IGNORED

The Worlds Smallest Atari 8-Bit?

mytek

10 minutes ago, cobracon said:

Yeah really threw me off lol. Here is the cable I got: https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/cable-for-atari-computers-and-ti-99-4a-computers

Hope this helps anyone else with this question.

Yep that's one of those more or less universal DIN-5 to RCA break-out cables. Maybe @MacRorie can be persuaded to include a note with the color legend specified :)

I got the same cable with my NUC, I discovered - from trial and error - that the RCA connectors are laid out like this: yellow - composite video, black - audio (mono), white - Luma signal (Y), red - chroma signal (C). I've had to build a cable to get the Y/C signals from RCA to a standard DIN 4 connector to use S-video. 

1 hour ago, Peruchi said:

I got the same cable with my NUC, I discovered - from trial and error - that the RCA connectors are laid out like this: yellow - composite video, black - audio (mono), white - Luma signal (Y), red - chroma signal (C). I've had to build a cable to get the Y/C signals from RCA to a standard DIN 4 connector to use S-video. 

Actually that's not bad, since composite is normally associated with the color yellow (check out the composite jack color on an HDTV). And I believe if you look inside the more professional S-Video cables the Luma (Y) and the Chroma (C) use those same colors you mentioned for the wires. Much better arrangement then one I have over here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hueyjones70 said:

Are there options concerning the boot up languages/games. Could I get Omniview XE or would I need to provide my own EEPROM?

The ROM consists of two OS banks, each with a separate Basic and optional cartridge image.  You can stick whatever you want in there (that's applicable).

15 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

Are there options concerning the boot up languages/games. Could I get Omniview XE or would I need to provide my own EEPROM?

You would have to program (or reprogram) the EEPROM based on this hierarchy.

576NUCplus_ROM_Geometry.png.8b19bfd7aecb7bf1d7bdd57fa5805e29.png

But keep in mind that the OS would need to be some derivative of XEGS or have compatibility with in order to retain all the language/game slots. I'm not familiar enough with the Omniview XE to know if that would fit the bill.

23 minutes ago, hueyjones70 said:

Omniview is fully compatible with the XL/XE OS.

Yes, but I specifically pointed out that the 576NUC+ is based on the XEGS not the plain vanilla XE. I believe there were changes in the OS to support the XEGS external keyboard detect via one of GTIA's TRIG inputs, and there might have been other changes related to the added game slot, although that might have just been taken care of by the MMU which is unique in the XEGS.

52 minutes ago, mytek said:

Yes, but I specifically pointed out that the 576NUC+ is based on the XEGS not the plain vanilla XE. I believe there were changes in the OS to support the XEGS external keyboard detect via one of GTIA's TRIG inputs, and there might have been other changes related to the added game slot, although that might have just been taken care of by the MMU which is unique in the XEGS.

You are correct, the XEGS OS does have checks for TRIG2 to check for the keyboard being attached, along with CONSOL, to determine what should execute on boot.

4 hours ago, selgus said:

You are correct, the XEGS OS does have checks for TRIG2 to check for the keyboard being attached, along with CONSOL, to determine what should execute on boot.

Thanks for the conformation. Yeah I really should have mentioned the console (SELECT) key connection as well. I have to invoke that along with the MMU game enable bit to force the game slot to come online.

4 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

How about the HSIO slot?

The HSIO is simply an XEGS OS with Hias's High Speed SIO patch applied, so no on substituting a non-XEGS compatible OS for that one.

What does Omniview XE bring to the table ? 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to @Eyvind Bernhardsen for creating an 8K ROM version of SpeedScript 3.0, and @dmsc for creating an 8K ROM version of his FastBasic. Because of their efforts I have put together what I call the Programmer-Pack ROM for the 576NUC+ that incorporates these applications. Please keep in mind that these are both beta releases, so bug reports will likely be appreciated (links below) ;)

576NUC_64K_Programmer-Pack.rom

SLOT1: Altirra Basic

SLOT2: FastBasic

SLOT3: Assembler/Editor

SLOT4: SpeedScript

Both OSs are now the same High Speed SIO patched XEGS OS derivative, with the Altirra Fast Math Pack integrated. So you will have high speed access to any SIO device that supports it (FujiNet, SDrive, SIO2PC-USB, ect.) in all four SLOTs

BTW, all the ROMs used in the Programmer-Pack SLOTs should also work in any one of the U1MB's four BASIC SLOTs.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, mytek said:

BTW, all the ROMs used in the Programmer-Pack SLOTs should also work in any one of the U1MB's four BASIC SLOTs.

Well to be clear, 'all the individual 8K ROM files' will work - not the 64K image I uploaded.

• 2 weeks later...

@Dinadan67I noticed your wireless game pad.

What would really be great is if the 8Bitdo had an Atari version of the their wireless dongle. It's much more streamlined and small. Stupid Genesis for putting 5V on a different pin, which was even stupider considering that almost every Atari from the 2600 through the XE, as well as the VIC20 and the C64 were based on the same pin-out well before the Genesis arrived on the scene. In fact I would think that with all the systems that would work with it, that an Atari compatible version of the 8Bitdo would be a financial success.

BTW congrats on your new NUC :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 7:51 PM, mytek said:

Well the basis for the drive was called SDrive-Simple in the non NUC implementation for a reason. And to be fair this is based on the SDrive-Max firmware, so unless you also want an LCD touch screen, there was no way to simple connect a push button switch to swap disks. But realistically how often do the majority of users actually need to have this? I remember being all excited when developing the XEL-CF3 that we were now going to have this fantastically great disk swap function. Well after testing it and demoing it for several people, I settled into using this new CF drive and established my actual usage. Low and behold I never found the need to use the swap button ever again. Of course other people's requirements will vary from mine, but I also wouldn't be surprised if a lot people end up just like me. Perhaps if you are a diehard gamer that loves the crap out playing multi-disk games, you will miss this feature.

Anyway this isn't the first time I've heard someone's disappointment of not having a swap button, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Good thing I like it for what it does do, after all I'm the guy who this was created for, and then decided to share it with others while making zero $$$ for the effort :lolblue:

Panther please don't take any of this babbling the wrong way, because you simply asked the question out of curiosity. But when looked at from my perspective here's the conversation I keep having over and over again...

ME

"Hey look what I designed and piggy-backed on the great work of Bob!k, Raster, and KBr."

"It's meant to be installed internally so as to leave the SIO port free for other devices."

"It embodies the basic functions of a disk drive,  while being able to mimic up to 4 floppies on the SIO bus."

"it can use either Standard Size SD cards or with a simple adapter Micro-SDs."

"And due to its simple hardware implementation, it's very inexpensive."

RESPONSE

"But where's the Swap Button?"

i've seen this scenario repeat itself many times over in my Atari upgrade development career. I'm always held to this notion if product XYZ had a feature I've left off, that's what people always love to focus on. Nothing else seems to matter. Wow it's amazing to me that people aren't shooting themselves in the head for buying a car that is missing a feature that some other car has ;)

Oh and before I forget, no you can't load cassette tape files or something other than XEX or ATRs. Boy I sure do miss my cassette tape days, NOT! I couldn't wait to save up enough money to buy my first disk drive. but after doing so there was no looking back :)  I also feel the same way about using real floppies instead of an SD or CF card.

EDIT: I think in the future I'll just provide a link to this post if I get asked about the missing swap button :grin:

Don't worry- just slap a FujiNet on the SIO port and _it_ has a swap button. You can swap out between all 4 mounted disks easily, and you'll also have Internet access for your Atari.

• 4 weeks later...

CARTRIDGE AND FUJINET on NUC+ with CART:

Just moved my house done unpacking and I'm finally tinkering with the NUC+ and FujiNet..   I bought the NUC+ with Cart & FujiNet.   Viewing older videos with the external FujiNet device and real computer, once the FujiNet boot drive is set it stays persistent on power cycle.  But with the NUC+ it reboots

back to FujiNet every time like the reset button was pushed on external device.   The NUC+ doesn't have a reset button for FujiNet.   Even if I try and ALT+2 to basic from within FujiNet it keeps going back into FujiNet.  How do I get back to CARTRIDGE or ALT+2 with the FujiNet drive still configured?  

To the same point how do I use a cartridge with FujiNet on NUC+.   If I turn off the FujiNet in back switch of NUC+ the cartridge is identified on power cycle.  But If I turn on FujiNet switch it boots to FujiNet and I can't reboot/cycle to cartridge with drive configured

from FuijNet.   I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.  Any help would be great.   Maybe I didn't RTFM enough lol !  Thanks !

17 hours ago, rsh said:

CARTRIDGE AND FUJINET on NUC+ with CART:

Just moved my house done unpacking and I'm finally tinkering with the NUC+ and FujiNet..   I bought the NUC+ with Cart & FujiNet.   Viewing older videos with the external FujiNet device and real computer, once the FujiNet boot drive is set it stays persistent on power cycle.  But with the NUC+ it reboots

back to FujiNet every time like the reset button was pushed on external device.   The NUC+ doesn't have a reset button for FujiNet.   Even if I try and ALT+2 to basic from within FujiNet it keeps going back into FujiNet.  How do I get back to CARTRIDGE or ALT+2 with the FujiNet drive still configured?  

To the same point how do I use a cartridge with FujiNet on NUC+.   If I turn off the FujiNet in back switch of NUC+ the cartridge is identified on power cycle.  But If I turn on FujiNet switch it boots to FujiNet and I can't reboot/cycle to cartridge with drive configured

from FuijNet.   I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.  Any help would be great.   Maybe I didn't RTFM enough lol !  Thanks !

I just read somewhere you need an external usb power to the FujiNet to keep it persistent... Maybe that is what I'm missing. On the back of the NUC+ there is a usb and looks like the third button for reset.  I will try it out tonight. 

1 minute ago, rsh said:

I just read somewhere you need an external usb power to the FujiNet to keep it persistent... Maybe that is what I'm missing. On the back of the NUC+ there is a usb and looks like the third button for reset.  I will try it out tonight. 

The USB connector on the back is for firmware updates, with the latest firmware the chosen disk image should be persistent. Try updating your FujiNet.

52 minutes ago, Dinadan67 said:

The USB connector on the back is for firmware updates, with the latest firmware the chosen disk image should be persistent. Try updating your FujiNet.

Ok thanks .. I thought of that... but I just got the thing a couple months ago... my version from within FujiNet config says v1.5.?(something)...  I found a Fujinet firmware page but doesn't give a firmware version number just the flash installer for OS's.   Can you give me your link to the latest firmware?    How do we know what has changed between Fujinet versions?

Edited by rsh