IGNORED

Best power supply to use with Atari 800?

TapperP

So I recently got an Atari 800 and it came with the original power supply. It looks like the one in the photo below. I was just reading that old power supplies can kill the motherboard if they go bad, so what is a recommended new power supply I can buy for the Atari 800? If you have a store link that would be much appreciated. I really don't want anything bad to happen to this computer!

4f5b66312cda7_216025b.jpg

Edited by TapperP

8 minutes ago, TapperP said:

So I recently got a Atari 800 and it came with the original power supply. It looks like the one in the photo below. I was just reading that old power supplies can kill the motherboard if they go bad, so what is a recommended new power supply I can buy for the Atari 800? If you have a store link that would be much appreciated. I really don't want anything bad to happen to this computer!

4f5b66312cda7_216025b.jpg

The original 9VAC power bricks for the 400/800/1050/1200XL are dead simple transformers - there's not much inside to go wrong, and when they fail, it's either because the fuse inside blew (probably because it was subject to a power surge from house wiring), or because the thing was physically abused and something broke the transformer coil windings. If you have a multimeter, test the PSU and see what the output is. Since it's unregulated, you should get something like 10.5 - 11VAC out of it without a load. That's perfectly fine and expected. 

I have about a dozen of these and all of them are still fine after 35 - 40 years. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TapperP said:

So I recently got a Atari 800 and it came with the original power supply. It looks like the one in the photo below. I was just reading that old power supplies can kill the motherboard if they go bad, so what is a recommended new power supply I can buy for the Atari 800? 

The 800 has a power supply board to convert the 9VAC from the power supply to the 3 DC voltages required by the system, these power supplies are just a transformer and fuse.

It's some versions the 5VDC power supplies used with the 600XL/800XL and XE computers that tend to fail and damage chips.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

The original 9VAC power bricks for the 400/800/1050/1200XL are dead simple transformers - there's not much inside to go wrong, and when they fail, it's either because the fuse inside blew (probably because it was subject to a power surge from house wiring), or because the thing was physically abused and something broke the transformer coil windings. If you have a multimeter, test the PSU and see what the output is. Since it's unregulated, you should get something like 10.5 - 11VAC out of it without a load. That's perfectly fine and expected. 

I have about a dozen of these and all of them are still fine after 35 - 40 years. 

Ah, great to know. Maybe what I was reading was referencing other Atari AC adapters then.

Just now, BillC said:

The 800 has a power supply board to convert the 9VAC from the power supply to the 3 DC voltages required by the system, these power supplies are just a transformer and fuse.

It's some versions the 5VDC power supplies used with the 600XL/800XL and XE computers that tend to fail and damage chips.

Thank you.

Well, then never mind I guess. ?

Edited by TapperP

3 hours ago, Paul Westphal said:

I don't recommend these, they have a limited output current, only ~1.5A. This is about the same a the CO14319 which came with my first 400, the fuse in that power supply blew after I upgraded the 400 with a Mosaic 64K board.

It may work OK with a 400 or 800, but definitely won't supply sufficient current for a 810/1050/XF551 drive, I will only use a CO14319 with an 850 or a stock 400 due to this low current rating.

There were several 9VAC power supplies from Atari, the CO17945(31VA) is the most common.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2020 at 4:03 PM, TapperP said:

I was just reading that old power supplies can kill the motherboard if they go bad,

I am still using mine from my first Atari 800 that my dad bought me when I was 10, and I am 51 now! These are rock solid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavin1968 said:

I am still using mine from my first Atari 800 that my dad bought me when I was 10, and I am 51 now! These are rock solid.

I have only had one go "bad" on me in all these years.   It was used for my disk drive.   I opened it, caution is advised, and replaced the blown fuse.  Used it for another 10 or so years till it finally developed an open Primary winding.  

• 2 years later...

Just bumping this thread save starting a new one. 

Anyone in the UK recommend a decent replacement seller for a power supply for an 800?

I need 2 of them and possibly another for a 1050 drive. I know you can use the same one for both. 

I can get one for £35ish  but it is from an Ebay dealer I've not had much luck with in the past (order not turning up, refund finally gotten, etc etc) - and would rather not line their pockets with my hard earned cash again. :)

Not having much luck sourcing the original in the UK either. 

I've tried Retro lemon but they only do modern 9pin din PSU replacements for the 600/800XL and XE lines. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

I see your problem "Beeb", there are so many people out there that have no idea what an AC power supply is,

Google search is totally useless, 99.999% of searches bring up AC adaptors that are DC power supplies,

I've also seen one that actually say:-

• 9v AC/AC 2000mA Regulated Linear Power Supply

how on earth can it be a Regulated Linear AC power supply.

3 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

@Beeblebrox look what I found :)

https://www.poweradaptorsuk.co.uk/3000ma-3a-9v-27va-acac-mains-power-adaptor-277-p.asp

Looks the business only £8.80 each for 2, don't know what postage is, but looks like an ideal UK supplier.

Thanks matey. 😀I'll check out the polarity of the plug to be doubley sure. :)

6 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Anyone in the UK recommend a decent replacement seller for a power supply for an 800?

I need 2 of them and possibly another for a 1050 drive. I know you can use the same one for both. 

Amazon usually carries some. The last one I bought was branded „Rockpower“ and intended for use with musical equipment (guitar amp?).  It works fine with a U1MB 1200XL. 

You might be lucky with other musical equipment sellers as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Thanks matey. 😀I'll check out the polarity of the plug to be doubley sure. :)

I was going to point you in that direction. Got one myself and my mate bought a couple for his 1050s must have been using them for at least 4 years with no issues 

• Thanks 1

I use the PSU from an Atari 810 FDD on my 400. Same power supply but heavier duty. If memory serves (which doesn't always happen), it is a 50w power supply as opposed to the original 18w unit that came with the 400 & 800 back in the day. Best Electronics and B&C Computervisions (myatari on ebay) have them NOS.

20 minutes ago, Muzz73 said:

I use the PSU from an Atari 810 FDD on my 400. Same power supply but heavier duty. If memory serves (which doesn't always happen), it is a 50w power supply as opposed to the original 18w unit that came with the 400 & 800 back in the day. Best Electronics and B&C Computervisions (myatari on ebay) have them NOS.

Thanks. One of the things I did when I was first trying to source a PSU was look at 810s on Ebay UK. (I thought maybe there would be a broken/untested one I could use the PSU from.)

As I say I've ordered the ones above from Poweradapters UK on price, personal recommendation and of course because I am UK based. Should arrive tmrw, (paid extra for UPS because of the UK postal strikes we are having).

Thanks for all the suggestions people. :)

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 4:26 PM, Beeblebrox said:

thanks all. I am going for these based on cost and also @mimo's personal recommendation. 

Thanks @TGB1718 for the link

https://www.poweradaptorsuk.co.uk/3000ma-3a-9v-27va-acac-mains-power-adaptor-277-p.asp

3000ma-3a-9v-27va-ac-ac-mains-power-adaptor-277-p.jpg

You may need to drill out or change the plug for 2.5mm as it is fitted with a 2.1mm plug according to the specs.

Jack - 2.1 x 5.5mm Female
CE marked and approved

• Like 1