IGNORED

Atari ST 30MB Supra Drive

IMG_20200622_154159970_2.thumb.jpg.0d5a2fdc57b6a62b648ab950c025c4f7.jpgIMG_20200623_110837320.thumb.jpg.e62d3f4c64f4964cd0d08580990c085a.jpgIMG_20200623_110737891.thumb.jpg.1d4b35058fc14432c020ebe0cca5c00f.jpg

Afternoon all...

so i recently found and decided to hook up my old supradrive to my atari st to look at some old files on there (i`m a working musician and used the ST extensively during the 80`s / 90`s... upon power up i heard a bit of a "crack" from within the casing !!!! ... so i opened her up and a couple of chips on what looks like the controller board were fried ... a quick look on the web meant that i could source the affected chips still and relatively cheaply (hurrah!) ...BUT..... 

one of the affected chips seems to be a custom programmed EPROM.. and i was wondering if anyone has or knows where to get the file i need to re-burn the new chip as my drive is useless without it .... alternatively can anyone suggest an alternate housing i could source so i can swap the actual HD over ...

see piccy`s for the lowdown ...

affected chips are 

74HCT240N X 1 Easily available

S7407N       X 1    "          "

PAL16L8ANC X 1   "          "       CUSTOM EPROM..

Thanks for any advice / help offered..

steve

Edited by stephenellis2000

My guess is the Power Supply went faulty if so many chips have been damaged, I would also suspect even

the ones not displaying any damage may also be "fried".

Before you go any further I would unplug the PSU and check the 5V and 12V levels (I think older drives had 12V)

On my ST's I use an ICD interface in a standard hard disk case from "way back", it had an internal PSU, but no controller,

so I fitted the ICD interface into it, its a verysmall board, and it works fine.

Just a thought, this is the 8 Bit Forum, you may get more help from local people if you post this on the ST forum.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

My guess is the Power Supply went faulty if so many chips have been damaged, I would also suspect even

the ones not displaying any damage may also be "fried".

Before you go any further I would unplug the PSU and check the 5V and 12V levels (I think older drives had 12V)

On my ST's I use an ICD interface in a standard hard disk case from "way back", it had an internal PSU, but no controller,

so I fitted the ICD interface into it, its a verysmall board, and it works fine.

Just a thought, this is the 8 Bit Forum, you may get more help from local people if you post this on the ST forum.

Yeah ... thought that also about the PSU ... I`ve ran a capacitance tester all over it and it comes back "normal" also the old multimeter on the resistors etc ... but i hear what your saying ... i have a bench power supply so i`ll hook that up and see whats being output ... i`m interested in your solution but to be honest most of what i do is now in the P.C. domain and thus going back to the atari stuff is like being a time traveller !! ... just as a matter of interest do you know if these old caddy`s /ICD Interfaces are freely available ??..

thanks

for your time/reply 

steve

On 6/25/2020 at 4:14 AM, TGB1718 said:

AFAIK only 2.5" HDD don't use +12V, and all SCSI HDDs are older technology since SCSI was replaced by SAS in 2004.