for an ass whooping.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Stephen said:

I nicknamed someone at work "ham hands" - because when they would click a button and generate an error, they always do it 30 or 40 times, just to "make sure" I guess.  The guy is also a 340 pound former power lifter with ham hock sized hands.  If he ever discovers the nickname, I think I am in for an ass whooping.

My wife’s company recently did a security audit which included fake phishing emails offering various stuff. One employee clicked on the link over 50 time and then complained to the help desk that the internet was broken. ?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, mdivancic said:

My wife’s company recently did a security audit which included fake phishing emails offering various stuff. One employee clicked on the link over 50 time and then complained to the help desk that the internet was broken. ?

Conversely, we’ve got our people so paranoid about phishing that last month, when corporate hired a big HR consulting firm to survey employees on a big range of topics, dozens of people reported the survey emails as phishing scams and convinced others not to respond. Corporate IT had to send an email just yesterday confirming that these survey emails are NOT phishing scams. ???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2021 at 9:04 PM, Mr Robot said:

OK so all the little design issues are sorted out, I'm happy with the final result. Here is my 576NUC+Cart in black. My artist wife is going to detail all the embossed/debossed bits with white paint and I'm going to seal it with a few coats of matt clearcoat. I've test coated the black and the clearcoat does a good job of taking the shine off it. 

IMG_4568.thumb.jpeg.62a626595526ff349717a3d60729c4de.jpegIMG_4562.thumb.jpeg.4b419a6514b0ea3f6d06edc1851995c5.jpegIMG_4565.thumb.jpeg.250086475e73f9992b5625c14c286802.jpegIMG_4566.thumb.jpeg.d8db73fce4c2646fb542fc1f99a743de.jpeg

I have to say, your 3D model work is really superb! I have been struggling trying to create a multiple part enclosure that could be 3D printed, which is functional and aesthetically pleasing, and am extremely inspired by your work. Kudos!

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I was going to comment on your portable thread about the cx40 top you made for the joystick and ask if you'd made it out of flexible material, it looks great! If you hit a wall and need a fresh pair of eyes feel free to PM me. 

• Like 2

image.png.2d1dbcf8caf8198363977457831c9bfa.png

I came up with another 800XL example. This would require a two color printer because the bottom looks like it's one printed piece.  It's more accurate to what the 800Xl looks like. 

Edited by rsh

On 7/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, DrVenkman said:

Conversely, we’ve got our people so paranoid about phishing that last month, when corporate hired a big HR consulting firm to survey employees on a big range of topics, dozens of people reported the survey emails as phishing scams and convinced others not to respond. Corporate IT had to send an email just yesterday confirming that these survey emails are NOT phishing scams. ???

I did that once too.

Just to annoy management :D

The bonus was that I got praised for being very alert :D

Edited by Level42

22 minutes ago, Level42 said:

On topic: I wish I had time to build a machine like this. So awesome. I'd love a really portable version though, with build-in screen and LIPO batteries to make it run for ages....

This did come out of a proposed project very much like you are talking about. In fact now that the PCB has been fully developed and brought into reality, there is always a possibility of pursuing that idea once again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mytek said:

This did come out of a proposed project very much like you are talking about. In fact now that the PCB has been fully developed and brought into reality, there is always a possibility of pursuing that idea once again.

Someone is already doing one, also based on the XEGS architecture.. :) 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, selgus said:

Someone is already doing one, also based on the XEGS architecture.. :) 

Opps sorry I had a brain fart and totally forgot about your project. Yes there is a Portable Atari in the works :)

• Like 2

I love the internal FujiNet. This is an awesome little machine. I may have to pickup one of these to add to my 1088XEL and my original 8-bits. Actually, speaking of my 1088XEL, and I apologize if it's already been mentioned here, but it would be awesome to see a version of the internal FujiNet become available for the XEL/XLDs as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I love the internal FujiNet. This is an awesome little machine. I may have to pickup one of these to add to my 1088XEL and my original 8-bits.

Yeah the timing of that project vs the 576NUC+ couldn't have worked out better. It really adds what was missing in the original design, that being some means to get programs and games into the machine.

Actually, speaking of my 1088XEL, and I apologize if it's already been mentioned here, but it would be awesome to see a version of the internal FujiNet become available for the XEL/XLDs as well.

Impossible to do that without requiring a lot of somewhat tricky soldering. Unlike the NUC, the XEL only broke-out a bare minimum of the SIO bus internally. Even piggybacking Pokey would not get you all that is required to support FujiNet, and the signals from the PIA are pretty inaccessible underneath the U1MB.

45 minutes ago, mytek said:

Yeah the timing of that project vs the 576NUC+ couldn't have worked out better. It really adds what was missing in the original design, that being some means to get programs and games into the machine.

Impossible to do that without requiring a lot of somewhat tricky soldering. Unlike the NUC, the XEL only broke-out a bare minimum of the SIO bus internally. Even piggybacking Pokey would not get you all that is required to support FujiNet, and the signals from the PIA are pretty inaccessible underneath the U1MB.

Eh, it is what it is then. I'll just use an external one. It's too good not to have, but seeing as everything is pretty much internal to my 1088XEL, it sure would've been nice to have this internal too.

Eh, it is what it is then. I'll just use an external one. It's too good not to have, but seeing as everything is pretty much internal to my 1088XEL, it sure would've been nice to have this internal too.

One issue with an external FujiNet on a 1088XEL is that plugging it in blocks access to the 3.5mm stereo audio connector; so if - like me - you are running video out to a monitor or S-video TV but using external stereo speakers, you're out of luck. The alternative is a DIN13 breakout box, then grabbing the audio and video from there instead of the 3.5mm and S-video/composite jacks. 

I've mentioned this to @MacRorie before and I think he's tossing around the idea of a redesigned FujiNet PCB and case to allow access to the 3.5mm audio jack, but I don't think the idea has gone very far yet. 

You can just plug in an SIO lead and plug the fujinet into the other end of it. It works fine plugged into the cable and doesn't get in the way of the other ports like that. 

If you are comfortable soldering, you can always solder a wire to each SIO pin on the bottom of the board and bring that out the side to make it accessible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

You can just plug in an SIO lead and plug the fujinet into the other end of it. It works fine plugged into the cable and doesn't get in the way of the other ports like that. 

If you are comfortable soldering, you can always solder a wire to each SIO pin on the bottom of the board and bring that out the side to make it accessible.

Yeah, internal would've been cool, but I'll probably just use an SIO cable.

My issue with the "just use an SIO cable" work-around is that most FujiNet devices still suffer from too-short pins inside the male half of the connector and become dislodged too easily. I know mozzwald has been exploring longer pins for a v1.6 hardware reference design, which would be a very, very welcome upgrade. Until then, it's distressingly easy for the cable to become disconnected.

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

My issue with the "just use an SIO cable" work-around is that most FujiNet devices still suffer from too-short pins inside the male half of the connector and become dislodged too easily. I know mozzwald has been exploring longer pins for a v1.6 hardware reference design, which would be a very, very welcome upgrade. Until then, it's distressingly easy for the cable to become disconnected.

It works very well for me on my 1088. I like to have the FN where I can see it and push the buttons if I need to. the back of the 1088 is just not going to work with  a FN. It doen't seem to want to fall out so it may vary depending on the make of the FN device.

IMG_6973.jpg

Edited by massiverobot
added photo

3 minutes ago, massiverobot said:

It works very well for me on my 1088. I like to have the FN where I can see it and push the buttons if I need to. the back of the 1088 is just not going to work with  a FN. It doen't seem to want to fall out so it may vary depending on the make of the FN device.

IMG_6973.jpg

Yes it depends on maker, version of FN, and type of SIO cable. JAE cables seem to work best with FujiNet...

• Like 1

I'm waiting for PCB's to arrive (should be here on Monday), then I need to make a couple and test, then ship out boards to the testers who need to make and test them too, then @MacRorie needs to make some then they can be sold.

Currently I'm the only person in the world who can play Flob on his NUC+ :D 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I love the internal FujiNet. This is an awesome little machine. I may have to pickup one of these to add to my 1088XEL and my original 8-bits. Actually, speaking of my 1088XEL, and I apologize if it's already been mentioned here, but it would be awesome to see a version of the internal FujiNet become available for the XEL/XLDs as well.

Is there a thread that discusses the FN's capabilities and operation.