IGNORED

The Worlds Smallest Atari 8-Bit?

mytek

16 hours ago, Kveldulfur said:

Hello!

Is there still a set left which could be purchased?

Come from Germany.

Greetings

I also got the PCBs from @Marek 

excellent contact ?

…and I am from Germany, too ?

Still waiting for a batch of components from Mouser, will most probably start building early January

So, if you @Kveldulfur are short of some of the special components - I might have some of them as spare…

• 2 weeks later...

But now, I'd like to ask for help with the FUJINET.

Trying to flash the firmware but getting this error all the time

Using 'COM3' as serial port.
Starting firmware upgrade...
Getting latest firmware from fujinet.online..
FujiNet Version: 0.5.cec57d6a
Version Date/Time: 2021-12-11 17:57:01
Build Date/Time: Mon Dec 13 01:57:05 UTC 2021
Unexpected error: could not open port 'COM3': FileNotFoundError(2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.', None, 2)

Is there a special procedure here (buttons combination or so)?

2 hours ago, Marek said:

But now, I'd like to ask for help with the FUJINET.

Trying to flash the firmware but getting this error all the time

Using 'COM3' as serial port.
Starting firmware upgrade...
Getting latest firmware from fujinet.online..
FujiNet Version: 0.5.cec57d6a
Version Date/Time: 2021-12-11 17:57:01
Build Date/Time: Mon Dec 13 01:57:05 UTC 2021
Unexpected error: could not open port 'COM3': FileNotFoundError(2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.', None, 2)

Is there a special procedure here (buttons combination or so)?

I replied in the other thread.  I think you have to insert an SD card in the device before it can be flashed.  Also, I believe it needs powered up with the A button held down to make it enter flash mode.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marek said:

Folks, I'm happy to inform, that my NUC is working :) No issues. It just works :) Thanks for the great project and sharing it!

4EBA999E-293F-4A79-A710-CC9D51789438.jpeg

806F29E5-9356-45B1-B8CE-92628C912010.jpeg

Cool - you found my little easter egg I see :)  You're the 1st person outside of the beta testers to post it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

yay! what did I win ? ;)

btw, I've just flashed the Fujinet and it works.

I've used different PC and the method that worked was to:

1. connect the cable and turn Fujinet ON

2. click the flash firmware button

3. immediatelly press and hold the A button until the "erasing flash" message came in.

After this is just worked.

Now, I can start to learn, how to use NUC and Fujinet!

It's a really great Christmas gift for me :D

Thank you, again, guys!

p.s., I seem to not have the PacMan game.. after booting with ALT+3 I'm getting the normal basic prompt. Could be that I should use the other rom file? 

Edited by Marek
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Cool - you found my little easter egg I see :)  You're the 1st person outside of the beta testers to post it.

HA, not to take anything away from @marek (great job building yours!) but it's in pg. 4 of my NUC Handbook!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ittnxta65pxng3h/NQRG- QuickRefGuide_v1h-med.pdf?dl=0

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 3.23.26 PM.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, massiverobot said:

HA, not to take anything away from @marek (great job building yours!) but it's in pg. 4 of my NUC Handbook!

I am so sorry!  I did download your manual, but honestly didn't really go through it as my 576 was built and I got sidetracked on my next project (got my 520ST back running after a decade of it in storage).

Sorry #2 - nobody wins anything.  I was just wondering when it would get noticed.

2 hours ago, massiverobot said:

Ah.. Indeed :) hahaha Just downloaded it, looking for a manual - how to use NUC+FN :)

Thanks!

On 12/24/2021 at 5:48 PM, Stephen said:

I am so sorry!  I did download your manual, but honestly didn't really go through it as my 576 was built and I got sidetracked on my next project (got my 520ST back running after a decade of it in storage).

Sorry #2 - nobody wins anything.  I was just wondering when it would get noticed.

Also made sure I got the details from @mytek on who did what, and I credited you on the Story Page....

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 6.50.23 PM.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, massiverobot said:

Also made sure I got the details from @mytek on who did what, and I credited you on the Story Page....

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 6.50.23 PM.png

I had meant to do a blog for this.  I did not have source code - I disassembled two versions of the 1200XL OS.  One drew the logo programmatically, the other used a compressed data stream to do it.  I did my changes on graph paper and injected the assembled code using a monitor.  Not the best way to do things, but definitely old school!

• Like 4

NUC/FujiNet Daughter Board BOM Update

The NUC/FujiNet was originally developed using a now obsolete SOT-223 packaged 3.3V voltage regulator (NCV4274ST33T3G). It was then changed to it's close cousin the NCV4274AST33T3G which is still an active part, but soon disappeared from many vendors stock because it also happens to be a part used extensively in the automotive industry and became a part of the now infamous 'Chip Shortage'. So it got changed once again to the LD1117S33TR which many vendors do have in stock.

So this all seems to be going in the right direction... right?

Not so fast. Unbeknownst to me at the time it got changed, the LD1117S33TR has an entirely different pin out which is not compatible (see below).

Regulator_pinout_descrepency.png.a4c2e8a8e08ec9c091e263dc110f6ec6.png

Notice that it's not only reversed, but also has the GND in the wrong spot, so even flipping it over wouldn't do the trick.

Note: the NCV4274AST33T3G has the same pin out as the NCV4274ST33T3G.

Anyway I think I found a place with a pretty good stock of the NCV4274AST33T3G regulator (at least for now).

Aliexpress (Buy LINK)

image.png

I have 10 of these on order, and plan to report back when I get them in my paws as to whether they truly are what they appear to be ;)

The BOM has been updated at: https://ataribits.weebly.com/576nuc.html

This only affects the NUC/FujiNet Daughter Board.

Edited by mytek
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, ivop said:

There's something wrong with the luminance. It goes 0, 4, 8, 12 four times, instead of 0, 1, ... 14, 15. Could be a malfunctioning GTIA, or a solder bridge somewhere in the video out circuit, or something completely different ;)

Thanks, will start checking tomorrow 

Might be something completely different though ;-) 

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Do you have the PAL colourbusrt daughterboard built?  I did not set up my NUC as PAL since both of my 1088s are.

Yes, sure - it sits underneath the GTIA

13E74B7A-4457-49FF-BB01-4675F7B1F6D4.thumb.jpeg.b2562f506afd193528039350dff4dc0c.jpeg

I exchanged the GTIA and now it looks much better

DEF28557-4351-4EA3-84DA-04A7E2721DD7.thumb.jpeg.f1d6adb764c159238a3ba92f553f159f.jpeg

is this how it should look like?

• Like 2