IGNORED

NEXT Season info

B17 Bomber and Bomb Squad have scoring, although I've always ignored the score playing them as well as in Space Spartans.  Tron Solar Sailer has scoring but I haven't played it much.

I don't think you necessarily need scoring for HSC.  For example I think Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and Sub Hunt might be good games for HSC although there's no high score.

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

B17 Bomber and Bomb Squad have scoring, although I've always ignored the score playing them as well as in Space Spartans.  Tron Solar Sailer has scoring but I haven't played it much.

I don't think you necessarily need scoring for HSC.  For example I think Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and Sub Hunt might be good games for HSC although there's no high score.

I don’t know how you would have a game in the HSC that doesn’t have a high score. 

You can make a score.  For example if you win AD&D level 3 with 2 men left your score is 3-2.  We can have a tie breaker if there's a first place tie with perfect scores.  Not sure how many can consistently do a perfect game but if there's too many who can it might not work out.  In Sub Hunt if you win level five with one sub remaining sinking 36 ships, your score is 5-1-36

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mr_me said:

You can make a score.  For example if you win AD&D level 3 with 2 men left your score is 3-2.  We can have a tie breaker if there's a first place tie with perfect scores.  Not sure how many can consistently do a perfect game but if there's too many who can it might not work out.  In Sub Hunt if you win level five with one sub remaining sinking 36 ships, your score is 5-1-36

I see. That could be cool. And I love both games so it would be fun. 

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

I’m on board for this sort of scoring concept... the games are awesome.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:20 PM, mr_me said:

In the 1982 Astrosmash Shootoff competition; the finals in Houston were played with a timed 60 minute game.  I don't know if the rom file I have is an image of the cartridge used there or a more recent hack; but it works.  When you get your Raspberry Pi flashback you can add this version in there.  If you have a flash memory cartridge you can play it on a real intellivision. 

You can see some of the scores people got at the 1982 Houston finals here.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/301631-astrosmash-shootoff-details-1982/

That's a good thread there... ?

Agreed that timed Astrosmash is the way to go, but not workable for HSC due to folks who only play on original HW and not reasonable to expect them to track down a copy. 

That said, I'd be down for including Astrosmash again in the HSC. If we can survive Space Hawk and The Game That Shall Not Be Named, we can handle anything ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, BiffMan said:

Agreed that timed Astrosmash is the way to go, but not workable for HSC due to folks who only play on original HW and not reasonable to expect them to track down a copy. 

That said, I'd be down for including Astrosmash again in the HSC. If we can survive Space Hawk and The Game That Shall Not Be Named, we can handle anything ?

Lol can we name it or atleast 'hint' at what it is so us N00B's can figure it out? ?

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting

2 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Lol can we name it or atleast 'hint' at what it is so us N00B's can figure it out? ?

Pretty sure Jacob wouldn't be sadistic enough for a repeat performance and I shall not utter its name here, but...  

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, BiffMan said:

I don't even know if such an astrosmash cartridge exists.  For all I know they just used a stopwatch in Houston 1982.  And if it does exist, a flash cartridge would be cheaper anyway.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I don't even know if such an astrosmash cartridge exists.  For all I know they just used a stopwatch in Houston 1982.

I think it'd be cool to just play it out. No stopwatch or set time. It's only for two weeks. It'd be fun to see some high scores. ?

39 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I don't even know if such an astrosmash cartridge exists.  For all I know they just used a stopwatch in Houston 1982.  And if it does exist, a flash cartridge would be cheaper anyway.

They used such a cartridge in the VideoChallenge competitions I participated in and I have it in ROM form as "Astrosmash Competition.bin".  It lets you chose a time from 1-99 minutes and will end the game at that time and give your high score.  Regardless, wouldn't be fair to those not playing on emulation since I imagine it's difficult/expensive to track down one of the actual cartridges used in the competitions.

image.thumb.png.677cdcba3ad0e7eb4283b69a8fd40801.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickster8 said:

I think it'd be cool to just play it out. No stopwatch or set time. It's only for two weeks. It'd be fun to see some high scores. ?

Agreed, I find it to be fun to play up to 1 mil, which I believe is where the difficulty plateaus.  While BITD, I could play indefinitely at that point, nowadays I do slowly lose lives at that point, so for me it would be a long but not infinite game.  Besides, I'd love to see someone post a "max" 32 million score again just for nostalgia purposes.  :)

• Like 1

Here's a screenshot of a 1 minute run, you can see the timer in the lower right next to the multiplier.  It even counts down by seconds when you're under 1 min.  

It's a pity we couldn't do the competition cart as a HSC game, because while Astrosmash is an excellent game, it is an *exceptional* timed game.  Whole different world of risk/reward when you have to drive that multiplier up as quickly as possible.

For those with emulation, the competition rom is available over at http://www.intellivision.us/ in their ROMs section.  If you've never tried it out before in timed mode, I highly recommend it, it's a blast!  10 minutes is a nice frantic pace, but 30 minutes is my preferred go-to.

image.thumb.png.372ec8eea2ed174db07a504b73ef1bdc.png

Edited by BiffMan
Added link to Intellivision.US
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Since we’re throwing out suggestions, how about Shark Shark?

Jacob said last week his game list is complete and he's just working on testing settings.  We're just being goofs and chatting about possible games until Jacob starts the season.  We figure the more annoying we are, the sooner he'll start it. 

Speaking of annoying, here's my latest 1 minute timed Astrosmash high score...  ?

Astrosmash 1 minute.jpg

• Haha 3

Some ideas for scoring:

1. Astrosmash

a. Sum of peak scores from 10 1-minute games?

b. Peak score after 30 minutes?

c. Ignore score completely.  Most lives after one hour?  ;)

2. AD&D Cloudy Mountain

Sum of:

a. Grey mountain +10 points, Red mountain +15 points, Blue mountain +20 points, Purple mountain +25 points

b. +10 points for each life remaining after getting the crown

c. +1 point for each arrow

d. -1 point for each minute it took you to win

That should induce enough randomness to the "scores" to get some variation and competition.

No idea how you would score B-17 bomber.  I remember flying around for hours after completely bombing everything on the map wondering if there was a goal or if it was possible to lose.  ;)

21 minutes ago, gar0u said:

No idea how you would score B-17 bomber.  I remember flying around for hours after completely bombing everything on the map wondering if there was a goal or if it was possible to lose. 

Try playing a skill level other than practice mode.  B17 Bomber has it's own scoring, although I never paid attention to the score.

• Like 1

If the earth explodes you lost and get zero points.  If the Death Star explodes you won and get a score.  Again I've always ignored the score playing Star Strike so don't know how well it might work for hsc.  I'd be happy to try any of these games in the next hsc.

10 hours ago, mr_me said:

If the earth explodes you lost and get zero points.  If the Death Star explodes you won and get a score.  Again I've always ignored the score playing Star Strike so don't know how well it might work for hsc.  I'd be happy to try any of these games in the next hsc.

Well I think in that game the faster you can bomb the targets the higher your score. You also get points for shooting the enemy ships, but it can force you to leave bombing position. The key would probably be liberal use of the warp speed function.