IGNORED

ATARI Computerized Test System (ACTS)

KLund1

I found a sales training brochure that shows a picture of a mainframe style computer and talks about ACTS - ATARI Computerized Test System.

I have never heard or read about this. 

What I find interesting is it says:

"The ATARI Computerized Test System (ACTS) analyzes and stores test information on every single Atari Home Computer made."

Where is this file(s) with that test info? That would be an excellent storehouse of info and statistics about our favorite computers. Even if it is just for 400/800's it would quite a find. 

Would this be in the VAX tape files that Curt V. can not quite get access too? Or hopefully not lost to computer heven.

Atari ACTS.pdf

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KLund1 said:

I found a sales training brochure that shows a picture of a mainframe style computer and talks about ACTS - ATARI Computerized Test System.

I have never heard or read about this. 

What I find interesting is it says:

"The ATARI Computerized Test System (ACTS) analyzes and stores test information on every single Atari Home Computer made."

Where is this file(s) with that test info? That would be an excellent storehouse of info and statistics about our favorite computers. Even if it is just for 400/800's it would quite a find. 

Would this be in the VAX tape files that Curt V. can not quite get access too? Or hopefully not lost to computer heven.

Atari ACTS.pdf 679.38 kB · 29 downloads

Is this something you found online or do you have a physical copy? If the latter, could possible scan the rest of it?

Nevermind. I saw you already did. Thank you.

• Like 1

Just now, Caterpiggle said:

I wonder where was that assembly line to made Atari 400 ? In El Paso, Texas ? In that photo above.

I have a 400 and 800 each made in Sunnyvale, one 400 made in Hong Kong, and my other 800's were made in Taiwain.

Just now, Caterpiggle said:

If that photo (Atari 400) made in Hong Kong.

Who said it was? I just pointed out that Atari 400's and 800's were made in at least 3 locations: Sunnyvale, California USA; Hong Kong and Taiwan. 

And it's just a marketing/publicity photo. Don't take it so literally. 

8 hours ago, Allan said:

Is this something you found online or do you have a physical copy? If the latter, could possible scan the rest of it?

Nevermind. I saw you already did. Thank you.

ACTS was the Home Computers version of the PITS testing system.   I think I ran across something one time, but it may have just been some emails or a memo regarding, not sure if anything code or technical wise is stored on the mainframe backups though.   I have to find a photo of an early Missile Command for someone, so I will run a search in the Atari MF Restores and see if anything pop's up.  If I do find something I'll post up whatever I've got.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KLund1 said:

Atari ACTS.jpg

Kevin - so those huge empty platter cases on the tops of those washing machine looking units, those are removable hard drives that connect to the mainframes.

Until I can find someone with a working drive unit, which so far no one in the classic computing circles seems to have one in working condition (even I have a drive, but it completely non-functional) and willing to mount the disks and read them.... this is getting to be a serious issue the longer time goes by.

10 hours ago, KLund1 said:

So we need someone with RM05 hard drive unit connected to a PDP10,11,VAX using a Massbus interface to read CDC 9976 hard disk platter packs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massbus

Oh wow.... I have a couple MicroVAX machines but nothing that needs 3-phase power or requires 4 people to move.  Maybe various PDP11 UNIX groups like TUHS might have something.  Someone on the NetBSD/vax mailing list might have a working drive.

Hell with platters that big you can probably almost see the bits.  

A working PDP8 or PDP11 are on my bucket list though.  I like blinkenlights.

Edited by kogden