IGNORED

The Worlds Smallest Atari 8-Bit?

mytek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question -  There was a earlier part of the thread where the power supply was discussed.  I have a battery with a built in solar charger, just needs to get plugged into a panel when charging is needed.  It has a 60w USB C output port and I have a cable that will provide 20v to the correct plug type.  Would that get regulated down to 5 & 12v?  Is it really able to take up to 24v? 

Thank you

Edited by Bee

16 minutes ago, Bee said:

Question -  There was a earlier part of the thread where the power supply was discussed.  I have a battery with a built in solar charger, just needs to get plugged into a panel when charging is needed.  It has a 60w USB C output port and I have a cable that will provide 20v to the correct plug type.  Would that get regulated down to 5 & 12v?

Well almost correct. Yes there is a 5V regulator for the main logic supply, and a 10V zener for the color adjust circuit.

16 minutes ago, Bee said:

Is it really able to take up to 24v? 

It should. The switching regulator is rated for an input of 28V, and the 10V zener has a 1K current limiting resistor feeding it which should protect it from the extra voltage.

EDIT: At a higher input voltage it might require a heat sink for the switching regulator (I'm not sure, but it should be taken under consideration).

• Like 1

I will hold off on that test until my 2nd DIY build then.  I have a 5 pack of 12v 5A USB C power boards coming with a pocket sized USB C power bank I think will output the 12v.  If not I can use it with the larger battery that is fully USB C capable.  I'm curious what will show up on the 12v line of the DB port if it's feed 20v at the DC jack.  The boards I'm getting could be put in place of the DC jack and fully deliver the 12v 3A of the supply that came with my Brewing Academy unit.  

Thank you

If I can't keep black for myself, all colours are allowed :) This one is deep purple, it is going to have a gold atari and embossing with a red/orange/yelow/green/blue diagonal detail at the front next to my white/blue avatar (to reflect my website)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

If I can't keep black for myself, all colours are allowed :) This one is deep purple, it is going to have a gold atari and embossing with a red/orange/yelow/green/blue diagonal detail at the front next to my white/blue avatar (to reflect my website)

That sounds really cool. My painting skills suck so I have a feeling mine are all going to be monochrome. I really like that purple though. I may have to have you print me some random other cases in that filament. 

16 hours ago, Frankie said:

I have a NUC and case, can I just get a new top?

If you are looking for cart functionality then you will need a new fujinet also. TBA will have them available at some point in the future and I believe there is talk of a trade in program for the case tops. 

13 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

If you are looking for cart functionality then you will need a new fujinet also. TBA will have them available at some point in the future and I believe there is talk of a trade in program for the case tops. 

To elaborate on this... you will need a new combo FujiNet/Cart Daughter Board that replaces the FujiNet only version, and a new top lid for the case.

As @orpheuswaking pointed out, it's my understanding that when the time comes, @MacRorie of The Brewing Academy will be doing trade-ins for anyone having the FujiNet only boards. Keep in mind that unless you need the cartridge aspect, your existing FujiNet board is perfectly good to stay with, and is pretty much an exact match with the FN circuitry on the new combo board.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bee said:

Those modules do not have any PSRAM. The FujiNets require 16MB of PSRAM, unless I'm mistaken.

Correction: FujiNet requires the 16MB Flash/8MB RAM WROVER module - ESP32-WROVER-E (16MB). The link posted above is for the 4MB flash WROOM module which is not interchangeable for the FN application.

Edited by mytek
  • Like 1

@mytek Thank you for the clarification.

I found a listing for some here: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001264962468.html?src=google&aff_fcid=dea7ee114e80466ab8ea56009167c01c-1631377319505-03202-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=dea7ee114e80466ab8ea56009167c01c-1631377319505-03202-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=7c1f0e89bd364779b7c43de98d9d741c

says shipping could be here by 9/22

@Mr Robot

How many are you in the market for right now for testing?   I'd like to help out if that would move things forward.

Thank you

Edited by Bee
  • Like 2