IGNORED

Looking for a post. Video converter box?

CrazyChris

Within the last couple of months someone posted, within a thread, about their favorite video converter box.

I went to the companies website, and the boxes, were in clear cases. The company was homebrew-ish,

but had high quality products. The firmware for the boxes may have been open source. Anyone know where this post is?

13 minutes ago, CrazyChris said:

Within the last couple of months someone posted, within a thread, about their favorite video converter box.

I went to the companies website, and the boxes, were in clear cases. The company was homebrew-ish,

but had high quality products. The firmware for the boxes may have been open source. Anyone know where this post is?

The only open-source project that I’m aware of is OSSC - Open Source Scan Converter. I know people who have one and like it. I have and quite like the RetroTink 2X-Pro. There are also any number of cheapie HDMI scalers available inexpensively from Amazon or eBay.

Some of these are better than others but most of the cheaper ones add a bit of lag and might have some issues in certain retro-systems depending on graphics modes. Old systems didn’t necessarily stick to precisely-defined NTSC or PAL standards because old analog-tuner TVs were much more forgiving of sloppy signals. Even with the “better” converters such as the RetroTink, some Atari 2600 games can make it choke because they use non-standard numbers of scanlines or other weird things in their display kernels that confuses a modern HDMI display. 

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

How would the RetroTINK 2X-Pro handle the output of a VBXE?

The 2X-Pro can accept composite, S-video or component. It doesn't accept RGB directly.

However, the RetroTink RGB2Comp takes a SCART connection and outputs component for North American displays, or to input into the 2X-Pro. 

EDIT: Better yet, if you have a SCART output cable, then use the 2X-SCART instead to go straight to HDMI in one box.