IGNORED

Robot Tag

Karl G

This is a quickly put-together game that I made as a break from my main WIP. It's a 2-player tag game. A tag game had been on my mind for a while, and seeing @Omegamatrix create a tag minigame as part of his Crazy Tunes collection inspired me to try my hand at my own version of tag.

robottag.bas_1.thumb.png.d606b5694498ccde1a84523570e66abc.png

As with the standard game of tag, the player who is "it" chases the other player. If the robot who is it "it" tags (collides with) the other robot, the tagged robot becomes "it", and both robots return to spawn points. The robot who is "it" and their score is more brightly-colored, and an "it marker" pixel appears above their score.

Scoring: Robots score points for time spent not being "it", and the game ends when one of the robots reaches 15 points.

Turbo: Players may press the button to enable turbo mode for their robot to catch or run away from the other robot more quickly. Turbo mode causes the robot to heat up, so watch the heat indicator above the score. The length of the heat indicator shows how much the robot has heated, and the color is another indicator (green is safe, yellow is warning, and red is close to overheating). The robot may only cool down if it is not moving.

Overheating: If the robot uses turbo for too long without cooling down, they may overheat. Overheating robots are immobile for a couple of seconds until they cool down.

Version 2:

Same as v1, but restarts with fire button press.

robottag-v2.bin

robottag-src-v2.zip

• Like 7

We'll be checking out Robot Tag on tomorrow's (Tue Jun 30 <- NEW DAY) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

After playing with it for a bit, I'm not sure if the concept works very well.  Maybe with some defined playfields instead of the randomly-generated ones I do now?

Anyway, I've added version 2, which just adds a restart on joystick button fire feature to reduce the annoyance for @ZeroPage Homebrew on the show.  ? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

After playing with it for a bit, I'm not sure if the concept works very well.  Maybe with some defined playfields instead of the randomly-generated ones I do now?

Anyway, I've added version 2, which just adds a restart on joystick button fire feature to reduce the annoyance for @ZeroPage Homebrew on the show.  ? 

You don't want me to groan and curse your name every time I reset the game? Hahah

Thanks for the update!

- James

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Philsan said:

That game reminds me Intellivision's awesome Swords and Serpents.

Twelve years ago (!) we talked on AtariAge about a 2600 conversion.

Perhaps impossible at the time, more doable nowadays with DPC+.

That looks at least 100 times more complex than Robot Tag, but it does look like a cool game for someone to port.