IGNORED

TI-99 CNC machined aluminum signs

Crazy Climber

Hey everyone! How's it going? During my absence I received several PM's for my TI99 aluminum signs (more than any other sign!) so I made a quick small batch if anyone needs one. I had to use the materials I had on hand so they are Bright Silver metallic flake with a deep red (our shop moved so I don't have access to the abundance of materials I used to) I think they turned out pretty cool looking :)

These signs are made from 100% aluminum composite material. It is crazy expensive (like $6-$10 a square foot!!) but I get the materials at a discounted price as they are leftovers from construction jobs I have machined the parts for. They are industrial grade building materials that are professionally painted the same quality an automobile is painted at the factory. They are then CNC machined by yours truly. They are fully weather treated and can withstand the harshest climates (I've had several hanging outside for 10+ years now in severe MN weather with zero problems, they still look new) They are around 9 inches squared in size.

It's not a big money making operation, if I calculated what I made on them (which I purposely do not lol) it would probably be around $5 an hour or so. I just do it for fun and bragging rights. I was at a classic gaming show once and someone I've never met before said "hey, that's the guy that makes the cool signs" I couldn't stop smiling... :)

Price is $15 for the sign plus $8 shipping (flat rate, these are heavy duty signs) priority with tracking and insurance.

Let me know if you need one! I made like 5 or so, could probably even make a few more if demand is there. Thanks everyone!  

20200622_174627.jpg

20200622_174634.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

I can attest these signs are pretty cool.  Here is an example of mine next to some cartridges so you can get an idea of the scale.

TI-Sign.thumb.jpg.03d88903f778dce5b34b01cd04b93fff.jpg

How's it going Omega?? Hey, do you still have that pic of the sign that shows your entire set up? (TI-99, Desk, controller,etc) Man that was a great photo...

4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Dude... is that your garage?!

hahaha, yeah... You should have seen it before I started peeling the signs off. I hung so many on it the door wouldn't open anymore so I've been slowly removing them :) I really should have took a picture...

• Like 1

Are you able to scale the logo to a different size very easily?

The reason I ask, I would like to get something that would fit over where the keyboard would lay on a black/silver TI consoled.  Right now, I have an approximate 1/4" thick piece of hard polymer type plastic cut to lay over that area for one of my units.  The tricky part is that where it would lay, it needs about a 3/4" underside width slope to a thinner edge as it approached the keyboard so it would lay flush with the edges versus the top side where the numbers would be.

I've done some grinding with a wide Dremel tool to have it lie better, but seeing your setup would be really neat.  I removed the keyboard and installed a USB keyboard setup after the cable and connector started breaking wires.

My intent with the polymer type plastic was to eventually grind it down appropriately and add some vent holes and bolt a 5V or 12V 2" fan on the underneath side to assist with cooling on the right side of where the keyboard would be.

Beery

• Like 1

I would think that using a wooden dummy, followed by molding with silicone, and producing a resin-cast part would be the easier option... 

(I started work on getting a resin-cast setup for making PEB fronts going, but all the sanding needed with the 3D printed front dummy was making a terrible mess, and taking forever. It got sidelined as a backburner project... Then COVID hit, and I have not been to the store for more sand-able primer. If you have nice carving wood laying around, it would be an ideal medium to use to make the initial part; Inexpensive, easily carved and sanded, and easily molded.  I was intending to use raw polystyrene resin (automotive/marine grade fiberglass resin, without the fiberglass), with a filler (Diatomaceous earth) and a colorant (Toner powder, which is already polystyrene, and thus chemically compatible with the resin). I even purchased some re-usable mold building material for the project. I intended to make a small run of about a dozen replacement PEB fronts that way. Using the polystyrene resin would give me a hard, shiny front surface on which I could then apply silvering solution with hairspray bottles (Silver nitrate solution in bottle A, and Ammonia + Dextrose solution in bottle B), which would allow me to give a literal mirror finish silvered surface in areas I wanted to silver, then complete the operation with automotive clearcoat.)

Sadly, too many projects, not enough time, not enough sleep, too much covid. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

How's it going Omega?? Hey, do you still have that pic of the sign that shows your entire set up? (TI-99, Desk, controller,etc) Man that was a great photo...

Things are going great!  Yup still have the photo, it's right here....

ti.jpg

I still have the Ω sign you made for me on the wall too!

gallery_35324_1027_57323.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Hey everyone! How's it going? During my absence I received several PM's for my TI99 aluminum signs (more than any other sign!) so I made a quick small batch if anyone needs one. I had to use the materials I had on hand so they are Bright Silver metallic flake with a deep red (our shop moved so I don't have access to the abundance of materials I used to) I think they turned out pretty cool looking :)

PM Sent!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

PM SENT

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Still guards my office.

DSC00056.JPG

DUDE!! Now that brings me back!

17 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Are you able to scale the logo to a different size very easily?

Somewhat, I don't have a laser or plasma cutter (just a CNC router) so I have to use, at a minimum,1/8" graphite bits. This makes "small stuff" not as possible since I need at least 1/8th inch in between every cut/etc...

17 hours ago, patrickmcmichael said:

I'd love to get one of those! 

Send me a PM man! :)

16 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Things are going great!  Yup still have the photo, it's right here....

ti.jpg

I still have the Ω sign you made for me on the wall too!

gallery_35324_1027_57323.jpg

You can't see it, but I'm doing my O face right now ;) Man that set up looks great! Ha! I almost forgot about the mirror Omega sign!! Nice :)

15 hours ago, peterfleeman said:

I bought 2 of them a couple years ago and they are excellent quality.  Honestly, for the price, I am shocked at how durable and well made they are.  Thank you!

No,thank YOU man!! :)

11 hours ago, Rev said:

Intv Brotherhood for life!

Dude! REV!! Whats up man!! I'm going to stop by and visit soon :) INTV brotherhood baby!

20200614_161948.jpg

Edited by Crazy Climber
spellcheck
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Airshack said:

Because you're the authority on cool? lol

THE.  Now, I will say I got two TI logos and a Commodore logo from CC.  One black TI logo on mirrored backing, and one red on a flat backing.  VERY nice, indeed.  I have a couple more easy design ideas to toss at him in the next week or so.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...