IGNORED

worst third party controller

masschamber

Worst third party controller  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which 3rd party controller do you think is the worst?

• The faster blaster
    • Gemstick
    • slick stick
    • le stick
    • quickshot
    • other

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Slik Stik is my favorite controller of all time; don't know how it could be on ANYONE's worst list...

If you don't know why, take it apart and marvel at its simplicity. It is SO EASY to clean the contact points to restore functionality. A metal ball extends down from the joystick and makes contact with the four directional metal tabs. It really is that simple. 

• Like 3

The mindlink? (unreleased, I know, but, apparently, for good reason).

BTW, the Faster Blaster look like it could be a forerunner of the dpad, although, the contacts are woefully out of order.

Edited by Swami

22 hours ago, Video said:

Faster blaster? Never heard of that one, but looks like it would be good for asteroids or something. I couldn't see playing much other than that with it.

Most the rest I've got, and even consider some better than the Atari originals.

it is incredibly unresponsive and uncomfortable

There were too many generic, junky, forgettable 3rd-party joysticks to count.

I'd nominate anything that--on top of being of poor build quality--had a high stick, long throw, and small base, like the Discwasher Pointmaster,  or this stupid thing:

s-l400.jpg

Additionally, as much as I like it--the Zircon Video Command is just about worthless with any game that simultaneously demands accurate joystick manipulation and rapid presses of the fire button, such as Defender, Starmaster, or basically any game made after 1981. (It's serviceable enough for the early crop of Atari games, which tracks since it's just a Channel F controller rewired for Atari).

Slik Stik?! GTFO ?

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 3

On 6/24/2020 at 11:09 PM, 0078265317 said:

tac 2

Good god, there's one right beside my bed on the floor for some reason. And I don't even have a game system nearby! In any case, I can't say that I hate them: they're solidly built and much nicer to hold than the CX40. For that matter, I also had a quickshot in the '80s, and really liked it, especially when I grounded it on a flat surface. 

My vote is for the Epyx 500XJ. God did I hate that thing when I had it, and never could hold it comfortably in my paws.

9 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Good god, there's one right beside my bed on the floor for some reason. And I don't even have a game system nearby! In any case, I can't say that I hate them: they're solidly built and much nicer to hold than the CX40. For that matter, I also had a quickshot in the '80s, and really liked it, especially when I grounded it on a flat surface. 

My vote is for the Epyx 500XJ. God did I hate that thing when I had it, and never could hold it comfortably in my paws.

My epyx is fine except the clicking sound.  The 2 button tac 2 I have the stick part hardly moves.  I opened her up.  Looks clean.  Nothing broken.

I only used a couple of third party controllers,   but there is one that I thought was pretty common but don't see on the list.   I forget the name.  It had a base roughly the size of the standard Atari joystick.   It had a handle/flight stick style joystick that was pretty tall, and the button was on top at the angle.

Might have been Wico, but not sure.

Also tried my friend's Amiga "Joyboard" and wasn't particularly impressed.

The TAC-2 and the Slik Stik are great controllers. Well-made, responsive, nice short throws.

I've never liked the Wicos. They're too mushy. Same for The Boss. We had a TAC-3 when I was a kid and it was so stiff that I could barely move it. But my nomination for worst third party joystick goes to this thing:

s-l300.jpg.a0aa122f17087144249e4de762d030ff.jpg

You can't see the fire buttons because they're on the edge of the base, kind of like the L and R buttons on a SNES pad. I have no idea how the $#%& I'm supposed to hold this thing in any useful way.

41 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

I've never liked the Wicos. They're too mushy. Same for The Boss. We had a TAC-3 when I was a kid and it was so stiff that I could barely move it. 

Wow...even the Red Balls? Never had a problem with them in the '80s, and still love 'em (and use them) now. They're my #1 all-time pick for a joystick, even if there is a slight tendency (at times) to pinch your hand at the part where the stick meets the base.

These have their fans, but I consider them among the worst I've ever owned. Besides the continual and obnoxious clicky sounds, the stick is waaay too loose to be accurate (Epyx is worse since it also spins), especially for the games which require precision. Then there's the ergonomics (ironic as a main selling point), which causes cramping and fatigue before long. 

901D6548-4E29-4B91-B78C-D43FA0B39D8B.jpeg

5457991C-26E9-47C0-BA16-4221EA4562A3.jpeg

Those Epyx xj are definitely hand cramping to say the least never cared for those that flight grip stick pictured above with almost no bass is also awful. Definitely generic junk. As far as most uncomfortable I also have to say that gray and black Wico controller with the flight grip in the fire button on the top of the joystick is pretty brutal to use especially since the stick spins. Le Stick is a really great idea and a lot of fun to mess around with but is totally useless otherwise.

On 6/26/2020 at 4:03 PM, save2600 said:

These have their fans, but I consider them among the worst I've ever owned. Besides the continual and obnoxious clicky sounds, the stick is waaay too loose to be accurate (Epyx is worse since it also spins), especially for the games which require precision. Then there's the ergonomics (ironic as a main selling point), which causes cramping and fatigue before long. 

901D6548-4E29-4B91-B78C-D43FA0B39D8B.jpeg

5457991C-26E9-47C0-BA16-4221EA4562A3.jpeg

I know this stick seems to polarize folks. Personally it’s my favorite stick.  I love the clickiness. I’ve used them for years. 

• Like 1