IGNORED

ST Supradrive 30mb gone bad !! Help !!

IMG_20200622_154159970_2.thumb.jpg.0d5a2fdc57b6a62b648ab950c025c4f7.jpgIMG_20200623_110837320.thumb.jpg.e62d3f4c64f4964cd0d08580990c085a.jpgIMG_20200623_110737891.thumb.jpg.1d4b35058fc14432c020ebe0cca5c00f.jpg

Afternoon all...

so i recently found and decided to hook up my old supradrive to my atari st to look at some old files on there (i`m a working musician and used the ST extensively during the 80`s / 90`s... upon power up i heard a bit of a "crack" from within the casing !!!! ... so i opened her up and a couple of chips on what looks like the controller board were fried ... a quick look on the web meant that i could source the affected chips still and relatively cheaply (hurrah!) ...BUT..... 

one of the affected chips seems to be a custom programmed EPROM.. and i was wondering if anyone has or knows where to get the file i need to re-burn the new chip as my drive is useless without it .... alternatively can anyone suggest an alternate housing i could source so i can swap the actual HD over ...

see piccy`s for the lowdown ...

affected chips are 

74HCT240N X 1 Easily available

S7407N       X 1    "          "

PAL16L8ANC X 1   "          "       CUSTOM EPROM..

Thanks for any advice / help offered..

steve

From your initial post in the 8 bit section, look on Ebay for SCSI Hard Disk Enclosures, it was one of these I used

by removing the SCSI interface and fitting an ICD interface inside and also fitted a 300MB SCSI Hard Drive, been running

with no problems since 1986.

4 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

From your initial post in the 8 bit section, look on Ebay for SCSI Hard Disk Enclosures, it was one of these I used

by removing the SCSI interface and fitting an ICD interface inside and also fitted a 300MB SCSI Hard Drive, been running

with no problems since 1986.

ok thanks i`m on it !! may need help with the interface side of things also but i`ll cross that bridge when i get to it ...

thanks alot

cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

The case looks alright, but needs the internal ribbon cable with the 50 pin IDC on the inside and two 50 pin Centronics on the outside.

The ICD interface can be hard to find.  I found these awhile back but have never used one before.  With this unit you might be able to forgo the above cable and make one that works with this unit and that case.

https://shop.inventronik.de/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product&id_lang=2