IGNORED

New season starts Sunday, June 28!

At long last, let's get this show on the road!

The basic setup, standings calculation, etc. of the competition will be mostly the same as last season, but with the following changes:

- each player's lowest 3 percentage scores will no longer be excluded from their average

- instead, there will be (2) "redemption rounds" - one after round #5 and one after round #9 - where players can submit improved scores on games already played, or games they missed.  Two "improved" scores per redemption round per player will be allowed

The pool of games submitted so far is pasted at the bottom of this post.  If you suggested a game and it isn't shown in this list, it's probably because it does not meet the provided submission guidelines (i.e., it uses a special controller, lacks a proper scoring system, etc.) 

If you have not used up your 5 selections, feel free to submit more until you have, but as of now, new/different submissions will not be accepted from anybody who has already submitted 5 picks.  

Once again, Sunday June 28th is go-time; see y'all then.  

CYN

Name

Selected By

Venture

AtariWarlord

Astroblaster

AtariWarlord

Colony 7

AtariWarlord

Joust

AtariWarlord

Time Pilot

AtariWarlord

Eggs

Cynicaster

Gigawing

Cynicaster

Donkey Kong

Cynicaster

Popeye

Cynicaster

Rush'N Attack

Cynicaster

Twin Cobra

Floyd Turbo

Star Force

Floyd Turbo

S.S. Mission

Floyd Turbo

Jackal

Floyd Turbo

Wonder Boy

Floyd Turbo

Renegade

hero2billions

Captain America and the Avengers

hero2billions

Moonwalker

hero2billions

Quartet

hero2billions

Tumblepop

hero2billions

King & Balloon

Jaden (JRH)

Toypop

Jaden (JRH)

DoDonPachi

MAME Offender

Defender

MAME Offender

Eyes

MAME Offender

Bomb Jack

MAME Offender

Black Widow

MAME Offender

Eliminator

Mangia-Boy

Rescue

Ramses

R-Type Leo

roadrunner

Toki

roadrunner

Vulgus

roadrunner

Rainbow Islands

S.BAZ

Qix

S.BAZ

Rod Land

S.BAZ

Star Castle

S.BAZ

Alien vs Predator

youxia

Bubble Bobble

youxia

Armed Police Batrider

youxia

Boogie Wings

youxia

• Like 1

I cringed when I saw Qix.  I have the hardest time with that game.  

hero2billions, I found this site that is actually still hosting MAME Rom downloads.  https://www.retrostic.com/roms/mame  They seem to be mostly American Roms, but at least you can familiarize yourself with the games.  Hopefully they work with the version of MAME you are running.  I use an old MAME 0.122 and if you need all the Roms for that, I'm sure I can set up a Dropbox, or something and get them to you.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Floyd Turbo said:

I cringed when I saw Qix.  I have the hardest time with that game.  

hero2billions, I found this site that is actually still hosting MAME Rom downloads.  https://www.retrostic.com/roms/mame  They seem to be mostly American Roms, but at least you can familiarize yourself with the games.  Hopefully they work with the version of MAME you are running.  I use an old MAME 0.122 and if you need all the Roms for that, I'm sure I can set up a Dropbox, or something and get them to you.  

The Internet Arcade on archive.org is also a good source for familiarizing yourself with some of the games on this list. https://archive.org/details/internetarcade

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:31 PM, solidus said:

Hey all, not sure if this was mentioned anywhere... but is using FBneo via retroarch OK for this? I tend to play all my arcade games with that and use MAME for special cases

I'm not familiar with that emulator, but I'd have no reason to exclude it unless you were unable to adjust the DIPs to the correct settings for the games we play.  Can that be done with FBneo? 

18 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

I'm not familiar with that emulator, but I'd have no reason to exclude it unless you were unable to adjust the DIPs to the correct settings for the games we play.  Can that be done with FBneo? 

Yep you can modify them. This is the emu in case youre interested. https://retropie.org.uk/docs/FinalBurn-Neo/

Its a fork of Finalburn Alpha. Its considered to be more accurate than MAME for many games especially neogeo.. so I tend to use it alot.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 3:16 PM, Razzie.P said:

I think I came in right after you guys started this round, so is it too late to submit games for the pool?   If it's not too late, do I post them here, or PM someone with the titles?

Thanks! 

Not too late.  The only thing I ask is that people don't change their submissions after the competition starts, but if you haven't sent any in yet then feel free at any time and I'll add them.  You can post them in this thread.  Before submitting a game please review the eligibility guidelines.  

In general, the criteria for accepting a suggestion are as follows:

- the game is emulated reasonably well in the "official" MAME version of this competition (v139).  It's very unlikely that this rule will affect anything.

- the game plays properly in a single-player mode

- the game has a scoring system that can be used to compare performance among participants

- the game can be played more or less as originally intended using nothing more than a single joystick and/or buttons.  To illustrate what "more or less as originally intended" means: we can play a game like Satan's Hollow or Gorf with generic sticks and buttons even though the original joysticks are physically quite different from generic ones, but games that originally used trackballs, spinners, steering wheels, analog flight sticks, yokes, etc. are not eligible, even though MAME provides ways of faking these games with joysticks

- the game was not played in the latest season

Edited by Cynicaster

• 1 month later...