IGNORED

Can't upgrade SIDE2 cartridge

JGroth

Hi, I'm trying to update my SIDE2 cartridge to the latest version of firmware and SDX but I have no success.

I've mounted side2_full_oss_carts.atr on D1: (RespeQT 5.2) and started uflash.xex. I press enter on the chip entry (top entry) and I get the dialogue where you are supposed to select the ROM file but the entire machine hangs and a power cycle is required.

I'm following FJC's video tutorial how to do this (I also have a U1MB installed and configured according to FJC's instructions).

The SIDE2 boot screen looks a bit odd though:

Ultimate clock installed

SIDE Driver v1.0 (c) 2011, FJC

SanDisk SDCFB-256

Drives(s): C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J

SpartaDOS X 4.46a 4-02-2013

Copyright (C) 2013 by FTE & DLT

The CF card was partitioned and formatted with another SIDE2 which I could upgrade to the latest firmware.

I've tested the SIDE2 cartridge on both a 800XL and 600XL with exactly the same behaviour.

My setup is:

600XL

64KiB RAM (Lotharek Lair's version)

U1MB (upgraded to F/W 3.1 and SDX 4.49)

VBXL

SIDE2 (Can't upgrade and boot message displays what looks like a very old version of firmware and SDX)

SanDisk 256MB CF card

800XL

U1MB (upgraded to F/W 3.1 and SDX 4.49)

VBXL

SIDE2 (Upgrade worked just fine)

SanDisk 256MB CF card

So basically the machines are identical part from the SIDE2 cartridge. Just to check that my upgrades to 600XL isn't at fault I tried to upgrade the SIDE2 in the 800XL but with the same result, UFLASH.XEX hangs when you are supposed to get to choose ROM file.

I've also put in the 800XL SIDE2 cartridge in the 600XL and UFLASH.XEX lists the ROM files just fine.

So my question is, I guess, how do I upgrade a SIDE2 cartridge that has firmware from 2011?

Regards,

JGroth

SIDE2.COM seems to have worked. What I don't understand is that I could upgrade another SIDE2 with UFLASH on a 800XL without any problems. UFLASH freezes both the 600XL and the 800XL with the new cartridge. The U1MB is configured to use RAMBO (1088KB) memory.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, KBesig said:

Hangs on the Rom selection screen.

I actually encountered the same issue when updating a stand-alone SIDE2 the other day. The SDX SIDE.SYS driver supplied on the non-FJC firmware device driver in use was NINE YEARS OLD, however (version 1.0), so I was hardly surprised:

IMG_20200726_134146968.thumb.jpg.427d3a26086542d4ebfc969e6517ffdf.jpg

The SDX build is seven years old, meanwhile. I don't observe any issues once SDX and the driver are up to date, and my workaround was also simply to use the SIDE2.COM flasher which I also provide on the firmware ATR.

• 6 months later...

If anyone stumbles across this thread, having the same issue as me -

I had the SDX cartridge plugged in with Compact Flash card inserted, Side2 presenting D1: as the compact flash card,  and a 720K D2: drive with side2_full.atr

No, remove the Compact Flash card.  Set the 720K drive (I have an xf551 3.5" but sio2sd or whatever) to be D1:.  Then it worked.