IGNORED

New Wingman SD adapter (use modern controllers on Saturn and Dreamcast+ VMU

seastalker

MadLittlePixel just reviewed the Wingman SD.

I'm surprised I may be the first to ask: If USB, does this mean instead of the official Sega keyboard, you can use ANY usb based keyboard?  If so, can we play Typing Of The Dead with an IBM Model M keyboard for better typing prowess or the convenience of a wireless option like the Logitech Wii keyboard?

I suppose the next question would be expand-ability. Would the one port be possible to make as four via a cheap usb hub?  Hopefully my two questions will make their way to their product FAQ.  Surely it would be a great advertising point for them if any usb keyboard would now work. 

10 hours ago, seastalker said:

I suppose the next question would be expand-ability. Would the one port be possible to make as four via a cheap usb hub?  Hopefully my two questions will make their way to their product FAQ.  Surely it would be a great advertising point for them if any usb keyboard would now work. 

Good question

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just received mine this week and just tested it a few hours ago with an Xbox One wireless controller.  I am VERY impressed.  The adapter includes 200 blocks of memory so you don't even need to use a VMU.

I'm quite sensitive to input latency and didn't notice any while playing Sonic Adventure and Record of Lodoss War.

This thing is perfect as far as I am concerned.  Highly recommended and well worth the money.

Source:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/dreamcast-keyboard-mouse-be-prepared

Quoting:

• Phantasy Star Online was a killer app for the keyboard when you could chat with other players when the servers used to be a-blazin’.
  • Worms World Party added keyboard support for those people like me who are used to the PC controls but were disappointed with the limited possibilities in the Dreamcast version of Worms Armedeggon.
  • Starlancer was a PC game first, so I imagine the controls can map nicely in that game, but I haven’t tried it.
  • Virtual On: OT also supports it, but I haven’t a clue how that would work out.
  • And finally, I have see keyboard support a bunch of fighting games, but I haven’t really figured out how that is beneficial.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a Wingman SD adapter and will be happy to test devices/controllers on request. I have a MODE in a Saturn and a GDemu in a dreamcast.  Also, I ask: I'm new to Saturn so what peripherals should I look out for? Control pads are one thing where I like to use original, but I'm not nostalgic for race wheels and light guns so any that work (I use CRTs) where I don't need separate ones for each system and other systems would be nice.  I did try the new BrawlerGen controller with the analog stick on the Saturn... I only have the USB version and was hoping this device would help me not need to also buy the Genesis/Saturn version of the controller.  I have not gotten it to work with the Saturn yet but need to read up on custom settings options etc. 

On another note, if I love this adapter, I hope they make a dual 3DO and CDi version! Controllers for these systems aren't the best and IF you find one they are too expensive. Other than the 3do's headphone jack, I'd prefer using a Genesis or saturn controller.  

• 2 weeks later...

So- this is a MUST have for Saturn and Dreamcast owners in my book.  Beyond the advertises features of using modern Xbox, PS4 and Switch controllers, I just tested it with my RetroFighters BrawlerGen. I bought the USB version thinking it would be great for Mister and PC, but was bummed when a Sega port version came out for it thinking I'd have to buy ANOTHER controller with sega ports for games like Nights Into Dreams.  Nope - this adapter is worth it for this alone to me. I 'liked' the brawlerGen USB controller but now ADORE that I can use it on the Saturn without the added expense of the Sega port version, AND I can use it on the Dreamcast! MadLittlePixel also did a video conforming you can use nearly any usb keyboard (I can use my preferred IBM Model M instead of buying the official Dreamcast keyboard I can't use elsewhere without yet another adapter). Saturn and Dreamcast fans using real hardware- BUY this thing and don't look back. 

Now I think I will look into a USB based racing wheel that can replace the need for buying the Saturn/Dreamcast options. I am researching light guns that will do the same as well as fishing controllers. As for arcade fighting sticks, I am holding off on the awesome Saturn Virtua Fighter Stick until I see comparisons to the new December 2020 Sega one and compare to the new Atari dual stick.

Edited by seastalker

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2020 at 3:29 PM, newtmonkey said:

I just received mine this week and just tested it a few hours ago with an Xbox One wireless controller.  I am VERY impressed.  The adapter includes 200 blocks of memory so you don't even need to use a VMU.

I'm quite sensitive to input latency and didn't notice any while playing Sonic Adventure and Record of Lodoss War.

This thing is perfect as far as I am concerned.  Highly recommended and well worth the money.

Quoting myself here with an update on my thoughts on this device.

As a converter to use modern controllers on a DC it's quite nice (small nitpick: I would have preferred a VMU slot on the adapter itself rather than the built-in memory), but using wireless controllers with this is a massive pain.  I had to pair my genuine XboxONE controller every single time I powered the DC on, and even then pairing would just time out more often than not.  I couldn't get a genuine PS3 DS3 controller to pair at all, it simply would not connect no matter how many times I tried.  I made sure the Wingman had the latest firmware installed but, in the end, getting any kind of wireless controller working was an exercise in frustration.

It works fine when either controller is connected via USB cable, but that sort of defeats the purpose of getting this for me as I wanted to play DC from my couch without running controller cables across the room.