IGNORED

UK Multiboots?

Back in the day I used a multiboot with a rippling Fuji logo at the top and I can't find it on any atr sites. Can anyone remember whether this was the Rob C one or was that just the plain multiboot?

Is it available anywhere?

Did anyone ever meet RobC? I think someone told me he worked as a chef but don't know if this is true or not?  

i've a nice collection of menu disks - including the two different MB colour scrolling types. PM me.

The two were: both MB variants and not Rob C. One had a Fuji symbol, while the other had a scrolling colours with background/foreground scrolling differently

I heard RobC was a postman - in the northwest (Manchester/Stockport area)? there are plenty of RobC menus - includign musical menus - where the added music played while the menu was displayed.

Edited by Guest

IIRC it was a DOS autorun with the rainbow logo, I have some of them in my set somewhere, I'll try and dig them out unless someone has a properly sorted set and can help.

Never met him, downloaded Buck Rogers from him on a 300 baud modem but never even spoke to him, my mate somehow knew him but Kev knew everyone...

Chef, no idea....Twas a small world in the scene but not that small :)

Pretty sure Brenski sorted the multiboots in to sets, as I was looking for one I was involved in creating and he supplied sets of them which was very handy..

Edited by Mclaneinc

1 hour ago, brenski said:

this topic:

mentioned a LOGOMENU on the reverse of 1.1, but it was never confirmed.

Actually, I received error-free, original images of all disks in PM from @GoodByteXL. These were subsequently made available on my website. I just never stated these facts directly in the thread. What was never confirmed there was whether the "Software Preservation" copies were error-free or not.

As far as the LOGOMENU being on the v1.1 disk, side 2, it's definitely there.

logomenu.thumb.png.c07c4e9429ae150d97f6ee95b41bd7e6.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3

That's pretty cool!

Of course, in this day of atr images Megabytes in size, and storage media being so cheap, so that we can store an almost unlimited amount of disk images without needing to purchase diskettes, I don't know that there's really much need or use for multiboot disk menus anymore, other than nostalgia, of course.

just some added info:

the menu maker in question is called Alpha-Load Menu Maker. It has four different menu options:

1.thumb.JPG.ca73339e4391f5e2f56a6e964ebd023e.JPG

Multiboot:

4.thumb.JPG.6c511687a5e508aeee99e07d1c92e42a.JPG

Multiboot - Multiload: (Not Sure if this is it, but my understanding is that option 2 allows for creating menus with multi-part files) 

5.thumb.JPG.453dace4e8a6d612084da598ee247d12.JPG

Alpha Menu - Atari Logo:

2.thumb.JPG.64ea38aeb2ffb8895a6099d3b7f27f32.JPG

Alpha Menu - Scrolling Colours:

3.thumb.JPG.df76f69f40f257a008689f9dd929b355.JPG

As for RobC Menus - there were some later add-ons - like DiskeyII and Musical Menus.

RobC Games Menu

1.thumb.JPG.3da96197d5ca724b8aa05d7ee4be7d3d.JPG

RobC Menu Maker/Utils:

2.thumb.JPG.4c77d9096a9be80645c330af772fcbb0.JPG

RobC Utilities Disk:

4.thumb.JPG.fa1118cace97c8033961cb811763f663.JPG

RobC DiskeyII/Muscial Menu Maker: - you could add a game tune to the menu, it plays during initial menu load (until a menu item is selected). Adding a musical menu (I think) resulted in one less menu option on the main screen.

3.thumb.JPG.01474791f970e93f10d583c0f0433487.JPG

Hope this helps

Edited by Guest

there's another thread here somewhere where i listed them:

Alphaload - Fuji

Alphaload - Scrolling

Aura Menu

Elton C

Games Disk [unknown]

Games Disk [maybe early Ian K]

Gamesmaster [Mikran]

Howfen Dos ver 3.07

Howfen Dos ver 3.08

Ian D Menu Maker

Ian K Menu Creator

Ian K Menu Creator [1.9]

Ian M Menu Creator

Jon C

Jon C Utilities Menu

John E Multi Menu

John W Menu

LK Avalon

Max's Megamix [Rob C]

Menuloader

Microdos

Mockingbird

Multi-Boot

Multi-Boot Gold

Multi-Boot Super XL Plus ver 1.0

Rob C

Rob C Musical Menu-Maker 1

Rob C Musical Menu-Maker 2

Rob C Musical Menu-Maker 3

Rob C Musical Menu-Maker 4

Rob C Musical Menu-Maker 5

Rob C Musical Menu-Maker 6

Rob C Musical Menu-Maker 7

Rob C Musical Menu-Maker 8

Speedmenu v 3US [bibodos]

Stevesoft Menu

Supaboot Menu

Super Boot

Ultraspeed Alphaload

Ultraspeed Multiboot

Warpspeed Multiboot

Yogi Menu

Note: this is not complete - just as it was at that point in time

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 6:00 PM, Steve Mynott said:

Thanks it was of course the Alpha-Load menu! Now I downloaded several ATRs of the menu maker and I can't get any of them to work.

Have I forgotten something or are many of the images broken>

These Alpha-Load menu disks work on the various emulators and work perfectly well under 800XL/130XE emulation etc but you may need to change the disk emulation settings in some of the emulators. They also work on real hardware as long as the 1050 drive has been hardware upgraded with a US Doubler / Happy 1050 / Speedy etc modification.

There are a fair few versions of the Alpha-Load utility disks where the menu makers are broken - working versions can be found on this forum and the main ftp sites - generally the most original working ones from back then are normally called - AlphaMenuUtilitiesSideA.ATR and AlphaMenuUtilitiesSideB.ATR - I've attached them here for your convinience.

Alpha-Load_utilities.zip

Edited by CaptainMidnight
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 3:41 PM, djmat56 said:

is there such a utility where I can transfer files from one menu disk to another but using two drives? I created a menu the usual way but its a pain having to keep swapping the disks after every transfer

Since SpartaDOS can access most disk formats it should be possible to boot SpartaDOS, put a menu disk in each drive, then copy from one to the other.

Greetings Ladies and Gents, [BillC] that true if we are talking about Dos type files, however Multiboot and Ultra Speed Alphaload do not use Dos file types, they are boot sectors of an actual boot disk or cassette.

Most people that wrote these boot menu programs only had a single disk drive (1050 with Lazer, Happy, Super Archiver 2, US duplicator or US Doubler) modification to allow 180kb per side, therefore were only designed for one drive copying, a basic 1050 130kb cost £300 in 1986 plus a minimum of £60 for a 180kb modification £360 about $486 USD or $622 CAD, I got my first Atari 400 in January 1010 tape deck in June 1985, a 800XL in January 1986, a second hand Atari 810 disk drive in November 1986, in 1988 I borrowed a quad 1050 180kb for a month while developing the early foundations of

Assembly Source Interface V1.2A that was released in September 1992, in 1989 I offered to buy the quad 1050 and got it, but never paid for it until 1999!

Edited by ASI Industries
  • Like 2

The menu's disks I have are lite dos menu's dos 2.0S, 2.5, 3 + 4, Boot sector menu's Multiboots, Ian K, Rob C, Howfendos 1 + 2

and Alpha Boot (90kb, 130kb),  most Rob C menu's and Howfendos 1 needs the Translater disk on XL/XE.

SpartaDos menu's, lite dos menu's dos 2.0D, boot sector menu's US Alphaload, Howfendos 1 + 2 and Elton C (180kb),

Howfendos 1 boot sector menu's also needs Translater disk on XL/XE.

I am actually cataloging my entire Atari 8bit collection as I am planning to offload everything including unreleased software and manuals,

when I have finished the list I will offer it here to UK users first I may split, however I am not documenting any Pirate software, but I will ask

what disk densities they can handle thus not giving them 180kb disk when they only have a stock 1050.

The unreleased stuff goes to Atari-Age!

Edited by ASI Industries