IGNORED

Nothing Seems to WORK!!!

Yar90

Hello there,

I modded my 4 switch woody so that it has AV plugs. Everything is wired up correctly as far as I know after studying pictures and schematics. I get audio and no video. 

I have upgraded the RIOT, CPU, and voltage regulator but still I have the same problem. 

I made sure to check check and check again that everything was soldered into the correct places. 

I also made sure there is voltage going from the adapter to the regulator and large capacitor that is near the regulator...

The adapter measures at 13.97, the regulator is the same on the left and then on the right leg it is 5.05. (Good) 

Do you think the problem is the TIA chip? I can’t seem to find one on the web and the other new chips I got were from arcade shop. 

Thanks for your input if you have any.

If the type of AV mod you fitted still allows the RF output to operate as normal then try connecting via that if you can because...

1) If the RF output is fine that suggests either an error was made in fitting the AV mod or it is faulty

2) If there is also no Video via the RF output, that suggest you may have made an error when fitting the AV mod that is somehow killing the video signal whether that be an incorrect connection, heat damage to something while soldering or an unintentional short circuit.

If item 2 is the situation you are in then I would suggest removing the AV mod because if it was working fine before the AV mod was fitted but not afterwards that suggest the issue probably lies with an incorrect fitting of the AV mod or a fault or the AV mod circuit. In which case you can blindly swap out all the semiconductors and replace all the caps you like and it will make no difference at all as the cause of the problem is still attached.

In regard to checking the mod is correctly fitted don't just make a cursory check that the wires are going to correct place, take a very close look for any solder splashes or excessive wire that may be shorting to an adjacent component/adjacent pin on the came component.

With the AV mod removed...

a) If the Video output returns on RF output that would also suggest a fault with the AV mod or during fitting is the source of the problem

b) If the Video does not return on the RF output then it is possible that a fitting error or fault with the AV mod has caused damage to some of the original components, which may be easier to find with the 2600 returned to its original circuitry.

• Like 1

Many of us have successfully modded our systems without any problems - that suggests that something is amiss with your mod itself or the installation of said mod. I don't mean to be "that guy" but the fact that you created another symptom (lost audio) suggests the issue may be related to the quality of the work you've done - inadvertent solder bridges; damaged pads; lifted traces; or simply connecting things incorrectly.

If you're actually interested in solving the problem(s) and getting your Atari working, you might consider posting good-quality, reasonably close-up photos of all the work you have done.

• Like 4

On 6/29/2020 at 2:45 AM, DrVenkman said:

If you're actually interested in solving the problem(s) and getting your Atari working, you might consider posting good-quality, reasonably close-up photos of all the work you have done.

It's the posters third thread.  There are two earlier posts.  It appears the member wants fresh insight each time.

The good news is this thread seems to be holding him.

I have indeed started three posts because I wanted to get plenty of feedback. 

I will now use this one as the primary. 

After installing a new RIOT, CPU, and TIA chip plus using a new adapter, still I have a black screen. 

I traced the video wire from where it starts on the board to the mod board and then to the jack. It read 5.01 up to the mod board and then from the mod board to the jack it dropped down to around 4.50.

All in all I’ve put in new caps, chips, voltage regulator, and am using a brand new adapter and still I have no video or audio. 

I’m pretty much at the point where I’ll just take out all the new stuff I put into the 2600 and either use it for parts or sell it for parts... 

Here are some more detailed photos of the upgrades I’ve done. 

Thanks for trying to help.

03152122-D4C5-474D-9EAC-B6701EBB6B07.jpeg

8032DB5F-4321-4544-B78A-68297922E01E.jpeg

B0DD5927-4518-49C0-BF42-BAA84E4BFEDD.jpeg

4866BC5E-E955-42DC-BC05-4F450852AD6A.jpeg

DCCB14EA-F442-479A-A722-92DFC028ACB2.jpeg