IGNORED

Gaplus and Pac Man CE for NES

I got a chance to play both Gaplus and Pac Man CE on the original NES and wow these are both excellent conversions!  I can't believe Namco ported these to NES for the new compilation.  It's even better that modders have extracted the roms and now they can be played on original hardware!  Gaplus plays perfectly and even gives the arcade version a run for its money.  Pac Man Ce is an awesome demake, but you need to enable expansion audio to hear all of the sounds.  Works great on the Analogue NT.  These two games along with Donkey Kong Pie Factory edition give the NES some great classic arcade games to play.  I also really like some of the enhancement hacks like the Xevious arcade edition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow so they really weren't kidding they were honest NES(FC) titles emulation and all, no added fluff, and so well done original hardware loves it too.  I'm tempted to try and dig those 2 files up for my everdrive+hi def nes kit enabled system as I'm curious how solid they are (more so Gaplus.)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Wow so they really weren't kidding they were honest NES(FC) titles emulation and all, no added fluff, and so well done original hardware loves it too.  I'm tempted to try and dig those 2 files up for my everdrive+hi def nes kit enabled system as I'm curious how solid they are (more so Gaplus.)

I put them on my PowerPak and tried them on both my original toaster nes and my Analogue NT. They worked great on both, but you won't get the expansion audio on an original nes unless you mod it.  I'm sure someone will eventually offer these as homebrew carts.

• Like 1

Mention of the compilations here:

Yes, they are both fun to play.

Gaplus retains a lot of the secrets that the arcade version had, like getting the hypership:

There's another way to get it, by hitting the shooting star 10 times, but I haven't gotten that to work yet.

Has anyone tried that.

later

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 1:52 PM, Noah98 said:

I put them on my PowerPak and tried them on both my original toaster nes and my Analogue NT. They worked great on both, but you won't get the expansion audio on an original nes unless you mod it.  I'm sure someone will eventually offer these as homebrew carts.

Well if that thing works then the everdrive definitely would.  I've got the hi def nes kit in my top loader so I'd get the expansion audio without a problem all the same.

4 hours ago, negative1 said:

Pac Man CE was never an arcade game.

Also, there are many changes in Gaplus, such as screen ratio and timing, but it is still quite close.

later

I agree, Pac Man CE is more "arcade style."  Gaplus is of course not arcade perfect.  I just think it is really fun on the nes.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Well if that thing works then the everdrive definitely would.  I've got the hi def nes kit in my top loader so I'd get the expansion audio without a problem all the same.

It should definitely work on the Everdrive and the hi def nes kit supports the expansion audio, so no worries.

8 hours ago, roadrunner said:

Are the roms for these 2 allowed to be posted here on AA?

I have no authority, but I'd say it's probably not a good idea to publicly post them here.

They're a recent commercial product and I don't think we want to be attracting Namco's attention when a substantial slice of our homebrew scene has celebrated Namco's arcade heritage like many of the fine efforts by PacManPlus on the Atari 7800. Our community seems to have been left alone and if there's knowledge of such projects, it's with awareness that it's small scale, harmless, and done by people that love the heritage of a company like Namco.

And I don't know if it's a rule or not, but Nintendo and Sega roms aren't something I've ever seen shared here. We seem to have an unwritten rule of nothing post-crash with the exception of the Atari 7800. If nothing else, it's one of practicality since we're pretty safe with the average late 1970's and early 1980's rom. But something newly developed that's being sold as part of a $20 compilation by the copyright holder could cross the line and get the wrong kind of attention.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I have no authority, but I'd say it's probably not a good idea to publicly post them here.

They're a recent commercial product and I don't think we want to be attracting Namco's attention when a substantial slice of our homebrew scene has celebrated Namco's arcade heritage like many of the fine efforts by PacManPlus on the Atari 7800. Our community seems to have been left alone and if there's knowledge of such projects, it's with awareness that it's small scale, harmless, and done by people that love the heritage of a company like Namco.

And I don't know if it's a rule or not, but Nintendo and Sega roms aren't something I've ever seen shared here. We seem to have an unwritten rule of nothing post-crash with the exception of the Atari 7800. If nothing else, it's one of practicality since we're pretty safe with the average late 1970's and early 1980's rom. But something newly developed that's being sold as part of a $20 compilation by the copyright holder could cross the line and get the wrong kind of attention.

Ok, thanks for the info

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

NICE glad someone did that, they do the Pac-Man one too?

Personally, you know what I'd pay to have done to look all legit, hoping they'd use the unreleased games Vidpro card art for the sticker... SIM CITY for NES.  Oh yes I'd buy that, even if I do have an everdrive.

I did not see Pac Man CE. But here is the link to the Gaplus carts, 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gaplus-Galaga-III-72-pin-8-bit-Game-Cartridge-NES/114614324460?hash=item1aaf8bccec:g:2FkAAOSwTWpf9FRQ 

• Like 1

I can do better than $32.97 plus shipping and waiting for China for Galaga 3. Pacman CE is a real bitch to make as there are very few donors using the mapper needed and most use gloptop not dip package chips that can be replaced with new eproms. I personally don't know of any new homebrew pcb's that support that mapper either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I can do better than $32.97 plus shipping and waiting for China for Galaga 3. Pacman CE is a real bitch to make as there are very few donors using the mapper needed and most use gloptop not dip package chips that can be replaced with new eproms. I personally don't know of any new homebrew pcb's that support that mapper either.

'I can do better than $32.97 plus shipping and waiting for China for Galaga 3'. 

I wish I had known you make repros, I would have asked you first.

Edited by Trinity