Jase

2600 home brew compatibility on 7800?

Hi - I just took delivery of 2 7800 home brews and 6 for the 2600, along with the fantastic Atarivox, and I’m really amazed with the quality of the games and their presentation! It’s like being in the 80s again, buying new games for the old VCS!

My usual choice is to play on my 7800, but I found that Space Rocks, Star Castle and Scramble won’t boot. They work fine on my 2600jr though.

Anyone know why? My 7800 is a PAL version.

TIA

I've never had any compatibility problems with the 2600 games I've made.  In fact, my first hardware tests usually start on a 7800.

Once a client / collaborator had a 7800 that corrupted the high res title screen slightly.  Couldn't reproduce on other known good 7800s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jase said:

My usual choice is to play on my 7800, but I found that Space Rocks, Star Castle and Scramble won’t boot.

Weird. I think those are all Melody board-based cartridges. Do you have a Harmony Cart? If so, I bet it also doesn’t work. Of those, I only own Space Rocks but it, and my Harmony Cart (also Melody-based), both work great on both of my 7800’s. 

Might be a power issue - what kind of PSU are you using on your 7800? Are you comfortable opening it up to measure the output of the internal voltage regulator with one of those problematic titles running? (Or at least plugged in with the console turned on)?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Weird. I think those are all Melody board-based cartridges. Do you have a Harmony Cart? If so, I bet it also doesn’t work. Of those, I only own Space Rocks but it, and my Harmony Cart (also Melody-based), both work great on both of my 7800’s. 

Might be a power issue - what kind of PSU are you using on your 7800? Are you comfortable opening it up to measure the output of the internal voltage regulator with one of those problematic titles running? (Or at least plugged in with the console turned on)?

Yes I have a harmony cart and it works fine!?

The power supply is the original Atari one. I have no problems opening up the 7800, I fitted an A/V mod to it. I’ll have a look and see.

What happens is it just boots to the internal game, Asteroids. It’s as if there isn’t a cart plugged in. I’ve checked and checked that they are plugged in correctly. Very strange!

Of those three games, Space Rocks and Scramble use a Melody board, and Star Castle Arcade uses our Aria board.  Unfortunately, sometimes there are compatibility issues with some 7800 systems, and we tend to call these systems "evil 7800s".  Atari tweaked the 7800 several times during its run, trying to fix compatibility issues with 2600 games, but it seems they'd fix one issue only to introduce others.  Even some of Atari's own games have issues on the 7800, and some third-party cart have issues as well. 

I'm sorry you've had issues with these three games.  I would be glad to replace them, but it's likely the replacements would also not work on that particular 7800. 

..Al

• Thanks 1

Hi Al - thanks for the reply! Yes I’ve read about these rogue 7800’s, I was guessing maybe mine was one of them!

As for the replacements, thanks for the offer but it’s fine! I do actually like to run 2600 games on a 2600, mainly to impress friends on the new innovations from you guys, but also for the sheer fun of it. 
By the way, my only regret with my order is that I didn’t order them all to be boxed. I’m so impressed with the Galaga and WoW boxes that I’d like to be able to have them for the remaining 6 carts! Is there a way I could do this, do you offer these as a separate item? I’ll likely order one or two other carts at the same time to make it worth your while!

And finally, thank you so much for this amazing site! It truly is a superb experience buying new games for my old Atari’s, and they are all incredible!

Cheers

Jase

• Like 1

Just now, Jase said:

Hi Al - thanks for the reply! Yes I’ve read about these rogue 7800’s, I was guessing maybe mine was one of them!

I have a bunch of 7800s (which I use to demo games at shows), and of those one is a straight out "evil" 7800, and then I have another that's about halfway between normal and evil (runs nearly everything, but sometime I run into a game that won't run).  It's really annoying that they exist!

Just now, Jase said:

As for the replacements, thanks for the offer but it’s fine! I do actually like to run 2600 games on a 2600, mainly to impress friends on the new innovations from you guys, but also for the sheer fun of it.

Glad you have a 2600 you can use to enjoy the games.  :)

Just now, Jase said:

By the way, my only regret with my order is that I didn’t order them all to be boxed. I’m so impressed with the Galaga and WoW boxes that I’d like to be able to have them for the remaining 6 carts! Is there a way I could do this, do you offer these as a separate item? I’ll likely order one or two other carts at the same time to make it worth your while!

Yes, I'd be glad to sell you the boxes separately for any games you previously purchased without boxes.

Just now, Jase said:

And finally, thank you so much for this amazing site! It truly is a superb experience buying new games for my old Atari’s, and they are all incredible!

Thanks for the kind words, glad you're enjoying the site!

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He stated he has a PAL 7800...do we know if the PAL units feature the extra timing circuit that was introduced on the mid made 7800s? Be curious if it does exist and if something similar to our removing C64 from circuit might be something similar needed here on PAL units?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

He stated he has a PAL 7800...do we know if the PAL units feature the extra timing circuit that was introduced on the mid made 7800s? Be curious if it does exist and if something similar to our removing C64 from circuit might be something similar needed here on PAL units?

That’s interesting! Would be cool if there is a mod...