Open Club  ·  87 members

AtariVox
IGNORED

Talkative game recommendations?

quohog

Hi! I see a few comprehensive lists of games that support the Vox, which is great. But many of these are just using the savekey feature--which is also great! But I'd love to find out what games have done the best job with the voice feature. I just got my VOX, and Wizard of Wor Arcade is amazing! But that's the only game I have so far that talks. I want to build my collection of talking games! :)

So, more than a comprehensive list, I'd love to hear some recommendations for the best talking games, in your opinion. Especially ones that I can buy from AtariAge in nice, shiny boxes. :)

All opinions appreciated! Thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, quohog said:

I just got my VOX, and Wizard of Wor Arcade is amazing! But that's the only game I have so far that talks. I want to build my collection of talking games! :)

Hi there!

I'm glad you're enjoying Wizard of Wor Arcade!  Adding the voices for the AtariVox really helps give it that "arcade" experience and was a lot of fun to do (special thanks to @iesposta for creating all the speech phrases :thumbsup: ).  Champ Games is currently working on Gorf Arcade (release date either late 2020 or early 2021) and also a line of sports games (Champ Sports), starting with Champ Sports Baseball, that will feature voice for the announcer.

I'm not sure of many other 2600 titles that use the Atarivox for voice; a few I can recommend is Juno First which is an awesome game and Dungeon Stalker (but that is for the 7800).

• Like 1

Okay, so after looking a little bit closer at that vox-compatible games list, it's actually not as long as I thought and it was easier than I expected to check them all out. :)

Wizard of Wor is still the best voice, though, I think!

I look forward to Gorf, and many future vox-enhanced games, hopefully! 

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One more question for @johnnywc! I want to play WoW Arcade with voice and two players, and I've seen a couple posts saying that I need to get something called a Quadtari to make that work. But I can't find any information about where to actually get a quadtari. Are they still available? Do you have any links? 

Thanks! :)

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 4:33 PM, quohog said:

Okay, so after looking a little bit closer at that vox-compatible games list, it's actually not as long as I thought and it was easier than I expected to check them all out. :)

Wizard of Wor is still the best voice, though, I think!

Thanks!  @iesposta did a great job converted the phrases to the Atarivox and we were able to fit in 60+ of them! :thumbsup:  

On 6/27/2020 at 4:33 PM, quohog said:

I look forward to Gorf, and many future vox-enhanced games, hopefully! 

@Nathan Strum has already completed all of the phrases (30+) for Gorf Arcade and we're shooting for a Spring 2021 release and Champ Sports Baseball in the summer of 2021. :)  

6 hours ago, quohog said:

One more question for @johnnywc! I want to play WoW Arcade with voice and two players, and I've seen a couple posts saying that I need to get something called a Quadtari to make that work. But I can't find any information about where to actually get a quadtari. Are they still available? Do you have any links? 

The QuadTari is an adapter being developed by Nathan Tolbert aka @gauauu in conjunction with Champ Games that allows you to hook up to 4 joysticks to an Atari 2600 by supporting 2 joysticks on each port (this allows you to plug in the QuadTari to one port for 2 joysticks and leave the 2nd port free for the AtariVox/Savekey).  Games must be QuadTari compatible to support the additional joystick on each port; games that aren't QuadTari compatible operate in "passthru" mode where one joystick is supported per port.  It's been in development for a couple years, but we are happy to announce that the design has been completed and research is being done to start production (case design, cost, etc.) with a release date for the 2020 holiday season (if all goes well with production).

• Current games that support the QuadTari are Wizard of Wor Arcade and Galagon (this is used for 2 player co-op with Savekey/Atarivox). 
  • Zoo Keeper (being released this summer) will also support the QT (this allows you to play 2 player alternating with their own joystick with a SaveKey/AtariVox plugged in). 
  • Robotron (scheduled release for holiday season 2020) will allow you to play a 1 player game with 2 joysticks (one for moving, one for control) with AtariVox/SaveKey (we are also planning on adding in a co-op mode).  We may also add support for 4 joysticks to allow 2 players each to use 2 joysticks in co-op mode! :D 
  • Gorf Arcade will be QT compatible to allow 2 player alternating with their own joystick with AtariVox/SaveKey plugged in.
  • Champ Sports Baseball will be QT compatible and there are plans to support 4 player also (2 players per team).
  • We plan on releasing a developer's guide to allow other programmers to add in QT support to their games if they wish.

Hope that helps! 

John

• Thanks 1

Oh, it's not even done! That explains it. I feel better knowing I'm too early rather than too late! :D

It sounds amazing. I hope we see a whole rush of 4 player joystick hacks and new games for it. 4 player Combat. 4 player Ice Hockey. 4 Chicken Freeway!

Thanks for the response. You all at Champ Games are doing amazing stuff!