IGNORED

14-Day Quarantine Rule for a Desert?

gilsaluki

Non partisan note: Governors do not and cannot make laws, that is the job of a state's legislators (congress and senate), (otherwise known as 'lawmakers'.)

Back to Atari. Nice picture. Here's another request for a picture file(s).

I wonder what you could do with this:

https://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n5/painter.html

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Being someone getting treatment for cancer and having an artificially reduced immune system, I appreciate people who wear masks in concern for other people's health.  

As far as I'm concerned, let the ones that don't want to wear masks and self-isolate do as they wish.  They'll either get Covid19 and add to herd immunity or they'll die off and reduce the ambient stupidity.

If someone is so inconsiderate of my health that they spew airborne virus in my direction I hope they won't mind if I send airborne lead in theirs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

No he actually didn't, I thought that was the case.... but... turns out that's not what he said... like others I 'heard' or was told he said it... then I watched the actual video of him talking about it... funny thing though... two companies are indeed in trials of intravenously administered disinfectants with promising results... so even if he had said it full stop... damned if this fellow isn't correct again...

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.  But who knows after what they've been pumping through my bloodstream recently a little Mr. Clean might be a breeze.

as I said, I appreciate it. You and I have talked previously. We both have similar issues but of a different type. I am however saddened that you are still having to fight it, I'd hoped you had beaten it by now. Thanks for the Mr. Clean comment, it gave me quite a smile, and a giggle.

You are correct though, the stuff used to fight your cancer is down right nasty and we are death defying in that it's coursing through your body... and still you stand.

So glad to hear from you again.

I just cleaned up a bunch of political posts related to COVID-19.  Similar posts have gotten several other threads locked, and if that experience is any indication, I think it would be better if we avoided the subject altogether.  Too many of us are not yet in a place where we can rationally discuss it directly, and I don't want it to derail this thread (or any others) any further.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

I just cleaned up a bunch of political posts related to COVID-19.  Similar posts have gotten several other threads locked, and if that experience is any indication, I think it would be better if we avoided the subject altogether.  Too many of us are not yet in a place where we can rationally discuss it directly, and I don't want it to derail this thread (or any others) any further.

It's OK. This may be too much for the sheep to swallow at this time, but, history will prove me correct.

Sorry for the de-rail.

• Like 2

I'm just concerned that directly quoting from medical journals is somehow political, 99 percent of the post being pure measurement and fact and a begrudging consolation or tip of the hat to a public figure at the end and that's what we chose to delete.

I'd think people would be better able to handle the situation if they fully understood the mechanisms at play and were able to protect themselves accordingly. It was directly on topic in regard to 14 day quarantine rules in that fresh air and ultraviolet light is not in dispute as good for the lungs and a killer of the virus. The size and vectors of transmission are very relevant. I suggest a person check or actually read before they delete something, rather than taking someones word for it. I mean it's not like any people we know are working this problem every single day....(did you catch the sarcasm)

Thanks for deleting the hard work of Universities and medical professionals. They were apolitical. But I guess it didn't fit what folks want to hear. I still suggest a better mask for folks with cancer... I don't think letting a person wear an inadequate mask is very useful

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I'm just concerned that directly quoting from medical journals is somehow political, 99 percent of the post being pure measurement and fact and a begrudging consolation or tip of the hat to a public figure at the end and that's what we chose to delete.

I'd think people would be better able to handle the situation if they fully understood the mechanisms at play and were able to protect themselves accordingly.

I never said that all of the posts that were removed were political.  I try to be selective in removing posts; some were merely off-topic, while others had the potential to provoke an argument, whether they were entirely factual or not.  We're trying to avoid politicized, hot-button issues; unfortunately, there are too many people who are looking for reasons to argue about them, even though that's not what they should be coming to a place like AtariAge for.

I want everyone on Atari Age to make informed decisions and live as long as possible. It's an Atari thing... since most of us are older, or have health issues the information I posted might have helped in some small way (as noted in my agenda section). Perhaps it was written too well and made too much sense?

As the disappointment mounts, I would like to personally thank those who chose to contact me through regular e-mail in a show of support and understanding (but please don't share my email address again, while I appreciate the support, it's not something I share with everyone).

I'd love a copy of the thread from back up sent to my personal mailbox... I'm very interested in seeing all the posts.

Maybe a section or sub forum could be created for this material to be deposited in... ask our members repeatedly if we accept that we might see or read things that we might find objectionable, possibly political, or politically incorrect. If that isn't enough, add a disclaiming banner across the top.

There appears to be a slant to the selection method, I'd rather see for myself what went wrong. Who knows I might have agreement or disagreement with whatever they wrote. Deleting posts that were not involved a political altercation because of someone else's possibly political post... not a good choice.   Letting people know cold hard scientific data... never a bad choice.

Normally I would take this to PM, but the results are more and more disappointing. The craftiness of how it's handled becomes unknown to the members and is lost. It would appear a person of some intellect has made a choice in conflict with that intellect. I don't like watching a person I respect travel down a path leading to intellectual dishonesty, or rationalizing away that intellect with a new found proclivity for supporting one ideology over another.

If you are an Atarian we need you to stay healthy!

We are a community and we are few!

Only armed with the latest information,

can we continue,

to spread our knowledge,

and our care,

to the next group of Atarians,

everywhere!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

not sure what's better, as it's late...been walking through this desert, it's my fate...

when this thought came across my mind, with your help it could it be refined...

We are a community and we are few!

armed with the latest information,

we continue,

to spread our knowledge,

and our care,

to the next group of Atarians,

everywhere!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jaybird3rd said:

I never said that all of the posts that were removed were political.  I try to be selective in removing posts; some were merely off-topic, while others had the potential to provoke an argument, whether they were entirely factual or not.  We're trying to avoid politicized, hot-button issues; unfortunately, there are too many people who are looking for reasons to argue about them, even though that's not what they should be coming to a place like AtariAge for.

I think this is an Atari 8-bit board. There are more suitable boards to talk about Covid 19, even here at AtariAge (the Off-topic boards). So thank you for cleaning up this thread ?

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I think this is an Atari 8-bit board. There are more suitable boards to talk about Covid 19, even here at AtariAge (the Off-topic boards). So thank you for cleaning up this thread ?

I think the problem is the original post was of one topic but had the implications of another which made the discussion go in two different directions. (no disrespect to Gilsaluki, your art is fantastic).

No matter how important a topic is, there are always some places were it is not advantages to discuss it. Example: I am not going to discuss the importance of good hygiene while I am caught in a fast moving storm while I am swimming in the ocean.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with anything discussed here, just saying it probably is not the place. And I am not saying that any of it is not important, just that it probably isn't the place.

So, can we get some more pictures, Gilsaluki? I love sea themed pictures on the Atari if you are running short of ideas.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fred_M said:

You're welcome.  As you say, if anyone has any COVID-19 data that would be interesting and helpful, they are more than welcome to post it in the appropriate areas of the forums; it just doesn't belong here.

Also, in case there's any misunderstanding, I should point out that the decision to remove a post has nothing to do with agreement or disagreement with any viewpoints that may have been expressed in the post.  However imperfectly, I have tried to remain resolutely non-political—or non-ideological, if you prefer.  You won't learn anything about my ideology or political views from my moderating decisions, which to me is the way it should be.  We're here to keep the peace and to keep everyone on-topic and within the bounds of our community guidelines (which forbid politics and religion) as best we can, not to take sides over any issue of ideas.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I thought this thread was going to be about cake, boy was I surprised!

So close, but so far away.  Here's your missing S

And an apology for going off topic.  I really should break out my light pen.  Although, today I was reminded how nasty a shock a CRT screen will give, even when you are being kind to it and cleaning it.  I consider that my punishment for not being kind and minding my manners.

• Haha 1