IGNORED

Fishin' Frenzy COJAG Conversion

WAVE 1 GAMES

Hello folks,

recent times have been a bit of a bummer with all of the insanity going on in the world so I have been trying to do things that are a bit less stressful. I woke up one day last week and said "you know what? I'm gonna try my hand at porting over that COJAG arcade game Fishin' Frenzy over to the actual Jaguar console"

So I started on it already. I used PhotoShop 2020 and honeycam to rip most of the graphics from the game. About 70% of everything in the actual arcade game has already been ripped and I am still ripping sprites and such now. I have spent about 2 or 3 days on this conversion so far and it's coming along nicely. Now being that I don't have the actual source code to the original arcade game, this is actually a re-creation and not an actual port. With that being said I am convinced I can make a 100% accurate replica of the arcade game. One cool thing about this is that I can run the real game in MAME and at the same time run my version in Virtual Jaguar and simultaneously control both games with the same controller. This sounds bizarre but is actually very helpful in identifying what needs to be changed in my version vs the real thing.  Below is a video of both my conversion and the real game. MAME is running on the right and the Jaguar version is running on the left in Virtual Jaguar so you guys can get an idea of just how close it's coming along. You may notice that some of the sound effects are not exactly the same. This is because I was unable to rip some sounds like the "Cha-Ching!" sound when you catch a fish. For these sounds I found similar samples online and adjusted the pitch using audacity to match the original sounds as close as possible. Anyway working on this little guy has been very relaxing and I am enjoying the hell out of it! Have a look!

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

What are the general rules of this game?

You have to collect all of the fish in a timely manner and try and get them all before the sea monster shows up. Once he arrives he will take your hook and you lose a life. As the game progresses it introduces additional challenges such as sharks, electric eels, sword slashing pirate skeletons and fat turtles that get in the way and make your hook bounce. It also lays the fish out in a more difficult arrangement to catch with every level. Bonus levels occur every 3 stages or so that let you collect additional points. Since this will be a home conversion and not an arcade game that requires quarters to continue I will likely add some sort of 1 UP item that can be collected in the bonus stages.

• Like 4

This is looking great so far, and agreed has loads of potential. As a fan of the PopCap games like Feeding Frenzy, theres definitely space for a title like this on Jag! The key here will be getting the playing mechanics right to match the action (ideally rotary spinner/or mouse support) so there is decent, reliable non-sluggish grab action where every fish can be grabbed without frustration. This could become a genuine must buy on the Jag for arcade fans. A great effort so far Jeff! Keep up the good work and really focus on the mechanics of the action. A slick gameplay experience will be vital for this one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I will consider the rotary option. This game uses Zeroplayer so I may need to reach out to omf for tips on getting that started.

As of right now it's not a very extravagant project. The goal is to make a 1 to 1 replica of the Arcade game. I do plan to fix some of the bad/broken things from the original such as the lack of 3 final stages, it's so weird how they did it you can tell there should be 3 but yet there is only 1. Also level 13 is really messed up, tacky and unfinished. This will be fixed in this version. I guess this all comes down to it being an arcade prototype vs a full production release. There are other things that I will leave in for the sake of true conversion like the red and black text blocks and sloppy layout of stats on the transition screens.

I will also include some special options that will be unlockable similar to some of my other releases.

This game will also use save states via the save chips (I bought a ton of these for another project)

High score should be saved as well as the trinkets and options you unlock.

I really wasn't expecting too many folks to be interested in this game and only started it because I found it to be a bit relaxing. I'm surprised at the overall interest to be honest. Also I'm not sure why I find this particular game relaxing to work on.... It's a bit strange. Perhaps it's just the task of emulating something already made or maybe its just the fact that I'm looking at all of these colorful fish that does it for me. Whatever the case may be I do enjoy the experience so expect an update here soon when I have something more to show. I have done quite a bit since my last post, but I'm not ready to reveal anything just yet.  :)

Thanks for all of the great feedback.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

shipwreck stage 32 Color spliced gfx mode:       shipwreck stage 16 color 4 bit gfx mode:

4160001_32colorsplicedmodeship.png.d545f94af7eee2ab85e672edaebfa8a5.png:1979334104_4bitcolormodeship.png.1ab83be3da531f6d27c966f58b102a50.png

Atlantis stage 32 Color spliced gfx mode:         Atlantis stage 16 color 4 bit gfx mode:

366829736_32colorsplicedmodeatlantis.png.559b3efd989844ee3024559ff3ad1df2.png 2090282079_4bitcolormodeatlantis.png.cfa3a0897ad299e7e993d6193ed4b58e.png

Why wouldn't you just use 256 Color for the backgrounds?

What are you guys even talking about? I thought the Jaguar was capable of displaying 16.8 million colors pushing over 850,000 pixels a second and is 64-bit?

awkward zach galifianakis GIF

But seriously, 256 is where it's at. Anything less would seem like a major downgrade since it appears the CoJag version is using 16-bit backgrounds to begin with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4