IGNORED

Systems That Are Easy To Get A Complete Library

I can understand the desire to have a full collection of games for a system. If you feel this way, you probably think like some coin collectors at an important level. Those blue Whitman albums that had a space for every date and mint mark are based on the logic of this kind of collecting.

If it doesn't seem weird that some coin collectors do this and it does seem weird that some video game collectors do this, then that dissonance has something to do with the notion that video games are valuable because they can be played and not because they are valuable in and of themselves. That's a legit perspective, and it probably seeps into discussions of comic book collecting--"why are you slabbing that book instead of thumbing through it and enjoying the experience it gives you?" I think it's useful to make these comparisons to figure out just what it is about video game completionists that is so objectionable.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

Because one is interested in games from previous generations, and one has to start somewhere? ?‍♂️

This is exactly what i thought when the question was raised.

Everyone starts somewhere. 

And it seems alot of people just dont understand collecting...

I guess you do or you dont. I have collected many things and videogames has been the most enjoyable...the history...the unknown things....and yes you can play them too lol

Vectrex maybe? I don't know but I once had dreams of having a complete collection, or two (Intellivision & ColecoVision), but flashcarts kind of spoiled me on that. I probably will try for a complete Vectrex collection at some point though, because that's much more feasible. :)

23 hours ago, masschamber said:

I'd say the channel f can be crossed off the list since checkers costs a small fortune.

Agreed at this point.  Even if it hadn’t gone nuts, it just isn’t available often enough for the average collector to get a copy. Vectrex as mentioned before is pretty easy to find everything available (unless you count Beagle Bros or the mine storm cart).   The only thing you have to deal with here are some higher prices.  Factoring in the system and 3D glasses, it can get pretty pricey. Especially is you go for boxed items. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 1:16 AM, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Vectrex maybe? I don't know but I once had dreams of having a complete collection, or two (Intellivision & ColecoVision), but flashcarts kind of spoiled me on that. I probably will try for a complete Vectrex collection at some point though, because that's much more feasible. :)

The full UK set is easy enough. Only 18 boxed releases.   I completed that and thought about getting the US releases that us brits didn't get.  That's when the prices got out of my comfort zone, so I haven't bothered. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 10:07 AM, BassGuitari said:

I think that's how collectors generally start out. ?

At least, I did. It sure was a slippery slope! ?

I get what you're saying though. Completing a collection for the sake of having a complete collection doesn't make the games themselves any better.

I get that. My brother and I have a complete Neo Geo MVS collection because we love that system. It started out as just buying what we wanted and could get. Years later we were close enough, and there weren't that many games for the system, so we just finished it out.

The same brother has a complete PC-FX collection. I know he likes that system, but not sure how that came about otherwise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Innit said:

The full UK set is easy enough. Only 18 boxed releases.   I completed that and thought about getting the US releases that us brits didn't get.  That's when the prices got out of my comfort zone, so I haven't bothered. 

I'd especially would love to have a full UK Vectrex set at some point. Bandai games would be cool to collect as well, but that's big money. As far as the US set, I don't think I'd count Mr. Boston though.

Never heard of the Beagle Bros doing anything Vectrex wise though.. I thought they were Apple ][ related. ?

Hopefully the odd fairchild channel f recent price bubble breaks, as it's generally an enjoyable device to buy for. 

I think the collection that is the most enjoyable for collecting and have a better common to rare ratio is the odyssey2/videopac. Most of the library is available all of the time, some games go dirt cheap if you wait, and even the rares will generally have one around. I do admit I don't have powerlords, but as a US only release its not high priority for me, but I am getting close to it being one of the few I don't have.