IGNORED

7800 Galaga POKEY upgrade

Synthpopalooza

So, I got involved with this on the 5200/A8

I am also going to do sounds for the 7800, too, but with one major difference:  Two 16-bit POKEY channels for sfx and TIA for ship firing and explosion.  My hope is this can eventually be hacked into the current 7800 galaga.   More soon...

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 13

Fascinating!  Chalk one up from me as being interested as well.  While the 7800 Galaga sounds surprisingly good with stock hardware, Pokey still allows a lot more if desired. 

I should look for Donkey Kong and DK Jr with Pokey as well.  Both sound atrocious with stock hardware and the original DK was missing a level... (still amazed the NES port was missing the same level, are pie-loaded conveyor belts too much to animate?!  But I digress and while and digress since I love doing two of those things... :D )

27 minutes ago, CommodoreDecker said:

Fascinating!  Chalk one up from me as being interested as well.  While the 7800 Galaga sounds surprisingly good with stock hardware, Pokey still allows a lot more if desired. 

I should look for Donkey Kong and DK Jr with Pokey as well.  Both sound atrocious with stock hardware and the original DK was missing a level... (still amazed the NES port was missing the same level, are pie-loaded conveyor belts too much to animate?!  But I digress and while and digress since I love doing two of those things... :D )

It was due to ROM space to store the additional game code, including conveyors and moving ladders, and issues with bankswitching tiles. The best home conversions of the era were for the ADAM and C64, if you wanted all levels and the intro. At least the 7800 and NES versions use the JP level, order.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CommodoreDecker said:

:D

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 3

On 6/30/2020 at 1:57 PM, GameGeezer said:

It was due to ROM space to store the additional game code, including conveyors and moving ladders, and issues with bankswitching tiles. The best home conversions of the era were for the ADAM and C64, if you wanted all levels and the intro. At least the 7800 and NES versions use the JP level, order.

Donkey Kong 7800 is a 48k ROM, while the C64 original Atari release is a 16k ROM.  (Colecovision is also 16k and the Adam is 32k)

That seems to be a pretty big difference at 3 times the size.  I don't recall if the Atari 16k release has all 4 screens though EDIT: Yes, 16k Atari C64 release has all 4 screens.

The Colecovision Qbert is 8k ROM, the C64 version is 16k ROM while Binq is 48k.  Perhaps the 7800 is requiring more ROM space for graphics?

Edited by christo930

5 hours ago, christo930 said:

Donkey Kong 7800 is a 48k ROM, while the C64 original Atari release is a 16k ROM.  (Colecovision is also 16k and the Adam is 32k)

That seems to be a pretty big difference at 3 times the size.  I don't recall if the Atari 16k release has all 4 screens though EDIT: Yes, 16k Atari C64 release has all 4 screens.

The Colecovision Qbert is 8k ROM, the C64 version is 16k ROM while Binq is 48k.  Perhaps the 7800 is requiring more ROM space for graphics?

While ROM size is a factor, it is not the factor in determining space available or needed for graphics and overall game quality.  The programmer's ability and talent, including efficient programming code, will play a very significant part as well. 

For example, look at the two baseball games for the 7800:

Pete Rose Baseball = 32K

RealSports Baseball = 64K

While both games are not making any 'best of' video series, Realsports Baseball is no where near as graphically detailed and oriented as Pete Rose Baseball, yet is twice the ROM size.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jinks said:

I find all 2600/7800 sports games all horrible to play. Any of those would need a complete rewrite.  7800 Galaga is perfect to me the way it is. Mario bros, dk jr need the sound upgrades the most. 

DK and DKJr both need audio revamps, and as much as "Fatal Run" does a surprisingly good job with the limited hardware, especially in-game where it counts the most, imagine its music with a proper POKEY update.

If only GCC developed it with the POKEY internal instead of an add-in option...