IGNORED

SIO lead, straight through or not?

Mclaneinc

Cut up the only SIO cable I had thinking I had a spare couple and I'd seen 2 SIO2USB lead heads only..

I can solder a couple of leads together to make one but is it  pin 1 to pin 1 etc etc etc ie can I just match up the wire colours. (yellow to yellow etc) or do are the heads wired to different pins on one  end

Just looked at all the 'heads' and the same colours are seen in the same pins so I am pretty sure I can just match the colours....I'll await a confirmation..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Thank you Doc, here all the colours on the heads match both colour and pin number used...Was getting myself mixed up with the pin numbers on the plug and the socket....So as its just making the SIO cable whole again then colour matching is fine...For a last double check with you?

You could unscrew the connector, look at the colors left to right and the row below it. Write it down. Screw it back together. Do the same with the other connector. If the colors match, you are good to go! :)

Edited by ivop

1 hour ago, Awch said:

Thanks for this thread. I'm just about to print some SIO connectors for AVG and new cables and was going to have to track this info down.

The same information I mentioned above still applies - SIO cables are straight through: so pin 1 on one end corresponds with pin 1 on the other end, etc.

But the same caveat applies as well: there’s no specific “color standard” for the conductors inside; as I understand it, Paul cut his cable in half and then repaired the same cable, so matching colors was logical and obvious. If he was soldering two separate cable halves together to make a whole, the fact that the colors matched is a happy accident, since there’s no guarantee that any two cables would use conductors with the same color insulation.

• Like 3