IGNORED

Back to CRT

eightbit

I have been using my Jaguar with modern devices (SCART to HDMI, RetroTink2X SCART, OSSC..etc) for some time now. But call me crazy....it just didn't look and feel like it did when I was younger. So, I hunted down a CRT locally over the weekend. It was free, works and came with the remote. It does have component connections so I will be connecting the Jag to this using the HDRetroVision cables and the SNES2JAG when they arrive. For now this is temporarily connected via RF. Even still, pretty amazed at how well RF can do on a CRT. I totally forgot that. And, I love convex glass screens. Really takes me back ;)

Its no Trinitron, but it is pretty decent and heavy! I actually have a Trinitron in the attic. One of those nice flat screen Wega style sets. But it is junk now. The heat/cold of that attic really screwed with it :(

IMG_20200628_212744.jpg

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 11

5 minutes ago, eightbit said:

I have been using my Jaguar with modern devices (SCART to HDMI, RetroTink2X SCART, OSSC..etc) for some time now. But call me crazy....it just didn't look and feel like it did when I was younger. So, I hunted down a CRT locally over the weekend. It was free, works and came with the remote. It does have component connections so I will be connecting the Jag to this using the HDRetroVision cables and the SNES2JAG when they arrive. For now this is temporarily connected via RF. Even still, pretty amazed at how well RF can do on a CRT. I totally forgot that. And, I love convex glass screens. Really takes me back ;)

Its no Trinitron, but it is pretty decent and heavy! I actually have a Trinitron in the attic. One of those nice flat screen Wega style sets. But it is junk now. The heat/cold of that attic really screwed with it :(

IMG_20200628_212744.jpg

That is a very nostalgic setup. Reminds me of my set up as a teenager! Now pop in that K-A Aircars cart and get busy! Lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JagChris said:

I've had an HDTV for almost two years and never hooked it up. Finally did and am ehhhh... Not the same

It can be really good (like eye poppingly good) with the right equipment, but it was always just "too sharp" for me. I think a lot of newcomers that never grew up with CRT televisions would probably be turned off by the picture. But this is what I grew up on. All the way up to the Dreamcast, PS2 and even the Wii I was using a CRT TV. It wasn't until maybe 2008 or 2009 that the flat panel displays became affordable enough for me to buy....and that is where the problems began. Fighting with getting the picture on these consoles (and other stuff like older DVD players, LD players, etc) to look good was such a hassle...and a costly one. And, learning about "lag" and trying to deal with that was a pain as well.

So much simpler when I was growing up with CRT tv's. We didn't even call them "CRT". It was just a TV. You went for the largest size you could afford and be able to lift :) Plugged in all of your game systems and away you went.

Times were so simple back then....

• Like 3

That TV is a beauty man! Being 53 and having had a TV most of my life that was a TUBE I totally get it. Oh don't get me wrong, I love the 43' SHARP 4k TV the brother in law bought us a couple years ago, I could never go back but for consoles that came out during the reign of CRT I totally have no issue playing on the displays they were designed for! 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

That TV is a beauty man! Being 53 and having had a TV most of my life that was a TUBE I totally get it. Oh don't get me wrong, I love the 43' SHARP 4k TV the brother in law bought us a couple years ago, I could never go back but for consoles that came out during the reign of CRT I totally have no issue playing on the displays they were designed for! 

I totally hear you! Same here...flat screen TV's (non-CRT) are "new" to me as well. It's funny because I have a 16 year old that vaguely remembers the glass CRT tv we had when she was born in 2004, and the other has no recollection of them as she was born in 2010. She thought it was so "weird" that the TV screen was made out of glass ;)

Ash likes this TV too ;)

IMG_20200628_134515.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Nice set up!

Thanks, pal!  I bought my first home in March and got a HUGE, beautifully-finished man-cave basement to boot.  Finally able to set up all my goodies just the way I have always wanted to.  That's a Super Pong on the right speaker, a 27" Sony Trinitron, a Pioneer CLV LaserDisc player playing Lion King, and an Onkyo AVR pushing two of their consumer-grade 12" 3-way towers.  Really looks and sounds wonderful...

...until my wife starts doing laundry in the next room. ?

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pixelmischief said:

Thanks, pal!  I bought my first home in March and got a HUGE, beautifully-finished man-cave basement to boot.  Finally able to set up all my goodies just the way I have always wanted to.  That's a Super Pong on the right speaker, a 27" Sony Trinitron, a Pioneer CLV LaserDisc player playing Lion King, and an Onkyo AVR pushing two of their consumer-grade 12" 3-way towers.  Really looks and sounds wonderful...

I had a similar set up as you 10 years ago but with a huge wooden entertainment center flanked by Mach 2s'. The magnets were so strong on the 15s that I had to line the entertainment center with aluminum foil to prevent them from screwing the screen up!

1 hour ago, pixelmischief said:

Pioneer CLD-D704?

I had one BITD.  Absolutely beautiful thing, and still the best home audio experience ever.  I swear they must dumb down the DTS on modern home movies, it just doesn't sound the same.

I'm pretty much the same way.  I started out with an XRGB mini a few years back and it just never looked right to me.  Since then I do all my standard def gaming only on CRTs.  I have a few CRT setup in my game room of various size so I can have several systems setup at once.

I think it all depends on the source.  PlayStation 2 / Dreamcast (generation) and newer consoles usually look great on modern tvs, but older pixel based games/systems, definitely look better on CRTs...no doubt about it.  I recently started playing some of the old PS1 generation Namco Musuem discs (Galaga, Pac-Man, Gaplus and the likes), and while they look fine/good/sharp on an older (albeit high end at the time of release) Sharp Aquos 14" LCD, they look a helluva lot more arcade accurate and crisp, with the visible pixel/scan lines that my Advent 14" CRT displays.  From everything I've seen, I think the N64 looks the worst out of all of the systems on modern TVs, but how much of that is due to the size of modern TVs, versus what we use to use.  I remember playing old PC games on a 13" or 14" screen back in the day, and now if I play those same games on a 20"/21" monitor, the large size really displays worse...in my opinion.  

I've been playing Ruiner Pinball on this CRT and am blown away. I have previously been playing it through an OSSC to pixel sharp perfection....but I can see now that this is certainly NOT what the programmers had in mind. It looks a lot cleaner on a CRT by a mile. I think it would be quite difficult for these modern boxes to replicate this. It's not smoothing....softer maybe? But in any case, night and day between a CRT TV and the modern solutions.

Funny that I have lived my entire life on CRT TV's up until around 2008 I think...thereafter it was flat screens all the way. Now I am "rediscovering" why I thought my games looked and played so good when I was a kid. It was the TV of course ;)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 4

CRT TVs are definitely the best way to enjoy these games.  They were designed to be displayed in this format and look sharper and clearer to my eyes with a good S-video or SCART connection than any upscaling I've seen.  I've plugged my Jag, Neo Geo and PS1 into a modern 37" flat screen and it just doesn't do it for me.  The only problem with CRT is the depth and weight of the bloody things!

The first system that genuinely embraced higher screen resolution was the Dreamcast and its VGA adapter.  These games look great on modern TVs at 480p (never felt the need to upscale this further).

The one system that really benefits from modern screen technology is the Lynx with the McWill screen.  The original LCD really was the limiting factor because these old games look truly stunning with the McWill.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 11:48 PM, gilsaluki said:

For my gaming fun, it's CRT all the way.  I have a few, all 13".  My Samsung is brilliant, vibrant.  AND, I can lightgun, and lightpen with it.

Yes, how did I forget about light guns!  House of the Dead 2 on the Dreamcast = AWESOME!!

13 hours ago, doctor_shred said:

House of the Dead 2 on the Dreamcast = AWESOME!!

One the early tasks I had at my day job was debugging some crash that only occurred after a long play session in one of the House of the Dead games.  It would run through some demo mode over and over and then crash.  Worst part was it looked awesome and we had no way to actually play it!  Got it worked out eventually, and when it was done they sent us a full cabinet and we played that thing quite a bit.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 6:25 AM, danny_galaga said:

Nice one eightbit! I have about 8 CRTs all stored away for now but we are moving into our new house in a couple of months so I'll be sure to set up the 68 cm again ?

You beat me, but I have two now ;) Just picked up this nice Trinitron 27 inch Wega with stand and remote for again the cost of free locally. FB Marketplace is the bomb! The JVC is safe....just in climate controlled storage now because the picture on the Wega obviously kills it.

IMG_20200712_194712.jpg

IMG_20200712_194629.jpg

IMG_20200712_191753.jpg

IMG_20200712_191728.jpg

IMG_20200712_191713.jpg

IMG_20200712_185405.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/30/2020 at 11:16 PM, eightbit said:

I've been playing Ruiner Pinball on this CRT and am blown away. I have previously been playing it through an OSSC to pixel sharp perfection....but I can see now that this is certainly NOT what the programmers had in mind. It looks a lot cleaner on a CRT by a mile. I think it would be quite difficult for these modern boxes to replicate this. It's not smoothing....softer maybe? But in any case, night and day between a CRT TV and the modern solutions.

Funny that I have lived my entire life on CRT TV's up until around 2008 I think...thereafter it was flat screens all the way. Now I am "rediscovering" why I thought my games looked and played so good when I was a kid. It was the TV of course ;)

I would need to play this one again, but one thing I did notice immediately when I moved over to s-video on Jaguar (Now RGB) was that many jaguar games used dithering in them to simulate more colors. I don't know about Ruiner, but Pinball Fantasies does this. It is most noticed on Stones N Bones where the top ramp on the left looks transparent on an CRT, but looks like a waffle iron on RGB/S-video on a modern display. Still, I prefer the overall sharpness for most games that I'm good with it and don't see myself ever putting a CRT in permanent use in my game room ever again.

• Like 1