IGNORED

The Worlds Smallest Atari 8-Bit?

mytek

I can't wait to see the 3rd party versions of this starting to pop up now it's all available for home builders!

I hope it's going to be really big with the demoscene partygoers in the next couple of years.

That's a point! @mytek did you release the stereo gumby board for the nuc that you made? 

54 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Awesome work and thanks for releasing the design. I've pulled the FujiNet relevant parts and put them in the FujiNet hardware github repo.

Thank you and your team for creating the starting point to all of this ?

BTW, this latest NUC FujiNet version (v1.6) is now using the newer SD Card Detect pin (IO15), but please continue to support IO12, since there will be a number of those out in the field.

53 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

@mytek did you release the stereo gumby board for the nuc that you made?

No and I doubt that I ever will because it's rather abusive to Pokeys which have now become a very rare commodity. I'd hate to see this become a 'thing' and consume whatever Pokeys are left ;)

Gumby-1.thumb.jpg.cb8cb9f0e6028aaf445586be5ef0ad4a.jpg

Gumby-2.thumb.jpg.98a35ff8733ee074ca9f380b4108e896.jpg

What I'm really hoping will happen is a 576NUC+ compatible version of PokeyMax that will fit and fully work with the NUC TK-II version, although I think that last part might already be there. just need something to clear the standoff on the lower right side.

15 minutes ago, Thelen said:

What a fantastic piece of work! Also the case from mr. Robot with cartridge port, very nice! First try to finish my 1088XEL ?

Yeah Mr Robot has gotta be the best and most prolific 3D creator I've ever seen :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mytek said:

Thank you and your team for creating the starting point to all of this ?

BTW, this latest NUC FujiNet version (v1.6) is now using the newer SD Card Detect pin (IO15), but please continue to support IO12, since there will be a number of those out in the field.

No and I doubt that I ever will because it's rather abusive to Pokeys which have now become a very rare commodity. I'd hate to see this become a 'thing' and consume whatever Pokeys are left ;)

Gumby-1.thumb.jpg.cb8cb9f0e6028aaf445586be5ef0ad4a.jpg

Gumby-2.thumb.jpg.98a35ff8733ee074ca9f380b4108e896.jpg

What I'm really hoping will happen is a 576NUC+ compatible version of PokeyMax that will fit and fully work with the NUC TK-II version, although I think that last part might already be there. just need something to clear the standoff on the lower right side.

Yeah Mr Robot has gotta be the best and most prolific 3D creator I've ever seen :)

sorry to hear that you want continue in the gumby, I already canibalize some of my broken ataries for pokeys to have a stereo in my new nuc .....

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Would a pokeyone work as a replacement for the 2nd pokey in the gumby stack? 

It would from a electrical standpoint, but unfortunately not from a size aspect. just like the PokeyMAX, the PokeyONE requires more room around it's perimeter than an actual Pokey chip would use, and when stacked with a real Pokey would also be too high to fit under the FujiNet daughter board.

PokeyONE_sml.png.e2b097c54feb8ee57d02c9f6e5966db4.png

When I was developing the 576NUC+ the PokeyMAX was in flux, and one of the first pictures I came across from ABBUC I missed the fact that there was an overhang extending beyond the actual socket pins. Although on the right side it wasn't any worse than the PokeyONE.

PokeyMAX-770x472.thumb.jpg.3614942dcca792742b060a824ffacde5.jpg

Later as the PokeyMAX design evolved, this situation appears to have gotten worse, with even more overhang.

Pokeymax_v2.thumb.jpg.5619404865a7e4f54d78137c5245cd40.jpg

In order for the PokeyMAX to fit the 576NUC+ it would need to have a PCB re-design with a notch cutout like shown below.

NUC_PokeyMAX_example.thumb.jpg.f646eaf0e5c48b166c4e207700f62828.jpg

If this were done it would not impact the PokeyMAX for any other application, but would of course open it up for the 576NUC+ use. I believe @foft has corrected the timing issues that originally were problematic for the TK-II. And as can be seen, there are already headers with the extra addressing and GTIA beep signals that allow full use of the PokeyMAX features, as well as the means to connect the PokeyMAX stereo audio outputs to the DIN-8 Audio/Video jack.

This would really be the best way to add stereo capability to the 576NUC+. My Gumby Interface board was simply a fun diversion, but was never seriously intended to be mass produced :)

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

There was a correction needed on an image download from my website. the image was a depiction of the specialized navigation keys triggered by the use of the ALT key in combination to add the ability to easily maneuver around the AtariWriter (Plus or 80) word processing program. This came about when i was testing AtariWriter 80 with my new XEP80-II board, and I was getting tired of having to memorize the odd key combinations to normally do so.

Here is the corrected version.

576NUC_TK-II_Nav.png.eee80209535c02ce794ddafe95123d0b.png

This is presently only available on the V1.7 firmware for the NUC TK-II. Eventually I'd like to migrate this over to the standard TK-II for use in all machines, but first I'll need to do some refactoring to make space for it.

Other changes in the V1.7 Firmware...

• FIXED: When launching into FujiNet with Basic Disabled, the No Basic aspect wouldn't stick and still required holding the Option key (F4) to insure that Basic stayed off when loading a file.
  • FIXED: A CTRL+SHIFT+A was being sent for clearing the keyboard buffer that was interfering with the AVG Cart. This has now been moved to occur very early in the process, so it should no longer be an issue.

• Like 2

This is slightly off topic. 

This project gave me some idea. We could have one Atari NUC styled board, but striiped of all ports that could be paired with another pcb (L shaped, to save fiberglass and cost) which would contain all connectors and have space for optional #FujiNet and other extensions or mods. The NUC would be plugged in into this interface board, which would be specific for each Atari case. 

6 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

This project gave me some idea. We could have one Atari NUC styled board, but striiped of all ports that could be paired with another pcb (L shaped, to save fiberglass and cost) which would contain all connectors and have space for optional #FujiNet and other extensions or mods. The NUC would be plugged in into this interface board, which would be specific for each Atari case. 

Not a bad idea, although I'll leave that up to others to do whatever they want. For me this project arrived where I intended, and I consider it completed :)

However with that said, the schematics are available for anyone that wishes to go in some new direction.

• Like 3

On 10/16/2021 at 7:16 PM, mytek said:

Not a bad idea, although I'll leave that up to others to do whatever they want. For me this project arrived where I intended, and I consider it completed :)

However with that said, the schematics are available for anyone that wishes to go in some new direction.

than when you are right, then you can also publish the gumby PCB layout and anyone can use your ideas to maybe make another alternative of stereo for NUC+ ... The PokeyMAX is possibility but not 100% same as usage of original POKEY chips :) ...

but this is only my opition .

On 10/16/2021 at 1:06 PM, ZuluGula said:

A mini 1090 for the NUC!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, expi said:

than when you are right, then you can also publish the gumby PCB layout and anyone can use your ideas to maybe make another alternative of stereo for NUC+ ...

The gumby circuit has been done many times, with small variations by various people including myself in the 1088 series boards, so no real point in me publishing anything specific to the 576NUC+. Besides I really don't wish to encourage dual Pokey setups with how difficult they already are to get a hold of.

2 hours ago, expi said:

The PokeyMAX is possibility but not 100% same as usage of original POKEY chips :) ...

but this is only my opition .

I was under the impression that PokeyMAX was a very good FPGA clone of the original Pokey sound. You feel differently?

• Like 1

Folks

Does anyone in Europe have a spare board for sale? I'd love to order from The Brewing Academy, but the shipping is more than the board itself, which kills the whole idea for me :(

Thanks in advance for help!

greetings from The Netherlands

Marek

3 hours ago, Marek said:

Folks

Does anyone in Europe have a spare board for sale? I'd love to order from The Brewing Academy, but the shipping is more than the board itself, which kills the whole idea for me :(

Thanks in advance for help!

greetings from The Netherlands

Marek

I'd be surprised if Abbuc don't get  some made for members.

14 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I'd be surprised if Abbuc don't get  some made for members.

The Gerbers are public https://ataribits.weebly.com/576nuc.html

if we find enough Europeans with interest, we could get our own batch produced in China - depending on qty, the price could be feasible...

BTW: I am not volunteering ;-) neither enough funds to finance, nor enough time to organize

Not sure, if ABBUC aleady plans to do this...

But: interest to build? definitely ?

1 hour ago, LarryL said:

if we find enough Europeans with interest, we could get our own batch produced in China - depending on qty, the price could be feasible...

BTW: I am not volunteering ;-) neither enough funds to finance, nor enough time to organize

Yeah, that's also an idea. I can check the price on pcbway (minimum was 5 or 10 if not mistaken) and then we can check if there's enough interest for the boards alone.

If there's enough interest, financing shouldn't be a big problem, I think (depending on the cost)

6 hours ago, LarryL said:

Yes that's what I meant, Get some boards made, not get some NUC's made. :)