IGNORED

Doggone It!

Thank you Andrew for posting your touching story. I'm humbled and set back in wonder and appreciation. It's amazing to know that each stage of the Game represents those places you mentioned. A detail that I wouldn't have honed to appreciate without the story. Look at the big dog Tinker that i've been avoiding to deliver the packages. It's brave that you decided to write this game as you underwent your treatments and therapy and a test of perseverance that you were able to complete it. Well done Andrew. Thanks for sharing your creation and story with the scene. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Armscar Coder said:

(Please excuse the plug for my favorite Atari 2600 Homebrew show.  I can’t help it that the shirt is comfortable.)

It was a pleasure and an honour to play Doggone It! on ZPH and it was great to finally be able to read your story in full. I'm really looking forward to getting the game in physical form once it winds its way through the postal service competing with all the holiday packages.

image.thumb.png.7b14afccaae45754e1d23c11fa2af631.png

It's so wonderful to see the people and read the stories behind the inspirations of the levels in the game, thank you again for making such a fun and personal game!

- James

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 5

USPS keeps bumping back when my copy is supposed to arrive. Thanks again for making it and sharing it!

I'm a cancer survivor, too (Hodgkin's Lymphoma), and I remember how it felt to reach the two year post treatment mark, and get my port removed finally. Your story resonated with me as well since I also tackled a programming project during my recovery (not Atari-related).

Congrats on getting your project completed, and I hope your break is good. If you have time and energy to participate here in the future either as a developer or enthusiast, I'm sure many of us will look forward t your return.  Cheers and happy holidays to you and your family. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Prizrak said:

Hey @Armscar Coder are there any differences between the binary and the final cart?

Yes, there is only a slight volume change.  As I was learning Assembly language I was pretty determined to make as much of the code mine as possible (part of the reason it took me so long to finish).  I didn't reinvent the wheel on everything.  Among other things, I did use the well established available macros and horizontal positioning subroutine.  The little research I did do told me that sometimes programmers made their games too loud.  This drove my initial release to have as low a volume as possible (value of 1 for AUDV0 and AUDV1).  When the game was played on ZeroPage Homebrew the first time, James and Tanya could barely hear the game, as they had the volume turned way down.  Before ordering the cartridges from Al, I decided to bump up the volume.  I used a couple of other homebrews games to calibrate where the volume should be (Amoeba Jump being one of them, a great game by the way).  I was still really nervous about modifying the code after it was final, so I decided on a very simple change.  At the beginning of the overscan, a value of 2 is loaded into the A register and stored into the VBLANK.  Initially, I used asr to change the A register to a value of 1 before storing it into the volume registers.  The cartridge version uses the snippet of code shown below, replacing the asr with asl, storing a value of 4 into the volume registers.

; Turn on vertical blank.
        lda #2
        sta VBLANK
        asl

sta AUDV0
        sta AUDV1

When I received the first batch of cartridges from Al, I tried them out right away.  When the cartridge version is played on my vintage machine, the first note or two of the title song screen is missed on the first time through.  The title screen song loops continuously and every time it is played thereafter, it is fine.  I went and checked the cartridge binary file on my Harmony cart and it didn't skip the notes.  I tried the cartridge on a Retron77 and it didn't skip the notes.  I must admit, that I was initially very frustrated with this result.  I wanted everything about this game to be perfect.  Then, I caught myself being motivated for the wrong reasons.  I had lost sight of why I made this game.  Doggone It! was developed to honor those that have helped me in my cancer fight.  I was going down this slippery slope, again, of the game being about me (I must give my wife credit for reminding me of this several times in the past).  I am sure there is someone out there that can explain to me why the notes are skipped the first time through and the program fix for it.  But in the end, I decided just to let it go.  Every time I play Doggone It!, I want to hear those notes being skipped to remind me that the game isn't perfect.  Those missing notes were the furthest thing from my mind this past week when I presented the game to my friends, my doctors, and my employer.  But, I am only human, and when I play Doggone It! in the future, I just may need that reminder that this game wasn't about me.

Thanks to everyone for your continued positive feedback.  Special thanks to @KaeruYojimbo and @Karl G for sharing their personal experiences.  Cancer does change a person.  I know it has given me more compassion for others going through similar circumstances, a compassion that I didn't have before.  I consider that the best lasting side effect of my cancer experience.

- Andrew

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Mine arrived today, and I got my highest score yet! The game gets brutal when the dogs are very fast.

131997543_250291386520143_4468111794704773191_n.thumb.jpg.90f0ebedf6160aa865077433b1156d11.jpg131481696_182595653560087_9096944928702588959_n.thumb.jpg.f0ea7afe8857a14d80b1ee496fd556c6.jpg131787073_2832892677032439_5281588042439364958_n.thumb.jpg.0c8da61a6d00993b0b9105a50ebce71a.jpg

This has already been stated, but needs to be said again. The above picture displays some of what went into each CIB. I can honestly say that receiving this package, did feel like a personal gift and I can't thank @Armscar Coderenough for that. Tremendous effort by all involved. This is homebrew at its best!??

• Like 5

Mine arrived today (totally unexpected) I thought it would arrive next year. It is my wife's birthday today, so she thought it is another gift for here. But with this package, my children and I had the pleasure of unwrapping it.

It was already clear from the outside that this is a special parcel packed with a lot of effort and by someone who pays attention to details.

grafik.thumb.png.9bca538ba5328398bc09e7eb16285bf9.png

Thank you so much @Armscar Coder, I really don't know how I deserve this.

• Like 6

I had received my package the other day and had finally had a chance to open it up. It was beautifully put together. When I had opened it with my children, my youngest (3) literally "wowed" when I opened the package And he loved the artwork. My oldest (7) is looking forward to playing this. I can't wait because since we last played my oldest has become better at games and the baby has really gotten excited watching the action on the television. 

Thank you again @Armscar Coder for the thoughtful gift and from my family to yours, we wish you a happy and healthy holiday.

• Like 4

My package arrived today. As others have said, I initially didn't want to open it because it was so lovingly and beautifully packaged in the purple wrap and cord. From the packing box to everything else in it, the love and intent poured into this endeavor are very apparent ❤️ I initially learned about Doggone It from the ZPH show, and now having read about Andrew's journey that culminated in the making and releasing of the game, I feel more honored than before. Thank you, Andrew, for being strong and being an inspiration to all of us.

DogGoneIt-1.thumb.JPG.f3dbdcf1cf0990ed86b7835741d77270.JPG

DogGoneIt-2.thumb.JPG.cea3cbd165296d0b7c1e77e28f9ce5e3.JPG

• Like 6

I second all the sentiments here about the level of care and detail from the shipping, to the box, instructions, pack-ins, and even a box protector. So great. I was blown away opening it up, seconded only by playing it on my actual system on an actual tv. It handles very nicely with a joystick. Here's my first game on cart- under my pb, so something to beat. Those super fast dogs are really hard to get around! I will be showing this game off as a special gem in my collection forever. Thank you again @Armscar Coder!

doggoneit-30k.thumb.JPG.809de600557464edaae9482bafe4871e.JPG

And a question (apologies if you answered this before)- what does the P&M in the delivery company stand for?

Edited by fakecortex
added question
  • Like 2

I have added packaging files to the very first post for those that will not be receiving a physical copy.  The attachments include .pdfs for the manual and Nathan Strum review.  I also included images of the notepad (extra item thrown into the box) as well as a couple of images of the box.

On 12/25/2020 at 2:11 PM, fakecortex said:

And a question (apologies if you answered this before)- what does the P&M in the delivery company stand for?

I also realized that I never answered @fakecortex's question.  I had wondered if someone was going to ask.  Herbie (my graphic designer) came up with the P&M logo (not by my request).  The "P" and "M" represent the initial of the first names of my two children.

Happy new year everyone.

- Andrew

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everything about this project is what's wonderful about life and humankind. It's amazing.

Thank you for helping me find some joy in your story, and your game, during these difficult times.

This whole experience has taken my journey of stumbling into AtariAge in 2020 to a level I never expected. Perhaps there's a way that perhaps the AtariAge store could sell this game, boxed or bare, or maybe even just the ROM file electronically, with any money beyond covering costs benefiting an appropriate cancer charity? I realize that may not be easy, and I'd be willing to lend a hand or financial support to make that happen.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Doggone It! for receiving the awards at this year's 2020 ZeroPage HomeBrew Awards.

Atari 2600 Best HomeBrew (Original) 1st Place

Atari 2600 Best HomeBrew <4K: 1st Place

Atari 2600 Best HomeBrew Packaging: 1st

Atari 2600 Best HomeBrew Graphics: 3rd place

• Like 8