IGNORED

Free Byte Magazines

StickJock

While cleaning up, I came across 8 Byte magazines, dated May 1985 (Vol 10, No 5) to December 1985 (Vol 10, No 13).

The September 1985 issue has an article "The Quarter-Meg Atari 800XL" by Claus Buchholz, whom I am assuming is @ClausB.

There is also a sort-of Atari related article in the June issue, "6502 Tricks and Traps" by Joe Holt.

If anyone wants these, they can have them for the cost of shipping.  Otherwise, they are getting thrown out next Wednesday for trash pickup.

20200627_132931[1].jpg

• Like 1

I'll take them if nobody else wants them. You can ship them as Media Mail (or, some such thing)  -- cheap.

I'm up in Placerville. Not so far.

Bob

.... 256K? Really?

(I'm messing with ya... getting in BYTE was a big deal)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bob1200xl said:

... 256K? Really?

No, not 256K...  Quarter-Meg! 

Sounds much more impressive, doesn't it?  Like a Half-Terrabyte instead of 500GB.  Now that I think about it, my 320XE is soooo close to being a Third-Meg!

17 hours ago, bob1200xl said:

I'll take them if nobody else wants them. You can ship them as Media Mail (or, some such thing)  -- cheap.

Only if the postal clerks don't check out what it is you're mailing. One of the key points for shipping via media mail is that the items beings shipped can't have any sort of advertising in them. It doesn't matter that the magazines, and the ads, are 30+ years old.

Sometimes you can get away with it, sometimes not.

Media Mail Service Rules

And Byte is probably 50% ads!  

The Media Mail notably does not mention periodicals in its list of allowable stuff.

Although, this line can technically cover pretty much anything.  And as we all know, technically correct is the best kind of correct! ?

18 hours ago, bob1200xl said:

I'm up in Placerville. Not so far.

Bob

I've been there! Made a customer visit to Shingle Springs. Flew into Reno, visited a friend there, drove around Lake Tahoe, took a hotel in Placerville. Stopped at a park where you could pan for gold but didn't have time for that so I just bought some gold flakes for the kids. Beautiful country there!

On 6/28/2020 at 9:25 AM, bfollowell said:

Sometimes you can get away with it, sometimes not.

I have NEVER had a media mail package inspected and have used that method countless times for shipment of items like this. You have had them check and refuse? 

3 hours ago, Gavin1968 said:

I have NEVER had a media mail package inspected and have used that method countless times for shipment of items like this. You have had them check and refuse? 

Yep, I certainly have. Their rules are right there on their web site for review. I'm glad you were lucky enough to use it, but I haven't been able to.