IGNORED

Apple IIgs SCART->SyncSlayer 2 issue

Armitage

I'm trying to consolidate all my systems to be able to use a wide range of RGB monitors without having a ton of different adapters and such. I have run into a strange issue:

My IIgs displays fine on an RGB monitor with a custom cable, so I'm pretty sure the system itself is fine.

I recently purchased a SyncSlayer 2 (SCART -> HD15 that can output TTL or lower voltage sync signals to both RGBc and RGBHV monitors).

When used with other systems, this setup works flawlessly so I believe the SyncSlayer, its output cable, and the monitor are all ok.

When used with the Apple IIgs, I get a weird distortion only at the top of the screen:

IMG_20200628_120855.thumb.jpg.f9d1b2f163f27a8e466249490057a2ac.jpg

Anyone seen this before? I checked the DB15->SCART cable from the IIgs to the SyncSlayer and there are no shorts between pins and everything is connected as it should be. The IIgs has never been recapped, but I'm not sure that's a problem or not since it displays fine with the other cable/monitor setup.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, H454 said:

What is the monitor used and Does the IIGS to SCART cable have anything extra in it? Like caps or sync stripper?

The monitor is a Commodore 1902. Nothing special about the cable itself, it's connected straight through. I even shortened it from 6' to 3' just to make sure it wasn't too long. The monitor works great when using the SyncSlayer with other SCART/RGB inputs including from Amiga, Atari ST, and Megadrive/Genesis. The cable itself doesn't appear to have anything extra, so I'm wondering if there's something odd about the sync signal coming out of the Apple. I don't own a scope (yet) so I haven't been able to look at that.

If you can get a Genesis to work (analog to TTL), The IIgs should too.

I can't find a manual or even a good pic of the jumpers for SyncSlayer II.

The IIgs uses composite sync.

The 1902 uses TTL input.

So, if you have some documentation that might mention jumpers changes for those conditions, That would be were I'd start.

What has the IIgs fully worked with before?

Like monitors / cables & etc.

Ok, I saw your vid adtpro on a 1084.

I think it's a settings problem on the SS2 for the 1902. I think you are getting it to kinda of work now because older analog screens could be pretty generous when it came to input signals.

A pic on the top snycslayerII (ss2 for short) would definitely help.

On 9/2/2020 at 3:34 AM, H454 said:

If you can get a Genesis to work (analog to TTL), The IIgs should too.

I can't find a manual or even a good pic of the jumpers for SyncSlayer II.

The IIgs uses composite sync.

The 1902 uses TTL input.

So, if you have some documentation that might mention jumpers changes for those conditions, That would be were I'd start.

What has the IIgs fully worked with before?

Like monitors / cables & etc.

On 9/2/2020 at 3:49 AM, H454 said:

Ok, I saw your vid adtpro on a 1084.

I think it's a settings problem on the SS2 for the 1902. I think you are getting it to kinda of work now because older analog screens could be pretty generous when it came to input signals.

A pic on the top snycslayerII (ss2 for short) would definitely help.

Yea the IIgs works great when directly wired to the 1084 but it has never worked well with the 1902. I'll attach a close-up of the SS2. The only relevant setting is csync TTL or 75ohm. It only works at all with TTL. Hsync as Csync does what it says and puts csync on the hsync pin. The 1902 is wired up to the terminal block and works great with the Genesis, Atari ST, Amiga. I use the HD15 to connect to my capture device that supports 15khz input and works great with those other devices but also cannot sync to the IIgs signal.

IMG_20200903_083523.jpg

13 minutes ago, H454 said:

Does your 1902 have only DIN jacks(1902A) or on DIN and one 9 pin d-sub(1902)?

Also, did the this set-up work on the 1084 when set to digital RGB/TTL?

1902 is the Fujitsu variant and has a DB9 connector. In case I failed to mention it earlier, it's been upgraded to a 2002 by adding back the missing components so the analog RGB input works, and I've tested it successfully with all the other devices no problem. Only the Apple has the sync issue.

The 1084 is the Philips variant that is a couple years newer and has separate DIN inputs for both digital RGBi and analog and auto-switches when it detects a signal.