IGNORED

Systems That Are Easy To Get A Complete Library

For most systems, it's nearly impossible to get a complete collection. But there are some systems that have a very small library and you can realistically get a complete collection. 

I'd like to add the Cassettevision to the list, it has 11 released games (and 1 unreleased game, but I believe there's only one in existence so it doesn't count). The Virtual Boy has 14 NA games and 19 Japanese games, although there are some rare ones so it would be a little difficult to collect for.

Do you guys know any more systems with a small library?

1 hour ago, GoldenWheels said:

How about a GOOD system like the 7800....59 games....

Yeah the 7800 is not bad and the rarest game (tank command) is only around 100 usd cart only and pretty much always available 

Odyssey 2 is pretty easy only power lords and the 2 Imagic games aren't always available, but they're not that rare and aren't ultra expensive either

The lynx is pretty easy, super asteroids/missile command is the big one but still not unimaginable expensive,  the telegames release are all readily available at songbird , not cheap, but not super expensive either 

• Like 1

The 1 cassettevision game with the white cart is pretty hard to find....

Game.com is pretty easy besides wheel of fortune 2.

Microvision is pretty easy.

Bally astrocade is also not bad if you only go for the 1st party set.

Rca s2 isnt bad either to finish.

Telstar arcade is pretty easy with only 4 titles.

Tomy tutor at 10 isnt too bad....although i dont see them much anymore.

Apf isnt too bad to get a loose set.

And actionmax at only 5 would be easy except for blue thunder.

Thats about all i can think of. Besides the 7800 already mentioned as well as 5200...both a bit bigger sets but the titles do come up for sale.

SuperGrafx is by far the easiest that I can think of. It only has 5 games, and 6 if you count Darius Plus since it's SuperGrafx enhanced. Darius Alpha isn't actually SuperGrafx enhanced, which is good because that lowers the price considerably.

The only problem is 1941 Counter Attack, which costs about the same as the SuperGrafx + all of the other games combined. You could make a case for needing every PC Engine game to complete the collection, though, but for now I consider those 5/6 games + the system a complete library.

5 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I can't find a photo of Elevator Panic do you mind showing a picture of your copy?

Sure, when i get a chance i will post a pic. The insert is scanned in my cassettevision collection thread but not the cart yet.

• Thanks 1

Studio II is probably the easiest US set to complete, assuming that TV Bingo wasn't released at any RCA dealerships. Given the 99.6% certainty that it wasn't, Studio II has only 10 games and three rarest still come up on Ebay plenty of times per year. Cost isn't an issue, either- you can buy most of the library for the original retail prices of $15-$20, which if you adjust for inflation means they've gotten cheaper over time! Including a boxed system, the whole set can be completed for around $300-$400. 

If you're a variant collector, Studio II is still easy. There's only 2 different US system boxes, and only 3 major game box variants. 

• Like 1

To the OP, why is that even a thing?

I mean I understand that once one scratches some hitches with the classics, one puts his/her attention towards more exotic systems, but why trying for an "easy full set" is even a thing?

There are many collectors with whole full sets on the forums, and completionism is its own thing altogether, but from the question it almost appears as if you're asking: "what's the easy console one can earn bragging rights going for a full romset?".

I am sure I misinterpreted your question, these days I've been in a bad mood, at any rate I would ask "aside the classics what are other fun consoles to collect for?" ... the "gotta catch'em all-small library edition" seems so weird to me.

4 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

To the OP, why is that even a thing?

I mean I understand that once one scratches some hitches with the classics, one puts his/her attention towards more exotic systems, but why trying for an "easy full set" is even a thing?

There are many collectors with whole full sets on the forums, and completionism is its own thing altogether, but from the question it almost appears as if you're asking: "what's the easy console one can earn bragging rights going for a full romset?".

I am sure I misinterpreted your question, these days I've been in a bad mood, at any rate I would ask "aside the classics what are other fun consoles to collect for?" ... the "gotta catch'em all-small library edition" seems so weird to me.

This thread is about giving recommendations for beginner collectors (mainly the one's who aim to get as much as possible), it can help answer some questions about obtaining a full set in general. Plus it's kind of fun to challenge yourself with a small collection, if you're going for a bigger collection like the NES or Dreamcast, the rarer games usually come up on eBay and other sites often, but with smaller libraries, usually, the rare games don't show up often (usually because the system's rather obscure), so you actually have to seek a copy out instead of camping on eBay. 

On 6/19/2020 at 11:24 PM, high voltage said:

Is the US Pokémon mini still easy to collect? 4 games. 

5 games, when including Europe.

There are some Japan exclusives that are pretty pricy. I paid $200 for a game called Togepi's Adventure.

For someone who wants a complete collection that is >10 games, I suggest the Leapfrog Didj handheld. There's 17 games for it total and none are expensive.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 4:18 AM, Magmavision2000 said:

This thread is about giving recommendations for beginner collectors (mainly the one's who aim to get as much as possible), it can help answer some questions about obtaining a full set in general. Plus it's kind of fun to challenge yourself with a small collection, if you're going for a bigger collection like the NES or Dreamcast, the rarer games usually come up on eBay and other sites often, but with smaller libraries, usually, the rare games don't show up often (usually because the system's rather obscure), so you actually have to seek a copy out instead of camping on eBay. 

What an odd concept. Why does one become a "beginner collector?"

Here's my advice: Buy the Xbox One and PS4 games you want now, maybe a few more you want every few years or so, then in 30 years if you still have them, you'll be a "collector." That's how I did it.

Edited by DJ Clae
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, atari2600land said:

There are some Japan exclusives that are pretty pricy. I paid $200 for a game called Togepi's Adventure.

For someone who wants a complete collection that is >10 games, I suggest the Leapfrog Didj handheld. There's 17 games for it total and none are expensive.

If you're just buying loose the worst one is that Togepi game for around what you paid there, can be a little worse due to the current stupidity going on that won't sustain though.  One that can be pretty horrid is Tetris, the EURO version as it was almost not store released so it's very tiny in totals, it maybe #2 on the list.  The rest, again, loose, they're not terrible so it's more practical than buying other Nintendo stuff if you factor the US Virtual Boy library even into that.

I've got a mini, have a label removed pokemon breeder that's basically not playable so I"ll end up perhaps using the shell for a DITTO device at some point, and then I have shock tetris and an english pokemon party mini.

Small library doesn't necessarily mean easy to collect. Game.com is a small library, and the system is dirt common, however, it's not up on ebay very often. Granted, it's over all terrible, so no biggie if you can't find them.

Is wof2 really considered rare? I couldn't see it going more than $10 even if it is considered rare.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 7:49 AM, Blazing Lazers said:

Studio II is probably the easiest US set to complete, assuming that TV Bingo wasn't released at any RCA dealerships. Given the 99.6% certainty that it wasn't, Studio II has only 10 games and three rarest still come up on Ebay plenty of times per year. Cost isn't an issue, either- you can buy most of the library for the original retail prices of $15-$20, which if you adjust for inflation means they've gotten cheaper over time! Including a boxed system, the whole set can be completed for around $300-$400. 

If you're a variant collector, Studio II is still easy. There's only 2 different US system boxes, and only 3 major game box variants. 

I like this answer because it puts an approximate total price. Because, I conflate 'easy' with 'cheapest'. What is being discussed here truly breaks down to cost. If something is rather cheap, it will be easy to acquire. 

• Like 1

Just now, DJ Clae said:

Okay, but I think you'll have more fun if you just buy games you want to play instead of approaching it as collecting.

I think that's how collectors generally start out. ?

At least, I did. It sure was a slippery slope! ?

I get what you're saying though. Completing a collection for the sake of having a complete collection doesn't make the games themselves any better.