IGNORED

MAME HSC ROUND 1/10 - CAPTAIN AMERICA / RAINBOW ISLANDS

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

This up for anyone to join, or gotta sign up somewhere?  I've been interested in the HS clubs I see on here, but can never seem to catch them at the beginning and always tell myself "I'll get in on the next one."  I've always loved Cap and the Gang, so feels like a good place to start.

I checked out the pinned rules thread, but have 2 quick questions, please --

1)  Do I choose one of the 2 games to submit for this round?  Or do I submit a score for both?

2)  The rules say that games will run for 1 week each, but the message listed above says we have until July 12.  This mean I need to submit a score for Cap by today (one week from the posting), and Rainbow Islands by July 12th (date listed above), or we have until July 12th for both (assuming we enter a score for both)?

Thanks!

No sign up, submit a score for both games, each round lasts 2 weeks. You can submit 5 games for random selection

18 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

This up for anyone to join, or gotta sign up somewhere?  I've been interested in the HS clubs I see on here, but can never seem to catch them at the beginning and always tell myself "I'll get in on the next one."  I've always loved Cap and the Gang, so feels like a good place to start.

I checked out the pinned rules thread, but have 2 quick questions, please --

1)  Do I choose one of the 2 games to submit for this round?  Or do I submit a score for both?

2)  The rules say that games will run for 1 week each, but the message listed above says we have until July 12.  This mean I need to submit a score for Cap by today (one week from the posting), and Rainbow Islands by July 12th (date listed above), or we have until July 12th for both (assuming we enter a score for both)?

Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion here.  The "rules" thread pinned in this forum is from an old competition, not the one that is underway right now.  The problem is, I'm trying to run this thing without having moderator privileges for this forum, so I can't pin and unpin threads, etc. 

Here are the highlights you need to know:

- come one, come all; no sign-up needed.  Feel free to participate in as many or as few games as you like, but it is appreciated when you participate in as many games as possible to keep things active.  Even if it's just one or two quick tries to get a score. 

- each new round thread includes links to the needed ROM files and a link to a guaranteed-compatible MAME version (v139)

- if you have games you'd like to see in the competition, feel free to submit up to 5 game suggestions to the "game suggestions thread' in this forum, or PM me.  These will be added to the pool, from which the games for each round are selected using a random number generator.  Lesser known and popular games are both equally welcome.  Please try to make sure the games you pick are games that use joysticks and buttons.

- The standard rounds are 2 weeks long, but there may be some longer rounds (e.g., the final round) that have more than 2 games - TBD.  Just set the games up with the prescribed DIP settings, play the games, and post screenshots of your scores.  Please ensure your scores are achieved while the competition is active; i.e., no submitting photos of your personal best from months or years ago.  :)

- The competition will last 10 rounds total.  After rounds 5 and 9 there will be "redemption rounds" where  you'll be given a chance to submit improved scores for already played games. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Floyd Turbo said:

I happily take last place in Rainbow Island.  There are some games that you just hate and this is one of them for me.  

Definitely, some games click and others don't and it's not always obvious why.  Rainbow Islands, with all of its little techniques and tricks, seems like it might be one of those "slow burn" games that you need to really spend some time with before you know for sure what you think of it.  After a handful of plays, I still find the play mechanics kind of unintuitive, but I will be playing it again. 

On 7/3/2020 at 8:32 AM, youxia said:

Captain America - 79,001

Rainbow Islands - 73,460

Brawlers is one of my favourite genres but I just don't feel CA. Odd game. All these superheroes feel so weak... Still, it's a kinda interesting change from the normal brawler template.

Rainbow Islands is pure genius on the other hand, I finally "got" it, after not understanding it at all while playing all the computer ports. It seems like one of these games which take weeks/months to truly master, and I've only got a few hours :)

I agree on both counts, it's like they brought all the avengers down to Hawkeyes level.

I think i could get good at RI after i spent weeks learning the little secrets

On 6/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, hero2billions said:

I like it when Cap says to Whirlwind "you will be the one escaping"

I think Whirlwind says it to Cap. Still funny though.  Near the end, Cap asks "where's the laser," and Ultron says "Go ask the police!"   ?

A few years ago, I could finish this game on a single credit, but now, after 4 runs (2 were scoreboard worthy, even though one was under "try again"), my fingers hurt.

• Haha 1

Captain America and the Avengers -- 452,801

Got my butt kicked at Ultron (stage 4 boss).   He's a hell of a roadblock, but if you get past him, the next level is a breezy "shooter" stage with a nice, easy couple hundred thousand points to gain.  It doesn't get difficult again until the final boss.

My RI score was so sad, I'm embarrassed to post it until I improve.  ?

0001.jpg

14 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Captain America and the Avengers -- 452,801

Got my butt kicked at Ultron (stage 4 boss).   He's a hell of a roadblock, but if you get past him, the next level is a breezy "shooter" stage with a nice, easy couple hundred thousand points to gain.  It doesn't get difficult again until the final boss.

Wow, that is a great run.

Rainbow Islands -- 525,970

This is shaping up to be a really fun game, now that I'm understanding more of "what the hell's going on here?!?"

I know this game has "a multitude of hidden secrets," according to the link roadrunner posted, but anyone have any educated guesses/pure speculation for what I did to gain an extra couple hundred thousand more points by Round 6 than I got on my Round 7 and Round 8 runs?  I kept the same strategies and play style, and didn't notice anything special in real time.

RI_002.thumb.jpg.779b9a50adab49818878774e7ab235fc.jpg

39 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Rainbow Islands -- 525,970

This is shaping up to be a really fun game, now that I'm understanding more of "what the hell's going on here?!?"

I know this game has "a multitude of hidden secrets," according to the link roadrunner posted, but anyone have any educated guesses/pure speculation for what I did to gain an extra couple hundred thousand more points by Round 6 than I got on my Round 7 and Round 8 runs?  I kept the same strategies and play style, and didn't notice anything special in real time.

RI_002.thumb.jpg.779b9a50adab49818878774e7ab235fc.jpg

The link i posted explains all

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Rainbow_Islands/Getting_Started

• Thanks 1

Rainbow Islands: 679,290

This is really fun!  I never really played this but I played R.I. 2 a lot during a contest so I'm picking it up easier.

Does Captain America only work with certain versions of MAME?  I can't seem to get it to play.

Rainbow Islands (MAME) 679290.png

19 hours ago, S.BAZ said:

Rainbow Islands: 679,290

This is really fun!  I never really played this but I played R.I. 2 a lot during a contest so I'm picking it up easier.

Does Captain America only work with certain versions of MAME?  I can't seem to get it to play.

Rainbow Islands (MAME) 679290.png

Seeing as you're so far ahead, can you PLEASE offer some input on how to fight that first bee boss? I know you're supposed to knock it out by jumping on rainbows over it, but how do you avoid just landing on the bee itself and losing a life?

2 hours ago, AtariWarlord said:

Seeing as you're so far ahead, can you PLEASE offer some input on how to fight that first bee boss? I know you're supposed to knock it out by jumping on rainbows over it, but how do you avoid just landing on the bee itself and losing a life?

You don't have to jump over it at all.  You can just shoot it with the rainbows (takes a bit longer) and focus on not being under him.  If you have the power up to let you shoot 3 rainbows, it's a breeze, really.   you can shoot 3, wait until the boss touches them, and just jump on the end of the rainbows to make all 3 fall, doing lots of damage from a nice, safe distance.  They don't have to fall "on the boss," it still counts if he's in the middle, and you make them fall.

• Like 2