IGNORED

Master System Fantasy Zone with FM audio

Atariboy

While not a Sega Genesis question, I've been on a Fantasy Zone kick in the past week and wondered if anyone has ever successfully extracted this M2 developed rom edit from the Sega 3D Classics Collection on the 3DS (Fantasy Zone preceded the FM sound module)? While I own the collection and a 3DS, I would love to be able to play it on a big screen via my Mega Everdrive or Mega Sg.

Come to think of it, this would've been a cool little extra for M2 to include on the Sega Genesis Mini, much like how they tossed in a variety of hidden extra games on the subsequent TurboGrafx-16 Mini. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Genesis doesn't support SMS FM sound... the SMS FM is different than Genesis. And even if you can use edited ROMs to play FM sound it could still sound different. I think the SMS uses 2op FM and the Genesis uses 4op FM. 

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Confused 1

Thanks, but I'm afraid you misunderstood the original post. I'm not inquiring about how to play FM enabled games. Like the topic title says, I'm inquiring about a specific game. 

"While not a Sega Genesis question, I've been on a Fantasy Zone kick in the past week and wondered if anyone has ever successfully extracted this M2 developed rom edit from the Sega 3D Classics Collection on the 3DS (Fantasy Zone preceded the FM sound module)? While I own the collection and a 3DS, I would love to be able to play it on a big screen via my Mega Everdrive or Mega Sg."

I'm good to go with FM capability with Sega Master System games. Both my Mega Everdrive cartridge on my original Genesis and my Analogue Mega Sg can simulate FM audio just fine for FM enabled SMS roms. 

As the thread title and original post say, I'm inquiring if anyone has ever extracted the edited rom of Fantasy Zone that developer M2 made for the Sega 3D Classics line, that added in optional FM audio to the original Sega Master System release of Fantasy Zone (Which didn't include FM audio at release since the FM sound module was still a year away).

Fantasy Zone II for the SMS had optional FM sound at release and developer M2 wanted to edit the the original game to also include the feature when they tossed in both SMS games as an extra for the Sega 3D Classics Collection on the Nintendo 3DS (Known as Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 2 in Japan). 

I'd like to know if someone has actually succeeded at extracting this edited rom and successfully gotten it to play on a Sega Master System or Sega Genesis.

Edited by Atariboy

I didn't know they added FM to the game.

I could take a look later, maybe, but all my ROM editing tools are on the other computer.

Edit: I wouldn't get your hopes up, though. According to Chris Covell, it sounds like the FM music might not be embedded in the Fantasy Zone ROM itself: https://www.smspower.org/forums/post100505?sid=29741f1cbed02640ac5397fffe0e3a0a#100505

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1