IGNORED

One last Wii and Wii U release; Shakedown: Hawaii

Atariboy

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/06/no_seriously_the_wii_and_wii_u_are_getting_physical_versions_of_shakedown_hawaii_this_year

The Wii release will be a European exclusive due to issues getting Nintendo of America to cooperate. In the place of a Wii release for North America, a new port has been made for the Wii U.

• Like 1

I got Shakedown: Hawaii towards the end of December last year during a Playstation Store sale for the PS4.  I really enjoyed it.  The cynical humor really clicked with me.

I'm not sure if it's really a "forever game" but I played through the main storyline and had a blast during the couple of weeks I was addicted to it.  The style of the game really made it.

Sounds like the EU Wii version is region free as it is said to play in NTSC, PAL, 50hz and 60hz. I wonder if they could include the Wii version with the Wii U NTSC version as a bonus like they did with Rodea Sky (or whatever that game was called).

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

Sounds like the EU Wii version is region free as it is said to play in NTSC, PAL, 50hz and 60hz. I wonder if they could include the Wii version with the Wii U NTSC version as a bonus like they did with Rodea Sky (or whatever that game was called).

No, the Wii version is region locked. A fair number of PAL territory games in the era of 480p consoles before HD took over had optional 60hz modes thanks to many PAL CRT televisions supporting the standard. I'd say 1/3rd of my 15 or so PAL PS2 games can be switched to 60hz for instance.

"As incredibly as it all worked out, unfortunately, Wii discs aren't region-free, and I didn't want North American players to be left out. Although I continued talks with NOA, floating around a Plan B, Plan C... Plan Z, sadly, every idea hit a wall. The clock was ticking, and after exhausting all other options, I decided to pivot to the next best thing: the Wii U."

Rodea was actually on two separate discs. And since Nintendo of America isn't willing to allow another run of Wii discs, I imagine that also goes for a run of Wii discs that's included as an extra with a Wii U release.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

I love Vblank. They did something similar by releasing the PSP version of Retro City Rampage after PSP production had stopped (though they were too late to release that one physically, so they included it in the cross-buy with the Vita/PS3/PS4 versions). They even released a version of the game on a floppy disk for a 486 PC.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was waiting for the 10am PST to buy a copy of each.  I was logged into my vblank account and paypal.  I hit "refresh" a few times leading up to 10am PST just for good measure and once the time arrived, the page just hung while refreshing.  Seemed like the site was really getting pounded.  After about 30secs to 1min of watching the loading circle, I stopped it and hit refresh again, then saw they were SOLD OUT.  I was pretty disappointed at first, but when I checked a little while later, I saw they were available again.  Don't know what happened, some website error I suppose, but once I got through I bought 2 of each.  Now I have copies I can either give as a gift or sell at a reasonable price if I know someone who wants them and doesn't want to pay a scalper's price.  I'm glad to see they are still available for those who want them, but I expected them to sell out faster than they have.  With the ease of soft-modding a Wii, the region lock really isn't much of an issue.

I had a similar thing happen with some Switch pre-orders from SuperRare the same day.  On 9 July, as soon as the pre-orders opened, the site showed SOLD OUT.  This turned out to be a website issue and SuperRare has re-scheduled the release for next week.  So, both disappointments yesterday turned out okay.  :-)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reminder. I wasn't planning on getting this, but the price was too good to pass up. Less than $30 for the standard edition after shipping. Excellent deal! Great to have another new, official Wii U game in physical form. :)

Edit: 45 minutes in and both editions are still available.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

Looking forward to mine getting here hopefully this afternoon.

In other news, I see the standard edition has now also sold out. Nice that they produced enough to give it a 10 day or so window of opportunity to purchase instead of less than 10 minutes like some other publishers do. 

Just opened mine. :)

The shrink wrap looks like something that will drive sealed game nuts even nuttier down the road, since I think it was just done on your average shrink wrap machine. I'm sure someone that's ignorant on the situation will someday think a sealed copy of this is a reseal.

Me on the other hand, I bought it to play it on one of my favorite modern consoles.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

Just opened mine. :)

The shrink wrap looks like something that will drive sealed game nuts even nuttier down the road, since I think it was just done on your average shrink wrap machine. I'm sure someone that's ignorant on the situation will someday think a sealed copy of this is a reseal.

Me on the other hand, I bought it to play it on one of my favorite modern consoles.

You don't think Nintendo did the shrinkwrap?

I suspect they didn't, judging by how it looks.

Plus, I remember Limited Run Games showing off a spindle full of Axiom Verge discs when they were putting together that Wii U package. It seems unlikely that they could've posted that teaser had Nintendo been the one that was assembling and sealing the cases, so I'm assuming Nintendo just sent the naked discs directly to LRG.

I imagine this limited release was the same way, with the publisher just getting discs from Nintendo (and presumably the Wii U cases), with it up to VBlank to put all the components together and seal the cases.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Over Black Friday, Vblank put up "Discounted Condition" copies of Shakedown Hawaii and Retro City Rampage for the Wii and Wii U...meaning there is some level of cosmetic damage. But on the bright side, these copies only cost $15 a pop!

Just about everything has sold out, but there are still copies of RCR for Wii left:

https://vblank-entertainment.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/retro-city-rampage-dx-discounted-condition-wii